Capture of nitrate from soil by wheat in relation to root length, nitrogen inflow and availability
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 128, Issue 2, pages 297–305, October 1994
How to Cite
ROBINSON, D., LINEHAN, D. J. and GORDON, D. C. (1994), Capture of nitrate from soil by wheat in relation to root length, nitrogen inflow and availability. New Phytologist, 128: 297–305. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1994.tb04013.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 19 October 1993; accepted 26 May 1994)
- 1970. Rout density and competition for nutrients. Oecologia Plantarum 5: 319–334. , .
- 1975. A quantitative analysis of the factors affecting plant nutrient uptake from soils. Journal of Sail Science 26: 195–206. .
- 1987. Studies of intact shoot-root systems of field-grown winter wheat. II. Root and shoot developmental patterns as related to nitrogen fertilizer. Agronomy Journal 79: 310–319. , , .
- 1993. The contribution of different regions of the seminal roots of wheat to uptake of nitrate from soil. In: BarrowNJ, ed. Plant nutrition from genetic engineering to field practice. Dordrecht : Kluwer, 169–172. , , .
- 1991. Short- and long-term effect of a change in the spatial distribution of nitrate in the of zone on N uptake, growth and root development of young lettuce plants. Plant Cell and Environment 14: 21–33. .
- 1988. Effect of nitrogen stress and abscisic acid on nitrate absorption and transport in barley and tomato. Plant 173: 340–351. , , , .
- 1968. The uptake of nitrogen from soils in relation to solute diffusion. Australian Journal of Soil Research 6: 75–92. , .
- 1968. Relationships between soil volume used by roots and nutrient accessibility. Journal of Soil Science 19: 291–301. .
- 1975. The mathematics of diffusion. 2nd ed. Oxford : Clarendon Press.
- 1969. Genetic variability in root development in relation to drought tolerance in spring wheats. Experimental Agriculture 5: 327–337. , , .
- 1975. Comparison of the effects of a localized supply of phosphate, nitrate, ammonium and potassium on the growth of the seminal root system, and the shorn, in barley. The New Phytologistogist 75: 479–490. .
- 1975. Nutrient supply and the growth of the seminal root system in barley. II. Localized, compensatory increases in lateral root growth and rates of nitrate uptake when nitrate supply is restricted to only pan of the root system. Journal of Experimental Botany 26: 79–90. , .
- 1978. Nutrient supply and the growth of the seminal root system in barley. III, Compensatory increases in growth of lateral roots and in rates of phosphate uptake, in response to a localized supply of phosphate. Journal of Experimental Botany 29: 435–451. , .
- 1978. Plant growth analysis. London : Edward Arnold.
- 1989. Short-term partitioning of ammonium and nitrate between plants and microbes in an annual grassland. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 21: 409–415. , , .
- 1989. The timing and degree of root proliferation in fertile-soil microsites for three cold-desert perennials. Oecologia 81: 149–153. , .
- 1991. Kinetic responses of Pseudoroegneria roots to localized soil enrichment. Plant and Soil 138: 231–238. ,
- 1982. Selectivity and kinetics of ion uptake by barley plants following nutrient deficiency. Annals of Botany 50: 429–449. .
- 1991. Comparative water uptake by roots of different ages in seedlings of loblolly pine (Pinns taeda L.). The New Phytologistogist 119: 551–560. , , .
- 1987. Tile effect of soil strength on the growth of young wheat plants. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 14: 643–656. , .
- 1991. Physicochemical and environmental plant physiology London : Academic Press. .
- 1977. Solute movement in the soil-root system. Oxford : Blackwell Scientific Publications. , .
- 1986. Limits to nutrient inflow rates in roots and root systems. Physiology Plantarum 68: 551–559.
- 1991. Efficiency of crop root systems in nutrient capture. SCRI Annual Report. 1990. Dundee: Scottish Crop Research Institute, pp. 49–51.
- 1994. The responses of plants to non-uniform supplies of nutrients. The New Phytologistogist 124 (in the press).
- 1991. What limits nitrate uptake from soil Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 77–85. , ,
- 1983. A comparison of the responses of Lolium perenne (L.) Holcus lanatus (L.) and Deschampsia flexuosa (L.) Trin. to a localized supply of nitrogen. The New Phytologistogist 94: 263–273. , .
- 1982. The kinetic of ammonium and nitrate uptake by young rice plants. Plant and Soil 69: 225–232. , , , .