Leaf anatomy, specific mass and water content in congeneric annual and perennial grass species
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 128, Issue 4, pages 725–736, December 1994
How to Cite
GARNIER, E. and LAURENT, G. (1994), Leaf anatomy, specific mass and water content in congeneric annual and perennial grass species. New Phytologist, 128: 725–736. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1994.tb04036.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (45-Received 21 April 1994: accepted 28 July 1994)
- 1990 Nitrogen use efficiency in evergreen and deciduous Species From heathlands. Oecologia 84: 391–397.
- 1989 The effect of changing sowing date on leaf structure and gas exchange characteristics of wheat flag leaves grown under Mediterranean climate conditions. Journal of Experimental Botany 40:639–646. , ,
- 1990 Precis de microscopie quantitative Paris : INSERM Editions.
- 1977 Effects of light and temperature on leaf anatomy and photosynthesis in Fragaria vesca. Oecologia 26: 363–377. , .
- 1950 An introduction to plant physiology. New York : McGraw-Hill. , .
- 1974 Morphological and anatomical features of alfalfa leaves as related to CO2 exchange. Crop Science 14: 444–447. , .
- 1989a A physiological analysis of Kinetic variation in relative growth rate within Plantago major L. Functional Ecology 3: 577–587. ,
- 1989b Analysis of specific leaf area and photosynthesis of two inbred lines of Plantago major differing; in relative growth rate. New Phytologist 113: 283–290. ,
- 1976 Leaf morphology and anatomy in relation to CO2 exchange rate in soybean leaves. Crop Science 16: 377–381. ,
- 1979 Zeigerwerte der Gefäßpflanzen Mittel-europas. Scripts Geobotanica, vol. ix (2nd edn).
- 1965 Photosynthesis among species in relation to characteristics of leaf anatomy and CO2 diffusion resistance. Crop Science 5; 517–521. ,
- 1964 A comparison of some aspects of the anatomy and morphology of Italian ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum Lam.) and perennial ryegrass (L. perenne L.). New Zealand Journal of Botany 2: 120–130. .
- 1992 Growth analysis of congeneric annual and perennial grass species. Journal of Ecology 80: 665–675.
- 1994 On ecological inference from laboratory data conducted under optimum conditions. In: RoyJ, GarnierE, eds. A whole plant perspective on carbon nitrogen interactions The Hague : SPB Academic Publishing. 267–292. , .
- 1994 Carbon and nitrogen content of congeneric annual and perennial grass species: relationships with growth. Plant, Cell and Environment 17: 399–407. ,
- 1975 Relative growth rate; its range and adaptive significance in a local flora. Journal of Ecology 63: 393–422. ,
- 1992 Interspecific variation in fruit shape: allometry, phylogeny, and adaptation to dispersal agents. Ecology 73: 1832–1841. .
- 1984 Anatomical variation in first leaves of nine Triticum genotypes, and its relationship to photosynthetic capacity. New Phytologist 96: 371–382. , .
- 1982 Effects of light and nutrients on leaf size, CO2 exchange, and anatomy in wild strawberry (Fragaria virginiana). Plant Physiology 70: 1044–1048. , , .
- 1990 Has leaf anatomy of Triticum and Aegilops species in relation to photosynthetic rate. Annals of Botany 66: 359–365. , , , .
- 1994 Leaf anatomy of two Lycopersicon species with contrasting gas exchange properties. Crop Science 34: 108–113. , , ,
- 1987 A system for controlling the root and shoot environment for plain growth studies. Environmental and Experimental Botany 27: 365–377. , , , .
- 1987 In situ photosynthetic responses to light, temperature and carbon dioxide in herbaceous plants from low and high altitude. Functional Ecology 1: 179–194. ,
- 1992 Inherent variation in growth rate between higher plants: a search for physiological causes and ecological consequences. Advances in Ecological Research 23: 187–261. ,
- 1961 A nutritional interpretation of sclerophylly based on differences in the chemical composition of sclerophyllous and mesophytic leaves. Annals of Botany 25: 168–184. .
- 1993 Physiological basis and ecological significance of the seed size and relative growth rate relationship in Mediterranean annuals. Functional Ecology 7: 591–599. , .
- 1990 Components of relative growth rate and sensitivity to nitrogen availability in annual and perennial species of Bromus. Oecologia 84: 513–518. ,
- 1992 Differences m relative growth rare in 11 grasses correlate with differences in chemical composition as determined by pyrolysis mass spectrometry. Oecologia 89: 567–571. , , , , .
- 1983 Biophysical plant physiology unit ecology San Francisco : W.H Freeman and Company. .
- 1986 Physiological and anatomical aspects of photosynthesis of two Agrostis species st a sub-antarctic island. New Phytologist 102: 143–160. , , .
- 1983 The ecological implications of body size Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. .
- 1977 Energy allocation in annual and perennial lupines (Lupinus: Leguminosae). Ecology 58: 1055–1065. .
- 1993 Reconciling apparent discrepancies among studies relating life span, structure and function of leaves in contrasting plant life forms and climates: ‘the blind men and the elephant retold’. Functional Ecology 7: 721–725. .
- 1969 A comparison of the morphology and anatomy of seedling leaves of Lolium multiflorum Lam. and L. perenne L. Annals of Botany 33: 303–313. .
- 1987 Effects of CO2, enrichment on four Great Basin grasses. Functional Ecology 1: 139–143. , , .
- 1965 Growth patterns of some native annual and perenntal herbs in southern Wisconsin. Ecology 46: 401–420. .
- 1977 Direct and correlated responses to selection for specific leaf weight in reed canary-grass. Crop Science 17: 765–769. , , .
- 1994 The chemical composition and anatomical structure of leaves of grass species differing in relative growth rate. Plant, Cell and Environment (in the press). ,
- 1967 Physiology of growth in two Senecio species in relation to their ecological position, Jaarboek Instituut voor Biologisch en Scheikundig Onderzoek van Landbouwgewassen. Wageningen 346: 75–83. .
- 1992 The grass genera of the world Wallingford : CAB International. , .
- 1967 Assimilation in Lolium in relation to leaf mesophyll. Nature 214: 989–992. , .
- 1969 Apparent photosynthesis and leaf characters in relation to leaf position and ape. among contrasting Lolium genotypes. New Phytologist 68, 645–655. , .
- 1976a Variation of leaf characteristics with level of insertion on a grass tiller. 1. Development rate, chemical composition and dry matter digestibility. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 27: 343–354. .
- 1976b Variation of leaf characteristics with level of insertion on a grass tiller. II. Anatomy. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 27: 355–364. .
- 1991 Leaf specific mass confounds leaf density and thickness. Oecologia 88: 486–493. , .