We wish to thank Andrew Humpage and Mark Tester for helpful discussions, David Hein for skilled technical assistance and The Australian Research Council for financial support.
Transfer of phosphate from fungus to plant in VA mycorrhizas: calculation of the area of symbiotic interface and of fluxes of P from two different fungi to A Allium porrum L.
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 127, Issue 1, pages 93–99, May 1994
How to Cite
SMITH, S. E., DICKSON, S., MORRIS, C. and SMITH, F. A. (1994), Transfer of phosphate from fungus to plant in VA mycorrhizas: calculation of the area of symbiotic interface and of fluxes of P from two different fungi to A Allium porrum L. New Phytologist, 127: 93–99. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1994.tb04262.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- Received 11 August 1993; accepted 8 January 1994
- 1988. Dynamics of arbuscule development and degeneration in mycorrhizas of Triticum aestivum L. and Avena saliva L. with reference to Zea mays L. AW Phytologist 110: 363–398. , , ,
- 1989. Dynamics of arbuscule development and degeneration in onion, bean and tomato with reference to vesicular arbuscular mycorrhizal with grasses. Canadian Journal of Botany 67: 2505–2513. , , ,
- 1959. Phosphorus assay in column chromatography. Journal of Biological Chemistry 234: 466–468.
- 1983. Physiology and metabolism of phosphate and its compounds. In: LauchliA. BielsekiRL, eds. Encyclopaedia of plant physiology. Vol 15a Inorganic plant nutrition. Berlin, Heidelberg. New York : Springer Verlag. 422–429. ,
- 1975. Phosphate physiology of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizas. In: SandersFE, MosseB, TinkerPB, eds. Endomycorrhizas. London : Academic Press, 241–260. , ,
- 1972. Nutrient flow rates into roots. Soils and Fertilisers 35: 355–399. ,
- 1993. Efflux of phosphate from the ectomycorrhizal basidiomycete Pisolithus tinctorius: general characteristics and the influence of intracellular phosphorus concentration. Mycological Research 97: 1261–1266. ,
- 1976. Translocation and transfer of nutrients in vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizas. I. The arbuscule and phosphorus transfer: a quantitative ultrastructural study. New Phytologist 77: 371–378. ,
- 1991. Enzymatic studies on the metabolism of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizas. V. Is H+-ATPase a component of ATP-hydrolysing enzyme activities in plant-fungus interfaces New Phytologist 117: 61–74. , , ,
- 1983. Mycorrhizal symbiosis. London, New York ; Academic Press. ,
- 1992. External hyphae of vesicular- arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi associated with Tri-folium subterraneum L. I. Spread of hyphae and phosphorus inflow into roots. New Phytologist 120: 171–380. , ,
- 1982. Enzymatic studies on the metabolism of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza. IV. Ultracytoenzymological evidence (ATPase) for active transfer processes in the host-arbuscular interface. New Phytologist 90: 17–43. , , ,
- 1989. Solute efflux to the apoplast at plant/ microorganism interfaces. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 16: 53–67.
- 1993. The relative contribution of hyphae and roots to phosphorus uptake by arbuscular mycorrhizal plants measured by dual labelling with 32P and 33P, New Phytologist 124: 489–494. ,
- 1970. Improved procedures for clearing roots and staining parasitic and vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi for rapid assessment of infection. Trans-actions of the British Mycological Society 55: 158–160. ,
- 1973. Phosphate flow into mycorrhizal roots. Pesticide Science 4 385–395. ,
- 1977. The development of endomycorrhizal root systems. 1. Spread of infection and growth promoting effects with four species of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizas. New Phytologist 78: 257–268. , , ,
- 1991. Regulation of nutrient transfer between host and fungus in vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizas. New Phytologist 117: 387–398. , ,
- 1994. Phosphate transfer in VA mycorrhizas - special mechanisms or not? Proceedings of the 4th international symposium on structure and function of roots (in the press). , , , , ,
- 1981. Mycorrhizal infection and growth of Trifolium subterraneum; comparison of natural and artificial inocula. Nm Phytologist 88: 311–325. ,
- 1989. Membrane transport at the biotrophic interface: an overview. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 16: 33–43. ,
- 1982. Inflow of phosphate into mycorrhizal and non-mycorrhizal plants of Trifolium subterraneum at different levels of soil phosphate. New Phytologist 90: 293–303.
- 1991. Quantification of active vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza) infection using image analysis and other techniques. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 18: 637–648. ,
- 1988. Physiological interactions between symbionts in vesicular arbuscular mycorrhizal plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Molecular Biology 39: 221–244. ,
- 1990. Structure and function of the interfaces in biotrophic symbioses as they relate to nutrient transport. New Phytologist 114: 1–38. ,
- 1986. Effect of mycorrhizal infection on plant growth, nitrogen and phosphorus nutrition of glasshouse-grown Allium cepa L. New Phytologist 103: 359–373. , , ,
- 1993. The effect of fungicides on vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis J. The effects of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and plant growth. New Phytologist 125: 139–147. , ,
- 1975. A test of a modified line intersect method of estimating root length. Journal of Ecology 63: 995–4001.
- 1975. Effects of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizas on higher plants. Symposium of the Society for Experimental Biology 29: 325–329.
- 1969. Stereology. or the quantitative evaluation of microstructures. Journal of Microscopy 89: 161–180.