Evaluation of air pollution phytotoxicity in a seasonally dry tropical urban environment using three woody perennials
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 126, Issue 1, pages 53–61, January 1994
How to Cite
PANDEY, J. and AGRAWAL, M. (1994), Evaluation of air pollution phytotoxicity in a seasonally dry tropical urban environment using three woody perennials. New Phytologist, 126: 53–61. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1994.tb07529.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 9 March 1993; accepted 30 August 1993)
- 1982. A study of phytotoxicity of ozone and sulphur dioxide pollutants. Ph.D. thesis, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India.
- 1989. Phytomonitoring of air pollution around a thermal power plant. Atmospheric Environment 23: 763–765. ,
- 1991. Biomonitoring of air pollution around urban and industrial sites. Journal of Environmental Biology. Special issue , 211–222. , , ,
- 1988. Crop growth along a of ambient air pollution. Environmental Pollution 53: 49–121. , ,
- 1988. Effects of ambient air pollution on crop sites in and around London. In: Mathy, P. ed. Air pollution and ecosystems. Dordrecht : Reidel, 641–646. , ,
- 1952. Atmospheric pollution and plant growth. Nature 169: 376–477.
- 1992. Long term effects of ozone and simulated acid rain on the foliage dynamics of slash pine (Pinus elliotti var. elliotti Engelm). New Phytologist 120 61–67. , ,
- 1990. Biological indicator: Role in conservation of nature Biological indicator 1: 3–7.
- 1990. Relationships between foliar injury and changes in antioxidant levels in red and Norway spruce exposed to acidic mists. Environmental Pollution 68: 1–15. , ,
- 1925. Smoke: a study of town air. London : Edward Arnold. ,
- 1984. Biochemical diagnostic tests for the effect of air pollutants on plants. In: Koziol MJ, Whatley FB, eds. Gaseous air pollutants and plant metabolism. London : Butterworth, 333–350. ,
- 1986. Air pollution status of Indian cities 1971–82. Five year review. Proceedings of Clean Air Congress 86: 410–421.
- 1968. Mapping atmospheric pollution in the basis of lichen sensitivity. In: Mishra R, Gopal B, eds. Proceedings of a symposium on recent advances in tropical ecology . Varanasi, India, 42–56. ,
- 1982. Leaf senescence: correlated with increased levels of membrane permeability and lipid peroxidation, and decreased levels of superoxide dismutase and catalase. Journal of Experimental Botany 32, 93–101. , ,
- 1989. Effects of open-top fumigations with SO2, NO2 and ozone on the native herb layer of a beech forest. Environmental and Experimental Botany 29: 199–213.
- 1970. A biological scale for the estimation of sulphur dioxide pollution. New Phytologist 69: 629–634.
- 1982. Ascorbic acid and the illuminated chloroplast. In: Seib PA, Tolbert BW, eds. Ascorbic acid: Chemistry, metabolism and uses. Advances in chemistry series, vol. 200. American Chemical Society Publication, 263–274.
- 1989. Free radicals in medicine and biology, 2nd edn. Oxford : Clarendon Press, 277–289. ,
- 1970. Qualitative scale for estimating sulphur dioxide air pollution in England and Wales using epiphytic lichens. Nature 227: 145–148. ,
- 1991. Adaptation of a white clover population to ozone stress. New Phytologist 119: 61–668. , , , ,
- 1981. Effects of air pollution on crop production. In Mendl WJ, ed. Strategies of plant production , BARC Symposium no. 6, 333–350. , , ,
- 1991. Acclimation to ozone stress in radish: leaf demography and photosynthesis. New Phytologist 118: 417–423. , ,
- 1979. Compensatory growth of tall fescue following drought. Agronomy Journal 71: 559–563. ,
- 1983. Air pollutants and effects on plants. In: Ulrich B, Pankrath J, eds. Effects of accumulation of air pollutants in forest ecosystem. Dordrecht : Reidel, 285–294.
- 1977. Air pollution and ascorbic acid. European Journal of Forest Pathology 7: 338–350. ,
- 1972a. The epiphytic vegetation of Populus balsamifera and its significance as air pollution indicator in Sudbury. Ontario. Canadian Journal of Botany 50: 519–528. , ,
- 1972b. Indices of atmospheric purity and fluoride pollution in Arvida, Quebec. Canadian Journal of Botany 50: 991–998. , ,
- 1984. Differential ozone tolerance in soybean and snapbeans: Analysis of ascorbic acid in O3-susceptible and O3-resistant cultivars by high performance liquid chromatography. Environmental and Experimental Botany 24: 331–341. , , ,
- 1963. Plastid structure, chlorophyll concentration and free amino acid composition of a chlorophyll mutant of barley. Canadian Journal of Botany 41: 1053–1062. ,
- 1984. Biochemical and biophysical impact of minor pollutants. In: Treshow M, ed. Air pollution and plant life. New York : Wiley, 113–157. ,
- 1980. Seasonal physiological response of white pine under chronic air pollution stress. Environmental and Experimental Botany 20: 99. , ,
- 1981. Effects of urban air pollution on plant Growth. Biological Review 56: 343–368. ,
- 1986. Impact of surface transport on air environment of major cities in India. Proceedings of 7th World Clean Air Congress Sydney, Australia 4: 353–362.
- 1987. Induction of ascorbate peroxidase and glutathione reductase activities by interactions of mixtures of air pollutants. Free Radical Research Communication 3: 193–197. , , ,
- 1986. Effect of SO2 and O3 on production of antioxidants in conifers. Plant Physiology 82: 316–338. , , ,
- 1968. Ecology work book. Calcutta : Oxford and IBH Publishing Co.
- 1988. Studies on impact of soil and air pollution on vegetation of certain areas of Hyderabad. Ph.D. thesis. Osmania University, Hyderabad, India.
- NEERI 1981. Annual report on national air quality monitoring net work (1980–81): Summary of air quality data on selected Indian cities, vols I & II. Nagpur : Air Pollution Division, NEERI.
- 1991. Phytomonitoring of air pollution in an urban environment. Emerging issues in Asia, Proceedings of the 2nd IUAPPA Regional Conference on Air Pollution, Seoul, Korea 1: 317–320. ,
- 1992. Ozone concentration variabilities in a seasonally dry tropical climate. Environment International 18: 515–520. ,
- 1992. Air pollutant concentrations in Varanasi, India Atmospheric Environment 26B: 91–8. , , , ,
- 1985. Plants as bioindicators for atmospheric pollution. In: Numberg HW, ed. Pollutants and their ecotoxicological significance. New York : Wiley, 55–65.
- 1992. Effects of a short ozone exposure given at different stages in the development of Plantago Major L. New Phytologist 121: 643–647. ,
- 1961. Suggested methods for turbidimetric determination of sulphate in water. Journal of American Water Works Association 53: 873. ,
- 1983. Breakdown of photosynthetic pigments and lipids in Spinach leaves with ozone fumigation: Role of activated oxygen. Physiologia Plantarum 59: 28–34. , ,
- 1980. Active oxygen participation in chlorophyll destruction and lipid peroxidation in SO2 exposed leaves of spinach. Plant Cell Physiology 21: 1193–1204. , , ,
- 1991, Air pollution tolerance index of plants. Journal of Environmental Management 32: 45–55. , , , ,
- 1984. Response of honey locust cultivars to air pollution stress in an urban environment. Journal of Arboriculture 10: 289–293. ,
- 1987. SO2 sensitivity of plant Communities in a beech forest. Environmental Pollution 44: 297–306. ,
- 1992. NRC faults science, behind ozone regs. Science 256: 26.
- 1977. Changes in growth rate and nitrogen content of tomato plants after exposure to NO2. Phytopathology 67: 1130–1133. ,
- 1986. Use of sulphur content in Nerium indicum for monitoring sulphur dioxide pollution in Delhi. In: Ambasht RS, ed. Recent Advances in environmental biology, Varanasi : The Tara Printing Works, 66–71.
- 1984. Effects for SO2 on ascorbic acid in crop plants. Environmental Pollution (series A) 35: 285–290. ,
- 1980. Biochemical responses of plants in nitric oxide polluted atmosphere Environmental Pollution (series A) 22: 219–228. , ,
- 1981. Biochemical explanations of more than additive inhibitory low atmospheric levels of SO2 and NO2 upon plants. New Phytologist 88: 223–237. , , ,
- 1992, Action of pollutants individually and in combination In: Barker JR, Tingey DT, eds. Air pollution effects on biodiversity New York : Van Nostrand Reinhold, 72–91. , , ,