School of Biological Science, University of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9QG, UK.
Impact of O3 and SO2 on reproductive development in oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.)
II. Reproductive site losses
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 126, Issue 1, pages 71–79, January 1994
How to Cite
BOSAC, C., ROBERTS, J. A., BLACK, V. J. and BLACK, C. R. (1994), Impact of O3 and SO2 on reproductive development in oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.). New Phytologist, 126: 71–79. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1994.tb07531.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 11 June 1993; accepted 20 September 1993)
- 1991. Single and interactive effects of low Levels of O3/SO2 and NO2 on the growth and yield of spring rape. Environmental Pollution 72: 269–286. , ,
- 1993. Ozone/Sulphur dioxide interactions in temperate arable Crops. In: Jackson MB, Black CR, eds. Interacting stresses on plants in a changing Climate, Berlin : Springer Verlag NATO ISI Series Vol 116: 83–110. , ,
- 1982. Effects of low concentration of ozone, singly, and in combination with sulphur dioxide on net photosynthesis rates of Vicia faba L. Journal of Experimental Botany 33: 1302–1311. , ,
- 1992. The impact of ozone and sulphur dioxide on reproductive development in oilseed rape. Ph.D. thesis, University of Nottingham, UK.
- 1993. Impact of O3 and SO2 on reproductive development in oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.). I. pollen germination and pollen tube growth. New Phytologist 124: 439–446. , , , ,
- 1979. Reductions in the photosynthetic rate of Acer, Quercus and Fraxinus species caused by sulphur dioxide and ozone. Environmental Pollution 18: 159–170.
- 1984. Sensitivity of forest plant reproduction to long range transported air pollutants: in vitro and in vivo sensitivity of Oenothera parviflora L. pollen to simulated acid rain. New Phytologist 97: 63–70.
- 1971. Ethylene production from ozone-injured plants. Environmental Pollution 1: 299–304.
- 1986. Oilseed rape physiology. In: Scarisbrick DH, Daniels RW, eds. Oilseed rape. London : Collins, 83–126. , ,
- 1989. The effect of air pollutants on physiological processes in plants. Plant, Cell and Environment 12: 1–30.
- 1983. Direct adverse effects of SO2 on seed set in Geranium carolinianum L.: a consequence of reduced pollen germination on the stigma. Botanical Gazette 144: 376–381. ,
- 1969. Differential susceptibility of pollen grains to ozone injury. Phytopathology 59: 399. ,
- 1968. Forschungsberichte des Landes Nordrhein-Westfalen 1920: 114. ,
- 1981. Photochemical oxidants potentiate yield losses in snap bean attributable to SO2. Science 213: 1008–1010. ,
- 1977. Effects of ambient air pollution on cone, seed and pollen characteristics in eastern white and red pines. Environmental Pollution 12: 1–5. ,
- 1991. Leaf abscission and stem lesions (intumescences) on poplar cones after SO2 and O3 fumigation: a link with ethylene release. Journal of Experimental Botany 42: 1189–1198. , ,
- 1981. Pattern of flower and pod development in rapeseed. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 61: 275–282.
- 1988. The physiology of bud abscission and pod shatter in oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.). Ph.D. thesis, University of Nottingham, UK.
- 1987.Stress ethylene formation determines plant sensitivity to ozone. Nature 327: 417–418. ,
- 1975. The limiting effect of plant size at inflorescence initiation on subsequent growth and yield of oilseed rape (Brassica napus). Journal of Agricultural Science, Cambridge 84: 487–502. ,
- 1986. Effects of SO2 on phloem loading. Plant Science 43: 179–183. ,
- 1980. The comparative effects of sulphur dioxide on photosynthesis and translocation in bean. Physiological Plant Pathology 16: 73–79.
- 1984. Alterations of 13C-assimilate partitioning in plants of Phaseolus vulgaris exposed to ozone. New Phytologist 97: 155–163. , , , ,
- 1992. Effects of high temperature stress on Brassica pollen: viability, germination and ability to set fruit and seeds. Annals of Botany 68: 193–198. , ,
- 1984. Effects of air pollutants on agriculture and forestry. Atmospheric Environment 18: 629–652.
- 1982. Sterility in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) induced by water deficit or high temperature: possible mediation by abscisic acid. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 9: 529–537. ,
- 1984. Oilseed rape its background variation. In: Agronomy, physiology, plant breeding and crop protection of oilseed rape. Aspects of Applied Biology 6: 167–174. , ,
- 1982. Cell biology of abscission. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 33: 133–162. ,
- 1990. Reproductive development in oilseed rape (Brassica napus ev. Bienvenue). Annals of Botany 65: 205–212. ,
- 1983. Compensation in spring-sown oil-seed rape (Brassica napus L.) plants in response to injury to their flower buds and pods. Journal of Agricultural Science, Cambridge 101: 565–573.
- 1986. Air pollution injury to vegetation: A guidance manual commissioned by HM Industrial Air Pollution Inspectorate of the Health and Safety Executive. Institution of Environmental Health Officers, London . , ,
- United Kingdom Photochemical Oxidants Review Group (1987). Ozone in the United Kingdom. United Kingdom Photochemical Oxidants Review Group Interim Report. Harwell Laboratory, Harwell .
- 1990. Yield responses of different drop species to long-term fumigation with sulphur dioxide in open-top chambers. Environmental Pollution 67: 15–28. , ,
- 1991. Physiological disturbances in plants caused by air pollutants. Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 97B: 177–198. ,