Variation in moisture contents between bulk soil and the rhizosheath of wheat (Triticum aestivum L. cv. Wembley)
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 130, Issue 1, pages 135–139, May 1995
How to Cite
YOUNG, I. M. (1995), Variation in moisture contents between bulk soil and the rhizosheath of wheat (Triticum aestivum L. cv. Wembley). New Phytologist, 130: 135–139. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1995.tb01823.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 23 August 1994; accepted 16 January 1995)
- 1986. Resistance of plant roots to water loss. Agronomy Journal 78: 641–644. , .
- 1974. The effect of mechanical forces on the exudation of organic substances by the roots of cereal plants grown under sterile conditions. New Phytologist 73: 39–45. , .
- 1988. The effect of bulk density on root growth. 11th International Conference of the International Soil Tillage Research Organisation, July, Edinburgh, Scotland. Proceedings 1: 25–30. , .
- 1985. Soil physics with Basic. Transport models for soil-plant systems. Developments in soil science 14. Elsevier, Amsterdam . .
- 1956. The mathematics of diffusion. Oxford : Oxford University Press. .
- 1973. The influence of soil water content on the uptake of ions by roots. I. Soil water content gradients near a plane of onion roots. Journal of Applied Ecology 10: 585–598. , .
- 1992. Non-destructive analysis of root growth in porous media. Plant, Cell and Environment 15: 123–128. , , , .
- 1985. The porosity of soil aggregates from bulk soil and from soil adhering to roots. Plant and Soil 87: 311–314. , , .
- 1986. Some water-related physical properties of maize root-cap mucilage. Plant, Cell and Environment 9: 657–666. , .
- 1986. Water extraction by single plant roots. Soil Science Society of America Journal 50: 841–848. , .
- 1972. Influence of age and stage of development on the neutral carbohydrate components in roots exudates from alfalfa plants grown in a gnotobiotic environment. Canadian Journal of Plant Sciences 52: 633–642. , , .
- 1986. Sloughed peripheral root cap cells: yield from different species and callus formation from single cells. American Journal of Botany 73: 1466–1473. , .
- 1983. Phosphorus uptake by six plant species as related to root hairs. Agronomy Journal 75: 457–461. , .
- 1989. Microbial colonization and decomposition in rice rhizosheath. I. Microbial colonization associated with lateral root emergence. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition 35: 63–70. , , .
- 1976. The soils of the country around Perth, Arbroath and Dundee. Memoirs of the Soil Survey of Gt Britain: Scotland. HMSO, Edinburgh . .
- 1993. The new anatomy of roots in relation to their functions. Abstract in Supplement to Plant Physiology 102: p 29. .
- 1979. Soil Physics. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. , .
- 1987. Hydraulic lift: substantial water transport between soil layers by Artemisia tridentata roots. Oceologia 73: 486–489. , .
- 1991. Principles of swelling gels. In: KaralisTK, ed. International Conference on Mechanics of Swelling: from Clays to Living Cells and Tissues. Korfu : NATO advanced Workshop, July 1–6, 140. .
- 1991. Swelling and exocytosis in respiratory globlet cells. In: KaralisTK, ed. International Conference on Mechanics of Swelling: from Clays to Living Cells and Tissues. Korfu : NATO advanced Workshop, July 1–6, 148. .
- 1991. The water status of the roots of soil-grown maize in relation to the maturity of their xylem. Physiologia Plantarum 82: 157–162. , , ,
- 1993. Plant and bacterial mucilages of the maize rhizosheath: comparison of their soil binding properties and histochemistry in a model system. Plant and Soil 151: 151–165. , , .
- 1989). The deformation of soil by penetrometers and root tips of Pisum sativam. Plant and Soil 117: 201–205. .
- 1979. Nitrogen fixation associated with sand grain rootsheath (rhizosheath) of certain xeric grasses. Physiologia Plantarum 46: 1–4. , , .