Enzyme activities in isolated root plasma membranes from a stand of Norway spruce in relation to nutrient status and ammonium sulphate application
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 129, Issue 4, pages 537–546, April 1995
How to Cite
ROSENGREN-BRINCK, U., MAJDI, H., ASP, H. and WIDELL, S. (1995), Enzyme activities in isolated root plasma membranes from a stand of Norway spruce in relation to nutrient status and ammonium sulphate application. New Phytologist, 129: 537–546. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1995.tb03021.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received I September 1994; Accepted 21 December 1994)
- 1989 Nitrogen saturation in northern forest ecosystems. BioScience 39: 378–386. , , , .
- 1985 Indications of stress at unbalanced nutrient contents of spruce and pine. Journal of the Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture and Forestry, supplement 17: 40–51. (In Swedish with an English summary). .
- 1988 Growth and cation uptake in spruce (Picea abies Karst.) grown in sand culture with various aluminium contents. Plant and Soil 111: 127–133. , , .
- 1991 Influence of aluminium on phosphorus and calcium localization in roots of beech (Fagus sylvatica). Physiologic: Plantarum 83: 41–46. , , .
- 1967 Determination of phosphate: study of labile organic phosphate interference. Clinica Chimica Acta 15: 155–158. , , .
- 1978 Quantitation of submicrogram quantities of protein by an improved protein-dye binding assay. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 533: 525–529. .
- 1995 Air pollution, tree vitality and forest production – the Skogaby project. General description of a field experiment with Norway spruce in South Sweden. In: NilssonO-L, HüttIRF, eds. Nutrient uptake and cycling in forest ecosystems. CEC/IUFRO-symposium in Halmstad 7–10 June 1993; IUFRO symposium in Halmstad June 1993. Ecosystem report no. 13, EUR 15465. , , , , , , , .
- 1987 Leaching of metals from forest soils as influenced by tree species and management. Forest Ecology and Management 22: 29–56. .
- 1980 Nutrient deficiencies of conifers in British forests. An illustrated guide. HMSO, Forestry Commission 76. , , .
- 1991 Effect of ammonium and aluminium on the development and nutrition of Pinus nigra in hydroculture. Environmental Pollution 73: 119–136. , , , .
- 1995 Fine-root vitality in a Norway spruce stand subjected to varying nutrient supplies. Plant and Soil 168–169: 167–172. , .
- 1987 Cellulose biosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 38: 259–290. .
- 1987 Long term changes in pH of forest soils in southern Sweden. Environmental Pollution 43: 79–90. .
- FAO-UNESCO. 1988 Soil map of the world. Revised legend. Rome : FAO.
- 1992 Nitrogen cycling in two Norway spruce (Picea abies) ecosystems and effects of a (NH4)2, SO4, addition. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 61: 295–307. .
- 1978 The physiology of metal toxicity. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 29: 511–566. , , .
- 1982 Effect of vanadate, molybdate and azide on membrane-associated ATPase and soluble phosphatase activities of corn roots. Plant Physiology 70: 1335–1340. , .
- 1993 Free amino acids and protein in Scots pine seedlings cultivated at different nutrient availabilities. Tree Physiology 13: 71–86. , .
- 1991 Aluminium decreases root growth and Ca and Mg uptake in Picea abies seedlings. In: WrightRJ, BaligarVC, MurrmannRP, eds. Plant-soil interactions. Dordrecht , The Netherlands : Kluwer Academic Publishers, 747–753. .
- 1991 Use of root elongation studies to determine aluminium and lead toxicity in Picea abies seedlings. Journal of Plant Physiology 138: 231–235. , .
- 1988 Aluminium sulphate solubility in acid forest soils in Denmark. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 39: 247–261. , .
- 1991 Nitrogen deposition and the forest nitrogen cycle: role of denitrification. Forest Ecology and Management 44: 15–28. .
- 1992 Long term changes of base cation pool in soil and biomass in a beech and a spruce forest of southern Sweden. Zeitschrift für Pflanzenerährung und Bodenkunde 155: 51–60. .
- 1992 Aluminum effects on calcium fluxes at the root apex of aluminum-tolerant and aluminum-sensitive wheat cultivars. Plant Physiology 98: 230–237. , , , .
- 1986 Responses of five species of conifer seedlings to aluminium stress. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 31: 283–394. , , .
- 1988 Diagnostische Düngungsversuche zur revitalizerung geschädigter Fichtenbestände (Picea abies Karst.)in Südwestdeutschland. Forstwissenschaftliches Centralblatt 107: 173–183. , .
- 1988 Elemental patterns in roots and foliage of mature spruce across a gradient of soil aluminium. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 40: 375–390. , , .
- 1987 Solubilization, affinity chromatography and Ca2+/polyamine activation of the plasma membrane-located 1,3, β-glucan synthase. Plant Science 48: 63–69. , .
- 1990 Effects of aluminum on growth and nutrient status of Douglas-fir seedlings grown in culture solution. Tree Physiology 6: 165–175. .
- 1987 Cation amelioration of aluminium toxicity in wheat. Plant Physiology 83: 546–551. , .
- 1994 Isolation of highly purified plant plasma membranes and separation of inside-out and right-side-out vesicles. Methods of Enzymology 228:451–469. , , .
- 1993 Spatial distribution of fine roots, rhizosphere and bulk-soil chemistry in an acidified Picea abies stand. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research 8: 147–155. , .
- 1994 Effects of ammonium sulphate application on the rhizosphere, fine-root and needle chemistry in a Picea abies (L.) Karst. stand. Plant and Soil 62: 71–80. , .
- 1986 Mineral nutrition of higher plants. London : Academic Press. .
- 1956 Nitrogen-magnesium relationships in crop plants. Plant and Soil 7: 341–376. .
- 1971 Pedological influence of spruce planted on beech forest soils in Scania, South Sweden. Oikos 22: 302–314. .
- 1990 The vitality of forest trees in Sweden – stress symptoms and causal relations. In: LiljelundL-E, ed. Vitality fertilization - present knowledge and research needs. Swedish Environmental Protection Agency report 3813, 45–70 (In Swedish with an English Summary). .
- 1992 Influence of nutrient and water stress on Norway spruce production in south Sweden – the role of air pollutants. Plant and Soil 147: 251–265. , .
- 1990 Methods of studying root dynamics in relation to nutrient cycling. In: HarrisonFA, InesonP, HallOW, eds. Nutrient cycling in terrestrial ecosystems. London : Elsevier Applied Science, 198–217. .
- 1992 Dynamics of aqueous aluminium species in a podzol affected by experimental MgSO4 and (NH4)2, SO4 treatments. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 65: 153–173. , .
- 1986 Increased arginine biosynthesis during phosphorus deficiency. Plant Physiology 81: 774–779. , .
- 1994 The influence of nitrogen on the nutrient status of Norway spruce (Picea abies L. Karst). Doctoral thesis, Lund University, Sweden . .
- 1985 Standing crop, production and turnover of fine roots on dry moderate and wet sites of mature Douglas-fir in western Oregon. Annales des Sciences Forestrières 42: 113–142. , .
- 1989 Response of tree seedlings to aluminium. Tree Physiology 5: 337–356. , , , .
- 1990 Aluminium ions induce oat protoplasts to produce an extracellular (l-3)β-D-glucan. Plant Physiology 94: 13–19. , .
- 1987 Effect of soil acidity on Douglas fir seedlings. I. Rooting characteristics of natural regeneration of Douglas fir in strongly acid forest soils. The Netherlands Journal of Agricultural Science 35: 533–536. , , .
- 1987 Effect of soil acidity on Douglas fir seedlings. II. The role of pH, aluminium concentration and nitrogen nutrition (pot experiment). The Netherlands Journal of Agricultural Science 35: 537–540. , , .
- 1954 The dualistic and versatile reaction properties of perchloric acid. The Analyst 80: 16–19. .
- 1981 Biometry, 2nd ed. New York : W H Freeman & Co. , .
- 1991 Current views of the aluminium stress response: the physiological basis of tolerance. Current Topics in Plant Biochemistry and Physiology 10: 57–93. .
- 1989 Effects of aluminium on growth of root tips on honeylocust and loblolly pine. Environmental and Experimental Botany 29: 165–173. , , .
- 1980 Chemical changes due to acid precipitation in a loess derived soil in central Europe. Soil Science 130: 193–199. , , .
- UN/ECE, CEC. 1992 Forest condition in Europe. Convention on long-range transboundary air pollution. Brussels , Geneva : CEE-UN/ECE.
- 1988 Effects of excessive ammonium deposition on the nutritional status and condition of pine needles. Physiologia Plantarum 73: 494–501. , .
- 1991 Root methods. In: LassoieJP, HincleyTM, eds. Techniques and approaches in forest tree ecophysiology. Boca Raton , FL : CRC Press, 477–501. , .
- 1981 Separation of presumptive plasma membranes from mitochondria by partition in an aqueous polymer two-phase system. Physiologia Plantarum 51: 368–374. , .
- 1994 Activities of plasma membrane-bound enzymes isolated from roots of spruce (Picea abies) grown in the presence of aluminium. Physiologia Plantarum 92: 459–466. , , .
- 1994 Characterization of 1,3-β D-glucan (callose) synthesis in roots of Triticum aestivum in response to aluminum toxicity. Journal of Plant Physiology 144: 229–234. , , .