Response of red alder seedlings to CO enrichment and water stress
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 129, Issue 4, pages 569–577, April 1995
How to Cite
HIBBS, D. E., CHAN, S. S., CASTELLANO, M. and NIU, C.-H. (1995), Response of red alder seedlings to CO enrichment and water stress. New Phytologist, 129: 569–577. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1995.tb03024.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 4 August 1994; accepted 16 December 1994)
- 1993 Genetic variation in red alder (Alnus rubra) in relation to native climate and geography. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 23: 1930–1939. , , .
- 1990 Effect of nodulation, nitrogen fixation and CO2 enrichment on the physiology, growth and dry mass allocation of seedlings of Alnus rubra Bong. New Phytologist 116: 55–56. , .
- 1990 Growth responses of seven major co-occurring tree species of the northeastern United States to elevated CO2. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 20: 1479–1484. , , .
- 1986 The greenhouse effect, climate change and ecosystems. Scientific Committee on Problems of the Environment 29. New York : John Wiley. , , , .
- 1989 Influence of short-term atmospheric CO2 enrichment on growth, allocation patterns, and biochemistry of black spruce seedlings at different stages of development. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 19: 773–782. , .
- 1980 The effects of elevated CO2 concentrations on growth, photosynthesis, transpiration, and water use efficiency of plants. In: SinghJJ, DeepakA, eds. Environmental and climatic impact of coal utilization. New York : Academic Press, 609–623. , .
- 1992 Effects of CO2 and temperature on growth and resource use of co-occurring C3 and C4 annuals. Ecology 73: 1244–1259. , .
- 1988 The influence of CO2 enrichment, phosphorus deficiency and water stress on the growth, conductance and water use of Pinus radiata D. Don. Plant, Cell and Environment 11: 91–98. , , , , .
- 1989 The direct effects of increase in the global atmospheric CO2 concentration on natural and commercial temperature trees and forests. Advances in Ecological Research 19: 1–55. , .
- 1991 Photosynthesis: principles and field techniques. In: PearcyRW, EhleringerJ, MooneyHA, RundelPW, eds. Plant physiological ecology: field methods and instrumentation. London : Chapman and Hall, 209–248. , , .
- 1968 The acetylene-ethylene assay for N2 fixation: laboratory and field evaluation. Plant Physiology 43: 1186–1207. , , , .
- 1990 Alnus rubra Bong. Red alder. In: BurnsRM, HonkalaBH, Coords Silvics of North America, vol. 2, Hardwoods. Washington , DC : USDA Forest Service, 116–123. .
- 1994 Biology of red alder (Alnus rubra Bong.). In: HibbsDE, DeBellDS, TarrantRF, eds. Biology and management of red alder. Corvallis , OR : OSU Press, 3–22. , , .
- 1985 Variation in response among three Alnus spp. clones to progressive water stress. Plant and Soil 87: 135–141. , , .
- 1988 Stomatal conductance and growth of five Alnus glutinosa clones in response to controlled water stress. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 18: 421–426. , , .
- 1994 Performance of red alder seed sources in France. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 24: 1008–1014. , , .
- 1990 Actinorhizal plants in Pacific Northwest forests. In: SchwintzerC, TjepkemaJ, eds. The biology of Frankia and actinorhizal plants. New York : Academic Press, 343–363. ,
- 1989 Differential growth response to atmospheric carbon dioxide enrichment in seedlings of Cedrus atlantica and Pittus nigra ssp. Laricio var. Corsicana. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 19: 1351–1358. , , .
- 1991 The physiological ecology of woody plants. San Diego , CA : Academic Press. , , .
- 1981 Carbon dioxide concentration, photosynthesis, and dry matter production. BioScience 31: 29–35. .
- 1987 Effects of increasing carbon dioxide concentration on the physiology and growth of forest trees. In: ShandsWE, HoffmanJS, eds. The greenhouse effect, climate change and US forests. Washington , DC : Conservation Foundation, 219–246. , .
- 1987 Effects of carbon dioxide-induced climate changes on the natural ranges of six major commercial tree species in the Western United States. In: ShandsWE, HoffmanJS, eds. The greenhouse effect, climate change and US forests. Washington . DC : Conservation Foundation, 123–155. , .
- 1991 Predicting ecosystem response to elevated CO2 concentrations. Bioscience 41: 96–104. , , , , .
- 1985 Sensitivity of stomata and water use efficiency to high CO2. Plant, Cell and Environment 8: 467–474. .
- National Academy of Sciences. 1988 Toward an understanding of global change. Washington , DC : National Academy of Sciences Press.
- 1987 Nodulation and nitrogenase activity in nitrogen-fixing woody plants stimulated by CO2 enrichment of the atmosphere. Physiologia Plantarum 71: 77–82. .
- 1976 The effect of CO2 enrichment on root nodule development and symbiotic N2 fixation in Pisum sativum L. American Journal of Botany 63: 356–362. , , , .
- 1992 Responses of plant roots to elevated atmospheric carbondioxide. Plant, Cell and Environment 15: 749–752. , , , .
- SAS Institute Inc. 1987 SAS statistical guide for personal Computers, version 6. Gary , NC : SAS Institute, Inc.
- 1965 Sap pressure in vascular plants. Science 148: 339–346. , , , .
- 1985 Techniques for measuring plant water. Horticultural Science 206: 1021–1027. .
- StrainBR, CureJD (eds.). 1985 Direct effects of increasing carbon dioxide on vegetation. United States Department of Energy, Carbon Dioxide Research Division, DOE/ER-0238. Washington , D.C. : Office of Energy Research.
- 1970 Use of automated combustion techniques for total carbon, total nitrogen and total sulphur analysis of soils. Soil Science Society of America Proceedings 34: 417–420. , .
- 1985 Effects of CO2 enrichment and water stress on gas exchange of Liquidambar styraciflua and Pinus taeda seedlings grown under different irradiance levels. Oecologia 65: 166–172. , .
- 1993 Responses of loblolly pine seedlings to elevated CO2 and fluctuating water supply. Tree Physiology 13: 283–296. , , .