Atmospheric CO2, soil nitrogen and turnover of fine roots
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 129, Issue 4, pages 579–585, April 1995
How to Cite
PREGITZER, K. S., ZAK, D. R., CURTIS, P. S., KUBISKE, M. E., TEERI, J. A. and VOGEL, C. S. (1995), Atmospheric CO2, soil nitrogen and turnover of fine roots. New Phytologist, 129: 579–585. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1995.tb03025.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 23 August 1994; accepted 4 January 1995)
- 1990 The response of natural ecosystems to the rising global CO2 levels. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematic 21: 167–196. .
- 1992 Seasonal responses of leaf gas exchange to elevated carbon dioxide in Populus grandidentata. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 22: 1320–1325. , .
- 1989 Elongation and branching of roots on soybean plants in a carbon dioxide-enriched aerial environment. Agronomy Journal 81: 692–695. , , , .
- 1989 Photosynthesis and nitrogen relationships in leaves of Co2, plants. Oecologia 78: 9–19. .
- 1986 The photosynthesis-nitrogen relationship in wild plants. In: Givnish, TJ, ed. On the economy of plant form and function. Cambridge : Cambridge Univ. Press, 25–55. , .
- 1992 The demography of fine roots in a northern hardwood forest. Ecology 73: 1094–1104. , .
- 1993a Patterns of fine root mortality in two sugar maple forests. Nature 361: 59–61. , .
- 1993b The dynamics of fine root length, biomass, and nitrogen content in two northern hardwood ecosystems. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 23: 2507–2520. , .
- 1987 Analysis of error in methods used to determine fine root production in forest ecosystems: a simulation approach. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 16: 909–912. , .
- 1991 Repeated measures experiments in forestry: focus on analysis of response curves. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 21: 957–965. , .
- 1992 Productivity and compensatory responses of yellow-poplar trees in elevated CO2. Nature 357:322–332. , , , , .
- 1988 Response of northern forests to CO2-induced climate change. Nature 334: 55–58. , .
- 1993 The demography of fine roots in response to patches of water and nitrogen. New Phytologist 125 575–580. , , .
- 1986 Statistical analysis of survival and removal rate experiments. Ecology 67: 240–245. , .
- 1959 A simple method for constructing orthogonal polynomials when the independent variable is unequally spaced. Biometrics 15: 187–191. .
- 1994 Plants' responses to atmospheric CO2 enrichment with emphasis on roots and the Rhizosphere. Environmental Pollution 83: 155–189. , , .
- 1990 Biogeochemical feedbacks in the Earth system. In: LeggertJ, ed. Global Warming: The Greenpeace Report. Oxford : Oxford University Press, 68–82. .
- 1993 Root growth and functioning under atmospheric Co2 enrichment. Vegetation 104/105: 99–115. ,
- 1993 Implications of increasing carbon dioxide levels for carbon input and turnover in soils. Vegetatio 104/105: 283–292. , .
- 1991 Can planted forests counteract increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide. journal of Environmental Quality 20: 348–354. .
- 1986 Production, turnover, and CO2, soil N and roots nutritional dynamics of above- and below-ground detritus of world forest. Advances in Ecological Research 15: 303–307. , , .
- 1995 Accuracy of visible and ultraviolet light for estimating live root proportions with minirhizotrons. Ecology (in the press). , , , , .
- 1990 Spatial and tempotal variability of nitrogen cycling in northern Lower Michigan. Forest Science 36: 367–380. .
- 1993 Elevated atmospheric Co2 and feedback between carbon and nitrogen cycles. Plant and soil 151 105–117. , , , , , .