Phosphorus and carbon budgets: mycorrhizal contribution in Hyacinthoides non-scripta (L.) Chouard ex Rothm. under natural conditions
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 129, Issue 4, pages 619–627, April 1995
How to Cite
MERRYWEATHER, J. and FITTER, A. (1995), Phosphorus and carbon budgets: mycorrhizal contribution in Hyacinthoides non-scripta (L.) Chouard ex Rothm. under natural conditions. New Phytologist, 129: 619–627. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1995.tb03030.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 18 August 1994; accepted 13 December 1994)
- 1974 Chemical analysis of ecological materials. Oxford : Blackwell. .
- 1981 Studies on mycorrhizas of the Liliiflorae. Ph.D. thesis, University of Dundee, UK . .
- 1980 Mycorrhizas in the Liliiflorae. I. Morphogenesis of Endymion non-scriptus (L.) Garcke and its mycorrhizas in nature. New Phytologist 85: 181–189. , , .
- 1987 Infectivity of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal inocula after storage under various environmental conditions. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 88: 21–27. , , .
- 1991 Costs and benefits of mycorrhizas: implications for functioning under natural conditions. Experientia 47: 350–355. .
- 1994 Interactions between mycorrhizal fungi and other soil organisms. Plant and Soil 159: 123–132. , .
- 1992 Why are some plants more mycorrhizal than others? An ecological survey. In: ReadDJ, LewisDM, FitterAH, AlexanderIJ, eds. Mycorrhizas in ecosystems. Wallingford , Oxon : C.A.B.I. , .
- 1988 The use of benomyl to control infection by vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 110: 201–206. , .
- 1991 Interactions of mycorrhizas with soil animals. In: AllenMF, (ed.) Mycorrhizal functioning. New York : Chapman & Hall, 333–354. , .
- 1905 Études sur les mycorhaizes endotrophes. Revue général de botanique 17: 5–48. .
- 1992 Population structure of the bluebell, Hyacinthoides non-scripta. B.Sc. thesis. .
- 1978 Plant growth analysis. London : Arnold. .
- 1982 Plant growth curves, a functional approach to plant growth analysis. London : Arnold. .
- 1986 Vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza in field-grown crops. III. Mycorrhizal infection and rates of phosphorus inflow in pea plants. New Phytologist 104: 573–581. .
- 1982 Quantification of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizae in plant roots. In: SchenckNC, ed. Methods and principles of mycorrhizal research. St Paul , Minnesota : American Phytopathological Society. , .
- 1971 Measurement of length in random arrangements of lines. Journal of Applied Ecology 8: 265–267. .
- 1988 A numerical analysis of published field trials with vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Functional Ecology 2: 473–478. .
- 1988a Growth and phosphorus inflows of Trifolium repens L. with a range of indigenous vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal infection levels under field conditions. New Phytologist 108: 59–65. , .
- 1988b Ecological consequences of arthropod grazing on VA mycorrhizal fungi. Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 94B: 25–32. , .
- 1990 A new method which gives an objective measure of colonization of roots by vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 115: 495–501. , , , , .
- 1995 Arbuscular mycorrhiza and phosphorus as controlling factors in the life history of the obligately mycorrhizal Hyacinthoides non-scripta. New Phytologist 129: 629–636. , .
- 1981 Mechanisms of competition for mineral nutrients of four herbaceous woodland species. Ph.D. thesis, University of Lancaster, UK . .
- 1993 Mycorrhizal infection, phosphorus uptake and phenology in Ranunculus adoneus: implications for the functioning of mycorrhizae in alpine systems. Oecologia 94: 229–234. , .
- 1994 Root pathogenic and arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi determine fitness in asymptomatic plants in the field. Journal of Ecology 82: 805–814. , , .
- 1976 Vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza in natural vegetation systems. New Phytologist 77: 641–653. , , .
- 1992a The ecology and functioning of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizas in co-existing grassland species. I. Seasonal patterns of mycorrhizal occurrence and morphology. New Phytologist 120: 519–524. , .
- 1992b The ecology and functioning of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizas in co-existing grassland species. II. Nutrient uptake and growth of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal plants in a semi-natural grassland. New Phytologist 120: 525–533. , .
- 1993 Response of Vulpia ciltata ssp. ambigua to the removal of mycorrhizal infection and to phosphate application under natural conditions. Journal of Ecology 81: 351–358. , , .
- 1948 The effects of phosphorus supply on the rates of intake of phosphorus and nitrogen and upon certain aspects of phosphorus metabolism in gramineous plants. Australian Journal of Scientific Research, Series B1: 333–361. .
- 1904a Notes on the bluebell. The Naturalist, 565: 41–48. .
- 1904b Notes on the bluebell. The Naturalist 566: 81–88. .