Arbuscular mycorrhizas and water relations in maize under drought stress at tasselling
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 129, Issue 4, pages 643–650, April 1995
How to Cite
SUBRAMANIAN, K. S., CHAREST, C., DWYER, L. M. and HAMILTON, R. I. (1995), Arbuscular mycorrhizas and water relations in maize under drought stress at tasselling. New Phytologist, 129: 643–650. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1995.tb03033.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 12 July 1994; accepted 22 December 1994)
- 1982 Influence of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizae on water movement through Bouteloua gracilis. New Phytologist 91: 191–196. .
- 1991 Mycorrhizal fungi and nonhydraulic root signals of soil drying. Plant Physiology 97: 821–824. , .
- 1994 Nonhydraulic signalling in soil drying in mycorrhizal maize plants. Plants 193: 74–82. , , , .
- 1987a Rose leaf elasticity changes in response to mycorrhizal colonization and drought acclimation. Physiologia Plantarum 70: 175–182. , , .
- 1987b Leaf water and carbohydrate status of VA mycorrhizal rose exposed to drought stress. Plant and Soil 99: 291–302. , , .
- 1993 Water deficit affects receptivity of maize silks. Crop Science 33: 279–286. , .
- 1976 Crop water deficit. Advances in Agronomy 28: 161–172. , .
- 1988 Effects of drought on host and endophyte development in mycorrhizal soybeans in relation to water use and phosphate uptake. Physiologia Plantarum 72: 565–571. , , , .
- 1993 Eight cycles of selection for drought tolerance in lowland tropical maize. III. Responses in drought adaptive physiological and morphological traits. Field Crops Research 31: 269–286. , , .
- 1993 The effect of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizae and chilling on two maize hybrids of maize. Mycorrhiza 4: 89–92. , , .
- 1993 Ammonia assimilation in maize infected with an AM fungus Glomus fasciculatum. Plant Physiology 101: 865–871. , .
- 1984 Physiology of VA mycorrhizal associations. In: PowellCC, BagyarajDJ, eds. VA Mycorrhiza. Boca Raton , Fla : CRC Press, 155–186. .
- 1992 Mycorrhizae and repeated drought exposure affect drought resistance and extraradical hyphae development on pepper plants independent of plant size and nutrient content. Journal of Plant Physiology 139: 289–294. , , .
- 1985 Water stress conditioning of corn in the field and the greenhouse. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 63: 704–710. , .
- 1986 Leaf area development in field grown maize. Agronomy Journal 78: 334–346. , .
- 1994 Nonhydraulic root-to-shoot signalling in mycorrhizal and non-mycorrhizal sorghum exposed to partial soil drying or root severing. New Phytologist 127: 495–506. , , , .
- 1993 Causes for silk delay in a lowland tropical maize population. Crop Science 33: 1029–1035. , , , .
- 1985 Functioning of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizas under field conditions. New Phytologist 99: 257–265. .
- 1993 Acquisition of nitrogen by external hyphae by arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi associated with Zea mays L. New Phytologist 124: 221–230. , .
- 1992 Water and nutrient translocation of hyphae of Glomus mosseae. Canadian Journal of Botany 70: 2130–2137. , , , , .
- 1987 Water relations of mycorrhizal and phosphorus-fertilized non-mycorrhizal citrus under drought stress. New Phytologist 105: 411–419. , , .
- 1981 The influence of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizae on growth and water relations of red clover. I. In phosphate-deficient soil. New Phytologist 89: 599–608. , .
- 1993 Carbohydrates and water stress in wheat plants under water stress. New Phytologist 125: 609–614. , .
- 1990 Effects of VA-mycorrhizal fungi and rhizosphere microorganisms on root and shoot morphology, growth and water relations in maize. New Phytologist 116: 303–311. , , .
- 1991 Contribution of VA mycorrhizal hyphae in acquisition of phosphorus and zinc by maize grown in a calcareous soil. Plant and Soil 131: 177–185. , , .
- 1983 Effect of drought and VAM on citrus transpiration and hydraulic conductivity of roots. New Phytologist 93: 61–66. , , .
- 1987 Differences in drought resistance between two corn hybrids. I. Water relations and root length density. Agronomy Journal 79: 802–807. , , .
- 1990 A critical evaluation of traits for improving crop yields in water limited environments. Advances in Agronomy 43: 107–153. , .
- 1993 Influence of VAM and phosphorus nutrition on growth, development, and mineral nutrition of potato. Plant Physiology 102: 771–782. , .
- 1974 Changes in the stomatal characteristics of grain sorghum produced by water stress during growth. Crop Science 14: 273–278. .
- 1982 Complete turgor maintenance at low water potentials in the elongation of maize leaves. Plant Physiology 69: 714–718. , .
- 1987 The ecology of VAM in grass- and shrublands. In: SafirGR, ed. Ecophysiology of VA mycorrhizal plants. Boca Raton , Fla : CRC Press, 135–170. .
- 1982 Increased drought tolerance of mycorrhizal onion plants caused by improved phosphorus nutrition. Planta 154: 407–413. , .
- 1993 Effect of VAM and Azospirillum on growth and yield of wheat. Indian Journal of Plant Physiology 34: 357–361. .
- 1993 Feedforward responses of plants to physically inhospitable soil. International Crop Science I. Crop Science Society of America. Madison, Wisconsin, 715–719. , .
- 1989 Nonhydraulic signals from maize roots in drying soil: inhibition of leaf elongation but not stomatal conductance. Planta 179: 466–474. , .
- 1964 Hydraulic pressure and osmotic potential in leaves of mangroves and some other plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 52: 119–125. , , , .
- 1992 VAM in relation to plant diseases. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 8: 559–563. , , .
- 1986 Tissue water relations and leaf growth of tropical corn cultivars under water deficit. Plant, Cell, and Environment 9: 451–457. .
- 1995 Influence of arbuscular- mycorrhizae on the metabolism of maize under drought stress. Mycorrhiza (In the press). , .
- 1993 Field response of maize to a VAM fungus and water management. Agronomy Journal 85: 193–198. , , , , .
- 1980 Influence of water stress on the photosynthesis and productivity of plants in humid stress. In: TurnerNC, Kramer, PJ, eds. Adaptation of plants for water and high temperature stress. New York : Wiley, 309–322. , , .
- 1994a Improved nitrogen uptake and transport from 15N-liibelled nitrate by external Turner NC. 1974. Stomatal behaviour and water stress of maize, hyphae of arbuscular mycorrhizae under water-stressed conditions. New Phytologist 126: 119–122. , , .
- 1994a The improvement of plant N acquisition from an ammonium-treated, drought- stressed soil by the fungal symbiont in arbuscular mycorrhizae. Mycorrhiza 4: 105–108. , , .
- 1974 Stomatal behaviour and water stress of maize, sorghum, and tobacco under field conditions. II. At low soil water potential. Plant Physiology 43: 360–365. .
- 1988 Interactive nitrogen and water effects on senescence of maize. I. Leaf area duration, N distribution, and yield. Agronomy Journal 80: 859–864. , , , .