Effects of CO2 enrichment, leaf position and clone on stomatal index and epidermal cell density in poplar (Populus)
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 131, Issue 1, pages 99–107, September 1995
How to Cite
CEULEMANS, R., VAN PRAET, L. and JIANG, X. N. (1995), Effects of CO2 enrichment, leaf position and clone on stomatal index and epidermal cell density in poplar (Populus). New Phytologist, 131: 99–107. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1995.tb03059.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 22 December 1994; accepted 5 June 1995)
- 1989 Influent. of CO2 on stomatal numbers. Biologia Plantarum 31: 72–74.
- 1993a Stomatal density responses of Egyptian Olea europae L, leaves in CO2, change since 1327 BC. Annals of Botany 71: 431–435. , .
- 1993b The impact of atmospheric CO2and temperature change in stomatal density observations from Quercus robu lammas leaves. Annals of Botany 71: 231–235. , .
- 1991 Tracking stomatal densities through a glacial cycle: their significance for predicting the response of plants to changing atmospheric CO2 concentrations. Global Ecology and Bigeography Letters 1: 136–142. , , , , .
- 1990 Genetic variation in functional and structured productivity determinants in poplur. Thesis Publishers, Amsterdam , The Netherlands .
- 1994 Effects of elevated atmospheric CO2, on woody plants. New Phytologist 127: 425–446. ,
- 1988 Stomatal conductance and stomatal behaviour in Populus clones and hybrids. Canadian Journal of Botany 66: 1404–1414. , ,
- 1994 Physiology, growth and development of young poplar plants under elevated atmospheric CO2 levels. In: VeroustraeteF. CeulemansK, ImpensI. VanRensbergenJ. eds. Veroustraete F, Modelling and Climate Change Effects, The Hague : SPB Academic Publishers, 81–98. , , .
- 1995 Growth and physiology of one-year old poplar (popular) under elevated atmospheric CO2 levels. Annals of Botany 75: 609–617. , , .
- 1979 Some ecophysiological features in leaves of plants in an oak-hornbeam forest. Folia Geobotanicae & Phytotaxiaequest; (Praha) 14: 29–42.
- 1994 Stomatal characteristics of four native herbs follwing exposure to elevated CO2. Annals of Botany 73: 447–453. ,
- 1989 Short term effect of CO2 enrichment on leaf development und gas exchange of young poplars (Populus × euramericana cv.1-214). Oecalogia Plantarum 10: 95–105. ,
- 1994 Photosynthetic- acclimation in trees to rising atmospheric CO2 a broader perspective. Photosynthesis Research 39: 369–388. , .
- 1987 Effects of atmospheric CO2 enrichment on plant growth; the interactive role of air temperature. Agricultural Ecosystems 3 Environment 20: 1–10. , , , .
- 1988 Does global increase of CO2, alter stomatal density Flora, 181: 253–257.
- 1991 Leaf shape, stomata density and photo-synthetic rate of the common oak leaves. Biologia Plantarum 33: 495–500.
- 1985 Photosynthetic response and adaptation of Fagus sylvatic L. trees to light conditions. 2. Leaf chlorophyll contents, leaf dry matter, specific leaf area and mass, stomatal density. Biologia (Bratislava) 40: 473–481. ,
- 1961 Développement des stomates depeupliers au cours d'one année seche. Physiologia Plantarum 14: 877–889.
- 1985 Effect of CO2 enrichment on seedling physiology and growth of two tropical species. Physiologia Plantarum 65: 352–356. , &
- 1979 Frequency and length of stomata of 21 Populu clones. Canadian journal of Botany 57: 2519–2523. , .
- 1993 Stomatal density variation in beech and holm oak leaves collected over the last 200 years. Acta Oecaltigia 14; 173–178. ,
- 1993 Effects of CO2 enrichment and simulated acid mist on stomatal density and area, pore area, arid stomatal conductance. In: Proceedings of an International Workshop on Ecophsiology and Genetics of Trees and Forests in a Changing Environment. Viterbo ( Italy ): Universita Delia Tuscia, 55. , ,
- 1990 Changes in N and S leaf content, stomatal density and specific leaf area of 14 plant species during the last three centuries of CO. increase. Journal of Experimental Botany 41: 1119–1124. ,
- 1990a Effects of CO2 enrichment on four poplar clones. I. Growth and leaf anatomy. Annals of Botany 65: 617–626. , .
- 1990b Effects of CQ2enrichment on Four poplar clones. II. Leaf surface properties. Annals of Botany 65: 627–632. , .
- 1993 Variable development and cellular patterning in the epidermis of Ruscus hypoglossum. Annals Botany 71: 237–243. , , .
- 1927 On the causes and ecological significance of stomatal frequency, with special reference to woodland flora. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society London B 216: 1–65. .
- 1988 Stomatal frequencies in the adaxial and abaxial epidermes of primary bean leaves affected by growing irradianeea. Acta Universitatis Carolinae – Biologica 31: 101–105. ,
- 1983 Leaf anatomy of four species grown under continuous CO2 enrichment. Botanical Gazette 144: 303–309. , .
- 1982 Photosynthetic characteristics during ontogenesis of leaves. 7, Stomata density and sizes. Photosynthetica 16: 375–471.
- 1987 Stomatal numbers are sensitive to increases in CO2 from pre-industrial levels. Nature 327: 617–618. .
- 1988 The responses of stomatal density to CO2 partial pressure. Journal of Experimental Botany 39: 1717–1721. , .