Estimates of fungal biomass in Scots pine stands on an urban pollution gradient
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 131, Issue 1, pages 139–147, September 1995
How to Cite
MARKKOLA, A. M., OHTONEN, R., TARVAINEN, O. and AHONEN-JONNARTH, U. (1995), Estimates of fungal biomass in Scots pine stands on an urban pollution gradient. New Phytologist, 131: 139–147. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1995.tb03063.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 14 January 1995; accepted 21 May 1995)
- 1990 Gibt es eine Korrelation zwischen Anzahl der Ektomykorrhizen und Häufigrit ihrer Fruchtkürper. Zeitschrift für Mykologie 56: 155–158.
- 1983 Effects of N fertilization on populations of fine roots and mycorrhizas in spruce humus. Plant and Soil 106: 179–190. , .
- 1988 The changing macromycologgiocal flora in the Netherlands. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 90: 391–406.
- 1984 fungal populations in podzolic soil experimentally acidified to simulate acid rain. Microbial Ecology 10: 197–203. , ,
- 1995 The effects of experimental nitrogen addition on the ectomycorrhizal fungus flora in an oligotrophic: spruce forest at Gärdsjön. Sweden. Forest Ecology and Management 71: 111–122. .
- 1992 The growth of the extraroatrical mycelium of ectomycorrhizal fungi and the growth response of Pinus sylvestri L. New PhytOlogist 120: 127–135. , ,
- 1994 Size, distribution of biomass of genets in populations of Suiilus bovinu (L.: Fr.(Roussel revealed by somatic incompability. New Phytologist 128: 25–234. ,
- 1991 Atmospheric pollutants and ecto-mycorrhizas, more questions than answers. Environmental Pollution 73: 179–204. ,
- 1987 Effects of artificial acid precipitation on the mycorrhizas of Scots pine seedling. New phytologist 107: 191–202. , .
- 1992 Mycorrhiza and carbon flow to the soil. In AllenMJ, ed. Mycorrhizal Functioning. New York : Chapman & Hall, 134–160. ,
- 1979 Fungal and arboreal biomass in a western Oregon Douglas-fir ecosystem: distribution patterns and turnover. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 9: 245–256. ,
- 1987 The influence of urban air pollution on soil respiration and fungal hyphal length. Annales BotaniciFennici 24: 251–256.
- 1991 Effects of ozone and ammonium sulphate on carbon partitioning to mycorrhizal roots of juvenile Douglas fir. New Phytologist 119: 243–250. , , .
- 1983 Mycorrhizal symbiosis. London : Academic Press. , .
- 1993 Effects of different nitrogen sources on the growth of Scots pine seedlings and the ultrastructure and development of their mycorrhizae. Canadian journal of Forest Research 23: 362–372. ,
- 1990 Comparison of ergosteol and chinn as quantitative estimates of mycorrhizal infection and Pinus contorta seedling response to inoculation. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 20: 1125–1131. , .
- 1990 The vitality of conifers in Finland 1986–88. In: KauppiP, AnttilaP, KenttamiesK, eds. Acidification in Finland. Berlin : Springer Verlag, 523–560. , ,
- 1992 Carbohydrate sources and sinks in woody plants. The Botanical Review 58: 107–222. .
- 1970 Paxillus involut as a mycorrhizal symbiont on forest trees. Acta Forestalia Fennica 106: 1–73.
- 1979 Factors responsible for the distribution of mycorrhizal fungi of Pinu in eastern Australia. Australian Forest Research 9: 25–34. .
- 1982 Changes in carbon uptake and allocation patterns as a result of irrigation and fertilization in a young Pinus sylverstri stand. In: WaringRH., ed. Carbon Uptake and Allocation in Subalpine Ecosystems as a Key to Management. Forest Research Laboratory, Oregon State University 38–44. ,
- 1990 Fungal biomass in the mycorrhizze in relation to spurophore yield in a fertilized and an unfertilized (Pinus taeda) stand. Symbiosis 9: 3–96. , &
- 1978 Effect of fertilization on production of epigeous basidiocarps by mycorrhizal fungi in loblally pine plantations. Canadian Journal of Botany 56: 2357–2362. , .
- 1986 Soil microbial activity, mycelial lengths and physiological groups of bacteria in a heavy metal polluted area. Environmental Pollution 41: 81–100. , , ,
- 1989 Effects of ectomycorrhiza on host growth and carbon balance in a semi-hydroponic cultivation system. New Phytologist 112: 389–398. ,
- 1992 Ergosterol analysis as a means of quantifying mycorrhizal biomass. Methods in Microbiology 24: 77–88. ,
- 1978 Mushrooms and mushroom yields in fertilized forests. Annales Botanici Fennici 15: 38–46.
- 1988 Effect of forest management procedures on fungal fruit body production in Finland. Acta Botanica Fennica136: 81–84.
- 1994 Accurmulation of organic matter along a pollution gradient – application of Odurms theory on ecosystem energetics. Microbial Ecology 27: 43–55.
- 1991 Biological activity and amount of FDA mycelium in mor humus of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestri L.) stands in relation to soil properties and degree of pollution. Biogeochemistry 13: 1–26. , .
- 1990 Soil biological parameters as indicators of changes in Scots pine forests (Punts sylveslri L.) caused by air pollution. In: KauppiP, AnttilaP, KenttamiesK, eds. Acidification in Finland. Berlin : Springer Verlag, 373–393. , , ,
- 1989 Total sulfur content in the humus layer of urban polluted forest soils. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 44: 135–141. , ,
- Oulu City Council. 1989 The municipality of Oulu publication. (in Finnish).
- 1983 Nitrogen nutrition, photosynthesis and carbon allocation ectomycorrhizal pine. Plant and Soil 71: 415–432. , , .
- 1992 Maintenance respiration and stand development in a subalpine lodgepole pine forest. Ecology 73: 2100–2108. , .
- 1994 Mycorrhizae alter quality and quantity of carbon allocated below ground. Nature 369: 58–60. , .
- 1993 Interpretation of regional differences in the fungal biota as effects of atmospheric pollution. Mycological Research 97: 1451–1458. , .
- 1992 The effects of sulphur dioxide and oxone on the mycorrhizas of Scots pine and Norway spruce in a field fumigation system. Mycnlogical Research 96: 785–791. , , , .
- 1979 Seasonal fluctuations of active fungal biomass in horizons of a podzolized pine-forest soil in Central Sweden. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 11; 149–154.
- 1989 Ecsomycorrhizal synthesis with an isolate of Russula aeruginea. Mycological Research 92: 103–107. , .
- 1991 Ectomycorrhizal synthesis with Tylospora fibrillosa, a member of the Corticiaceae. Mycological Research 95: 381–384. , .
- 1993 The influence of nitrogen fertilizers on ectomycorrhizas and their fungal carpophores in young stands of Pinus sylveris. Forest Ecology and Management 57: 179–189. .
- 1991 Effects of ammonium and nitrate on mycorrhizal seedlings of pinus sylverstris. European Journal of Forest Pathology 21: 404–413. ,
- 1987 Occurrence of carpophores of ettomycorrhizal fungi in selected stands of Piniu sylvestri L. in the Netherlands in relation to stand vitality and air pollution. Plant and Soil 104: 209–217. ,
- 1989 This relation in the field between fruiibodies of mycorrhizal fungi and their mycorrhizas. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 28: 509–512. , .
- 1991 The decline of carpophores of ectomycorrhizal fungi in stands of Pinus sylvestri in the Netherlands: possible causes. Nova Hedwigia 53: 267–289. , .
- 1990 Impacts of artificial, ammonium-enriched rainwater on soils and young coniferous trees in a greenhouse. Part II. Effects an the trees. Environmental Pollution 63: 41–59. , , , .
- 1992 Effects of ammonia and ammonium sulphate on Douglas fir (Pseudntsuga menztrsii). Environmental Pollution 76: 1–9. , , , .
- 1980 Patterns of nutrient concentration in hasidiocarps in western Washington. Canadian Journal of Botany 58: 694–698. , .
- 1982 Mycorrhizal role in net primary production and nutrient cycling in Abies amabili ecosystems in western Washington. Ecology 63: 370–380. , , , .
- 1995 A new hypothesis to explain allocation of dry matter between mycorrhizal fungi atid pine seedlings in relation to nutrient supply. Plant and Soil 168–169: 243–248.
- 1991 Effects of excess nitrogen on carbohydrate concentration and mycorrhizal development of Pinus syhvstris seedlings. New Phytologist 119: 405–411. ,
- 1992 Effects of excess nitrogen and phosphorus starvation on the extramatrrical mycelium of ectomycorrhizas of Pinus sylvestris L. New Phytologist 120: 495–503. ,
- 1982 Hur påverkar skogens skötsel förekomsten av storsvampars fruktkoppar. Svensk Botanisk Tidskrift 83: 103–112.
- 1968 Oznaczanie chityny w grzybach. Summary: Determination of chitin in mushrooms. Mikologia Stosowara 1: 65–71.
- 1964 Staining plant tissues with chlorazal black E and pianese III-B. Stain Technology 39: 81–86. , .