Current address: Section of Forest Soils, Department of Forest Ecology. Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, S-TO183, Umeå. Sweden
Fungal biomass in roots and extramatrical mycelium in relation to macronutrients and plant biomass of ectomycorrhizal Pinus sylvestris and Alnus incana
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 131, Issue 4, pages 443–451, December 1995
How to Cite
EKBLAD, A., WALLANDER, H., CARLSSON, R. and HUSS-DANELL, K. (1995), Fungal biomass in roots and extramatrical mycelium in relation to macronutrients and plant biomass of ectomycorrhizal Pinus sylvestris and Alnus incana. New Phytologist, 131: 443–451. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1995.tb03081.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 18 August 1994; accepted 1 May 1995)
- 1984. A modified sucrose fractionation procedure for the isolation of frankiae from actinorhizal root nodules and soil samples. Plant and Soil 78: 23–28. ,
- 1975. The magnoloid mycorrhiza and mycotrophy in root systems derived from it. In: SandersFE, MasseB, TinkerPB, eds. Endomycorrhizas. London : Academic Press, 373–389. .
- 1991. A critical review an the role of mycorrhizal fungi in the uptake of phosphorus by plants. Plant and Soil 134: 189–207. .
- 1987. Empirical, model building and response surfaces. New York : Wiley. ,
- 1978. Statistics for experimenters. New York : Wiley. , , .
- 1961. The 2k-p fractional factorial design. Part 1. Technometrics 3: 311–351. , .
- 1989. Studies in tetrapartite symbioses. I. Role of ecto-and endomycorrhizal fungi and Frankia on the growth performance of Alnus incana. Plant and Soil 118: 145–150. , ,
- 1992. The growth of the extramatrical, mycelium of ectomycorrhizal fungi and the growth response of Pinus sylvestris L. New Phytologist 120: 127–135. , ,
- 1986. Dormancy in Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) seedlings. In: LindgrenD. ed. Provenances and Forest Tree Breeding for High Latitudes. Department of Forest Genetics and Plant Physiology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences. Report 6, 81–98.
- 1995. Nitrogen fixation by Alnus incana and nitrogen transfer from A. incana to Pinus sylvestris influenced by macronutrients; and ectomycorrhiza. New Phytologist 131: 453–459. ,
- 1986. The physiology of improved phosphate nutrition in mycorrhizal plants. In: Gianinazzi-PearsonV, GianinazziS, eds. Physiological and Genetical Aspects of Mycorrhizae. Proc. 1st European Symposium on Mycorrhizae, Dijon. 1–5 July 1985. INRA, Paris , 101–109. ,
- 1985. The development, structure, and histochemistry of sclerotia of ectomycorrhizal fungi. II. Paxillus involutus. Canadian Journal of Botany 63: 1412–1417. , ,
- 1989. The significance of mycorrhiza. Mycological Research 92: 129–139. .
- 1987. A check-list of mycorrhiza in the British flora. New Phytologist 105 (2, Suppl.): 1–102. , .
- 1983. Mycorrhizal Symbiosis. Academic Press, London . , .
- 1978. Nitrogenase activity measurements in intact plants of Alnus incana. Physiologia Plantarum 43: 372–376.
- 1991. Influence of host (Alma and Myrica) genotype on infectivity, N2 fixation, spore formation and hydrogenase activity in Frankia. New Phytologist 119: 121–127.
- 1990. Phosphorus relationships and production of extramatrical hyphae by two types of willow ectomycorrhizas at different soil phosphorus levels. New Phytologist 115: 259–267. , , .
- 1970. Paxillus involutus as a mycorrhizal symbiont of forest trees. Acta Fotestalia Fennica 106: 1–73.
- 1941. Zur Kenntnis der Mycorrhizabildner von Kiefer und Fichte. Symbolae Botanica Upsaliensis 5: 1–147.
- 1992. Effect of temperature on sclerotium induction in Paxillus involutus. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 38: 1197–1201. , .
- 1992. Ergosterol analysis as a means of quantifying mycorrhizal biomass. In: NorrisJR, ReadDJ, VarmaAK. eds. Methods in Microbiology vol 2-1. London : Academic Press, 77–88. ,
- 1980. Mycorrhizal associations of some actinomycete nodulated nitrogen-fixing plants. Canadian Journal of Botany 58: 1449–1454. .
- 1986. Nitrogen fixation and biomass production in symbioses between Alnus incana and Frankia strains with different hydrogen metabolism. Physiologia Plantarum, 66: 99–107. , ,
- 1991. Effects of ammonium and nitrate on mycorrhizal seedlings of Pinus sylvestris, European Journal of Forest Pathology 21: 404–413. ,
- 1992. Effects of excess nitrogen and phosphorus starvation on the extramatrical mycelium of ectomycorrhizas of Pinus sylvestris L. New Phytologist 120: 495–503. ,
- 1988. A review of evidence on the control of shoot: root ratio, in relation to models. 61: 413–444. .