Section of Forest Soils, Department of Forest Ecology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, S-901 83, Umeå, Sweden
Nitrogen fixation by Alnus incana and nitrogen transfer from A. incana to Pinus sylvestris influenced by macronutrients and ectomycorrhiza
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 131, Issue 4, pages 453–459, December 1995
How to Cite
EKBLAD, A. and HUSS-DANELL, K. (1995), Nitrogen fixation by Alnus incana and nitrogen transfer from A. incana to Pinus sylvestris influenced by macronutrients and ectomycorrhiza. New Phytologist, 131: 453–459. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1995.tb03082.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 18 August 1994; accepted 1 May 1995)
- 1993. Nitrogen translocation between Alnus glutinosa (L.) Gaertn. seedlings inoculated with Frankia sp. and Pinus contorta Doug, ex Loud seedlings connected by a common ectomycorrhizal mycelium. New Phytologist 124: 231–242. , , ,
- 1990. Optimizing actinorhizal nitrogen fixation and assessing actual contribution under field conditions. In: WernerD, MüllerP, eds. International Conference on Fast Graining Trees and Nitrogen Fixing Trees. Stuttgart : Gustaf Fischer Verlae, 291–299. .
- 1984. A modified sucrose fractionation procedure for the isolation of frankiae from actinorhizal root nodules and soil samples. Plant and Soil 78: 23–28. ,
- 1983. Mycorrhizas and their significance in nodulating nitrogen-fixing plants. Advances in Agronomy 36: 1–54. ,
- 1991. Nutrient transfer between the root zones of soybean und maize plants connected by a common mycorrhiza mycelium. Physiologia Plantarum 82:113–432. , , ,
- 1975. Effect of nitrate-nitrogen on the nodule symbioses of Coriaria and Hippophaë Proceedings of Royal Society of London 190: 199–209. , .
- 1987. Empirical model building-and response surfaces. New York : Wiley. ,
- 1987. Effect of nutrient conditions on root nodule development in Alnus japonica. Canadian Journal of Botan, 65: 1658–1670. , .
- 1988. Ectomycorrhizal effects on nodulation, nitrogen fixation and growth of Alnus glutinosa as affected by glyophosphate. In: DhawanV, ed. Proceedings of the International Workshop on Applications of Biotechnology in Forestry and Agriculture. New Delhi. India, 309–320. , ,
- 1989. Studies in tetrapartite symbioses. I. Role of ecto-and endomycorrhizal fungi and Frankia on the growth performance of Alnus incana. Plant and Soil 118: 145–150. , ,
- 1995. Actinorhizal and ectomycorrhizal activities in Alnus incana and Pinus sylvestris. Ph.D. thesis, Umea University, Umea , Sweden .
- 1994. Day-to-day variation in nitrogenase activity of Alnus incana explained by weather variables: a multivariate time aeries analysis. Plant, Cell and Environment 17: 319–325. , , ,
- 1995. Fungal biomass in roots and extramatrical mycelium in relation 10 macronutrients and plant biomass of ectomycorrhizal Pinus sylvestris and Alnus incana. New Phytologist 131: 443–451. , , ,
- 1992. Utilization of organic and inorganic nitrogen sources by ectomycorrhizal fungi in pure culture and in symbiosis with Pinus contorta Dougl. ex Loud. New Phytologist 120: 105–115. , , .
- 1992. Transfer of symbiotically fixed nitrogen from berseem (Trifolium alexandrium L.) to maize via vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal hyphae. New Phytologist 122: 447–454. ,
- 1991. Endomycorrhizal fungi in nitrogen transfer from soybean to maize. Plant and Sail 138: 33–40. , , , .
- 1986. Mycorrhizae of nitrogen-fixing legumes. MIRCEN Journal 2: 121–145. .
- 1988. Underground transfer of nitrogen between pasture plants infected with vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 108: 417–423. , , .
- 1990. The physiology of actinorhizal nodules. In: SchwintzerCR, TjepkernaJD, eds. The Biology of Frankia and Actinorhizal Plants. San Diego : Academic Press, 129–156.
- 1991. Influence of host (Alnus and Myrica) genotype on infectivity, N2 fixation, sport formation and hydrogenase activity in Frankia. New Phytologist 119: 121–127.
- 1993. Mineral nutrition in the tripartite interaction between Frankia, Glomus and Alnus at different soil phosphorus regimes. New Phytologist 123: 307–311. , , .
- 1985. Enhanced N-transfer from a soybean maize by vesicular arbuscular (VAM) fungi. Plant Physiology 79: 562–563. , , .
- 1988. Mycorrhizal links between plants: their functioning and ecological significance- Advances in Ecological Research 18: 243–270. .
- 1992. Interaction between plants: the role of mycorrhizae. Mycorrhiza 1: 47–53. , , ,
- 1993. Nodule growth and activity may be regulated by a feedback mechanism invoking phloem nitrogen. Plant. Cell and Environment 16: 125–136. , , , .
- 1983. Nitrogen uptake, transport and utilization. In: BroughtonWJ, ed. Nitrogen Fixation, Volume 3. Legumes. Oxford : Clarendon Press, 245–298. , .
- 1991. Mycorrhizas in ecosystems. Experientia 47: 176–391. .
- 1985. Mycorrhizal mycelia and nutrient cycling in plant communities. In: FinerAH, ed. Ecological Interactions in Soil. Oxford : Blackwell, 193–217. , , .
- 1981. Tripartite associations in snowbrush (Ceanothus velutinus): effect of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizae on growth, nodulation, and nitrogen fixation. Canadian Journal of Botany 59: 34–39. , .
- 1989. Evaluating alder-endophyte (Alnus acuminata-Frankia-mycorrhizae) interactions. Plant and Sail 118: 151–155. .
- 1986. Nitrogen fixation and biomass production in symbioses between Alnus incana and Frankia strains with different hydrogen metabolism. Physiologia Plantarum 66: 99–107. , ,
- 1961. The effect of ammonium nitrogen on fixation of elemental nitrogen in Alnus and Myrica. Plant paid Sail 14: 347–359. ,
- 1986. Physiology of actinorhizal nodules. Annual Review of plant Physiology 37: 209–232. , , .