Chemical changes in selected wetland plant species with increasing Fe supply, with specific reference to root precipitates and Fe tolerance
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 131, Issue 4, pages 503–520, December 1995
How to Cite
SNOWDEN, R. E. D. and WHEELER, B. D. (1995), Chemical changes in selected wetland plant species with increasing Fe supply, with specific reference to root precipitates and Fe tolerance. New Phytologist, 131: 503–520. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1995.tb03087.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 27 February 1995; accepted 17 August 1995)
- 1983. The influence of environmental conditions on the growth of wetland plants with special reference to Epilobium hirsutum L. and Epilobium palustre L. Ph.D. thesis, University of Sheffield, UK . .
- 1974. Chemical analysis of ecological materials. Oxford : Blackwell Scientific Publications. , , ,
- 1967. The oxidising activity of roots in waterlogged soils. Physiologia Plantarum 20: 920–926.
- 1979. Aeration in higher plants. Advances in Botanical Research 7: 225–332.
- 1982. Waterlogged soils. In: EtheringtonJR. ed. Environment and Plant Ecology. London : John Wiley & Sons, Lid, 290–327.
- 1977. Characteristics of coatings formed on rice roots us affected by iron and manganese additions. Soil Science Society of America Journal 41: 931–935. , .
- 1961. Iran oxidation proximate to plant roots. Sail Science 92: 372–474. .
- 1984. The mechanism of excessive iron-uptake (iron toxicity) of Wetland rice. Journal of Plant Nutrition 7: 177–185. , , ,
- 1986. Aluminium toxicity and induced nutrient disorders involving the uptake and transport of P. K. Ca and Mg in Zea Mays L. South African Journal of Plant and Soil 3: 11–17. , , .
- 1946. A method for the rapid determination of alkaline phosphatase with five cubit millimetres of serum. Journal of Biological Chemistry 164: 321–328. , , .
- 1980. Influence of inorganic and organic toxicants on inhibition of nutrient uptake by rice (Central Rice Research Institute, Cuttack 733006). Oryza 17: 58–62. , , .
- 1980a. Iron coatings on rice roots: mineralogy and quantity influencing factors. Soil Science Society of America Journal 44: 635–639. , , .
- 1980b. Iron coatings on rice roots: morphology and models of development. Soil Science Satiety of America Journal 44: 1113–1119. , , .
- 1987. Flora of the British Isles, 3rd edn. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. , , .
- 1989. Location of radial oxygen loss and zones of potential iron uptake in a grass and two nongrass emergent species. Canadian Journal of Botany 67: 717–722. , .
- 1990. Iron toxicity In wetland plants. Ph.D. thesis, University of Sheffield, UK . .
- 1983. Population differentiation in Festuca rubra L. and Agrostis stolonifera L. in response to soil waterlogging. New Phytologist 94: 573–583. , .
- 1976. Physiological and biochemical aspects of metal tolerance. In: MansfieldTA, ed. Effects of Air Pollutants on Plants. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. 115–133.
- 1978. The physiology of metal toxicity in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 29: 511–566. , , .
- 1977. Oxidation of ferrous iron by rice (Oryza sativa L.) roots: a mechanism for waterlogging tolerance Journal of Experimental Botany 28: 678–689. , .
- 1989. The ecology of Crymlyn Bog, W. Glamorgan. Final report to HP Group Environmental Services. .
- 1966. Sand and water culture methods used in the study of plant nutrition. Technical communication no. 22 (revised 2nd edn). Commonwealth Bureau of Horticulture and Plantation Crops, East Mailing, Maidstone, Kent. Farnham Royal , Bucks. , England : Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux. .
- 1972. A Comparative study of seedling root growth with respect to aluminium and iron supply. Ph.D. thesis. University of Sheffield, UK . .
- 1973. Iron-induced oranging disease of rice in relation to physico-chemical changes in a flooded oxisol. Proceedings of the Soil Science Society of America 37: 898–903. .
- 1968. Some chemical effects of waterlogging in soils of low PH on the growth of Erica cinerea and Erica tetralix. Ph.D. thesis. University of Wales, Cardiff , UK . .
- 1971 a. Comparative studies of plant growth and distribution in relation to waterlogging. II. Experimental study of relationship between transpiration and uptake of iron in Erica cinerea L. and Erica tetralix L. Journal of Ecology 59: 167–178. .
- 1971b. Comparative studies of plant growth and distribution in relation to waterlogging. III. The response of Erica cinerea L. to waterlogging in peat soils of differing iron content. Journal of Ecology 59: 581–591. .
- 1970. Comparative studies of plant growth and distribution in relation to waterlogging. I. The survival of Erica cinerea L. and Erica tetralix L. and its apparent relationship to iron and manganese uptake in waterlogged soil. Journal of Ecology 58: 487–496. , .
- 1972. Comparative studies of plant growth and distribution in relation to waterlogging, V. The uptake of iron and manganese by dune and dune slack plants. Journal of Ecology 60: 131–140.
- 1987. The anatomical characteristics of roots and plant response to soil flooding. New Phytologist 106: 465–495. ,
- 1989. The relative roles of internal aeration, radial oxygen losses, iron exclusion and nutrient balances in flooding-tolerance of Rumex species. Acta Botanica Neerlandica 38: 131–145. , , ,
- 1987. Soil factors influencing ferric hydroxide plaque formation on roots of Typha latifolia. Plant and Soil 102: 177–184. , .
- 1990. Ecophysiological effects of high concentrations of iron and other heavy metals on Eriophorum angustifolium Honch. and Phragmites australis (Cav.) Trin. ex Steudel. Ph.D. thesis, University of Sheffield, UK . .
- 1982. Elemental analysis of deposits on the roots of Spartina alterniflora Loisel. American Journal of Botany 69: 404–412. , .
- 1989. Aluminium phosphate interactions in wheat. New Phytologist 113: 7–12. , .
- 1983. Multiple nutritional suit stress as the prerequisite for iron toxicity of wetland rice (Oryza sativa L.). Tropical Agriculture, Trinidad, 60: 102–106. , , ,
- 1983. Diagnosis of mineral disorders implants, vol, 2 Vegetables. London : HMSO. ,
- 1993a. Iron. In: HendryGAP, GrimeJP, eds. Methods in Comparative Plant Ecology: A Laboratory Manual. London : Chapman & Hall, 213–213. , .
- 1993b. Iron toxicity to fen plant species. Journal of Ecology 81: 35–46. , .
- 1977. The chemical analysis of freshwater. Fisheries and environment of Canada miscellaneous special publication, no. 25, 2nd edn. Winnipeg : Freshwater Institute. , , .
- 1988. Iron oxide-deposits on the roots of Phragmites australis related to the iron bound to carbonates in the soil. Journal of Plans Nutrition 11: 1253–1262. , .
- 1989. Factors affecting iron plaque on the roots of Phragmites australis (Cav.) Trin. ex Steudel. Plant and Sail 116: 85–93. , .
- 1993. Microscopic observations of the iron plaque of a submerged aquatic plant (Vallisneria americana Michx). Aquatic Botany 46: 155–167. , , .
- 1975. Devices of rice roots to tolerate high iron Concentrations in growth media. Japan Agricultural Research Quarterly 9: 34–39.
- 1987. Comparative studies of plant growth and distribution in relation to waterlogging. XII. Growth, photosynthetic capacity und metal ion uptake in Salix caprea and 5. cinerea sp. oleifolia. New Phytologist 105: 503–574. , , .
- 1966. Some mechanisms involved in the development of iron toxicity symptoms in the rice plant. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition 12 (4): 158(32)–164(38). , , .
- 1966. Chlorosis of the rice plant induced by high pH of culture solution. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition 12(6): 213(7)–219(13). , .
- 1984. Formation and morphology of iron plaque on the roots of Typha latifolia L. grown in solution culture. American Journal of Botany 71: 666–675. , ,
- 1988. An investigation to determine the effects of different ferrous iron concentrations on the root morphology of species tolerant and intolerant of waterlogging. Undergraduate Dissertation, Department of Plant Science, University College. Cardiff. .
- 1975. Physiological mechanisms of heavy metal tolerance in plants. In: ChadwickMJ. GoodmanGT, eds. The Ecology of Resource Degradation and Renewal. 15th Symposium of the British Ecological Society. Oxford : Blackwell Scientific Publications, 231–257. , .
- 1987. Comparative studies of plant growth and distribution in relation to waterlogging. XIV. Iron, manganese, calcium and phosphorus concentrations in leaves and roots of Geum rivale L. and Geum urbanum L. grown in waterlogged soil. New Phytologist 106: 689–696. , , .
- 1985. Iron toxicity to plants in base-rich wetlands: comparative effects on the distribution and growth of Epolobium hirsutum L. and Juncus subnodulosus Schrank. New Phytologist 100: 653–669. , , .
- 1984. The use of dialysis cells for investigating pore water composition in wetland Substrata, with particular reference to dissolved iron and sulphide. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 15: 707–716. , .
- 1988. The cost of heavy-metal tolerance: an example. Evolution 42: 408–413. .
- 1969. Differences in the properties of the acid phosphatases of plant roots and their significance in evolution of edaphic ecotypes. In: RorisonIH. ed. Ecological Aspects of the Mineral Nutrition of Plants. (British Ecological Society Symposium no. 9.) Oxford : Blackwell Scientific Publications, 357–380. .