Submerged batch culture of the psychrophile Monographella nivalis in a defined medium; growth, carbohydrate utilization and responses to temperature
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 129, Issue 2, pages 299–308, February 1995
How to Cite
CAIRNS, A. J., HOWARTH, C. J. and POLLOCK, C. J. (1995), Submerged batch culture of the psychrophile Monographella nivalis in a defined medium; growth, carbohydrate utilization and responses to temperature. New Phytologist, 129: 299–308. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1995.tb04300.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- Received 11 August 1994; accepted 8 November 1994
- 1986. Survival and saprobic ability of Monographella nivalis in soil. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 86: 373–379. ,
- 1964. The effect of varied temperature on the kinetics of metabolism of Gibberella fujikuroi in stirred culture. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 10: 445–466. , , , , , , , ,
- 1988. The submerged culture of filamentous fungi. In: BerryDR, ed. Physiology of industrial fungi. Oxford : Blackwell Scientific. 219–248.
- 1987. Colorimetric microtitre plate assay of glucose and fructose by enzyme-linked formazan production: Applicability to the measurement of fructosyl transferase activity in higher plants. Analytical Biochemistry 167: 270–278.
- 1989. Fructan biosynthesis in excised leaves of Lolium temulentum L. IV. Cell free 14C labelling of specific oligofructans at low sucrose concentration. New Phytologist 112: 465–473.
- 1993. Evidence for the de nova synthesis of fructan by enzymes from higher plants; a reappraisal of the SST/FFT model. New Phytologist 123: 15–24.
- 1991. The interpretation of in vitro measurements of fructosyl transferase activity: an analysis of patterns of fructosyl transfer by fungal invertase. New Phytologist 118: 23–34. ,
- 1995. Characterisation of acid invertase from the psychrophilic fungus, Monographella nivalis. New Phytologist. (In the press). , ,
- 1988a. Fructan biosynthesis in excised leaves of Lolium temulentum L. I. Chromatographic characterization of oligofructans and their labelling patterns following 14CO2 feeding. New Phytologist 109: 399–405. ,
- 1988b. Fructan biosynthesis in excised leaves of Lolium temulentum L. II. Changes in fructosyl transferase activity following excision and application of inhibitors of gene expression. New Phytologist 109: 407–413. ,
- 1971. Studies on the endogenous respiration of the psychrophilic fungus, Typhula idahoensis. Canadian Journal of Botany 49: 2081–2087. ,
- 1991. Screening winter wheat for resistance to cottony snow mould under controlled conditions. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 71: 957–965. ,
- 1991. Psychrophilic and psychrotrophic microorganisms. Experientia 42: 1192–1197.
- 1980. Glucofructan biosynthesis in Fusarium oxysporum. Phytochemistry 19: 2557–2563. ,
- 1982. Glucofructosan biosynthesis in Fusarium oxysporum: Regulation and substrate specificity of fructosyl transferase and invertase. Phytochemistry 21: 1249–1253. ,
- 1987. The ecological significance of fructan in a contemporary flora. New Phytologist 106 (suppl.): 201–216.
- 1955. Hexoside hydrolases. In: ColowickSP, KaplanNO, eds. Methods in Enzymology 1. Academic Press, 231–257. , ,
- 1987. Rapid changes of heat and desiccation tolerance correlated with changes in trehalose content in Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells subjected to temperature shifts. FEES Letters 220: 113–116. , ,
- 1989. Heat shock proteins in Sorghum bicolor and Pennisetum americanum I. Genotypic and developmental variation during seed germination. Plant, Cell and Environment 12: 471–477.
- 1993. Gene expression under temperature stress. New Phytologist 125: 1–26. ,
- 1974. Resistance in winter cereals and grasses to low temperature parasitic fungi. Annual Review of Phytopathology 12: 218–302.
- 1983. Plant pathologist's pocket book, second edition. Commonwealth Mycological Institute. ,
- 1970. The effect of temperature on the metabolism of baker's yeast growing in continuous culture. Journal of General Microbiology 60: 107–116. ,
- 1990. Heat shock protein induction and the acquisition of thermotolerance in the psychotrophic yeast Trichosporon pullulans. Current Microbiology 20: 391–396. ,
- 1990. Seed treatments for Typhula blight and pink snow mould of winter wheat and relationships among disease intensity, crop recovery and yield. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology 12: 63–74. ,
- 1980. Response of plants to environmental stress. Vol. I, Chilling, freezing and high temperature stress. New York : Academic Press.
- 1990. The characterization of the heatshock response in the artic plant Saxifraga cernua. Canadian Journal of Botany 68: 56–62. , ,
- 1990. Continuous variation within isolates of Typhula ishikariensis biotypes B and C associated with habitat differences. Canadian Journal of Botany 68: 1768–1773. ,
- 1980. Heat shock proteins and thermal resistance in yeast. Biophysical and Biochemical Research Communications 93: 819–824. ,
- 1979. A response of protein synthesis to temperature shift in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 76: 5222–5225. , ,
- 1990. Purification and characterisation of the invertase from Schizosaccharomyces pombe. A comparative analysis with the invertase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochemical Journal 267: 697–702. , ,
- 1975. Psychrophilic bacteria. Bacteriological Review 39: 144–167.
- 1986. The heat shock response: A comparative analysis. Oxford Surveys of Plant Molecular Biology and Cell Biology 3: 384–438. , , ,
- 1988. Major sclerotial polypeptides of psychrophilic fungi; Temperature regulation of in vivo synthesis in vegetative hyphae. Canadian Journal of Botany 66: 1755–1761. ,
- 1993. The functions of heat-shock proteins in stress tolerance: degradation and reactivation of damaged protein. Annual Review of Genetics 27: 437–496. ,
- 1986. Speculations on the functions of the major heat shock and glucose-regulated proteins. Cell 46: 959–961.
- 1986. Pathogenicity of Monographella nivalis to spring barley. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 86: 287–293.
- 1985. The heat shock response of fungi. Experimental Mycology 9: 187–194. ,
- 1985. Fructans. In: DeyPM, DixonRA, eds. Biochemistry of storage carbohydrates in green plants. New York : Academic Press, 205–227. ,
- 1988. Effect of photoperiod and irradiance changes upon development of freezing tolerance and accumulation of soluble carbohydrate in seedlings of Lolium perenne grown at 2 °C. Annals of Botany 62: 95–100. , ,
- 1987. Maximum likelihood program. Release 3.08. Oxford : Numerical Algorithms Group.
- 1974. Snow moulds of turfgrasses in Saskatchewan. In: RobertsEC, ed. Proceedings of the second international turfgrass research conference, 313–324.
- 1993. Properties of the cellulolytic system from Aspergillus niveus. Mycological Research 97: 15–22. ,
- 1969. A kinetic study of the growth of Aspergillus nidulans and other fungi. Journal of General Microbiology 57: 11–24.
- 1969. Plant pathological methods; Fungi and bacteria. Minneapolis , USA : Burgess Publishing Company.
- 1990. Solubilisation of a cell wall bound invertase in Aspergillus nidulans. FEMS Microbiology Letters 71: 265–270. ,
- 1991. Regulation of invertase in Aspergillus nidulans: effect of different carbon sources. Journal of General Microbiology 137: 315–321. ,
- 1957. The Thiobaccilli. Bacteriological Review 21: 195–213. ,
- 1986. A comparison of fungicides for the control of Typhula snow rot in winter barley. Annals of Applied Biology 108: S.42–43.
- 1966. Preliminary studies of the physiology of Sclerotinia borealis; a highly psychrophilic fungus. Canadian Journal of Botany 44: 237–246.
- 1968. Temperature-induced changes in hyphal morphology of the psychrophile Sclerotinia borealis. Canadian Journal of Botany 46: 524–525.
- 1990. The structure and histochemistry of sclerotia of Typhula incarnata. Canadian Journal of Botany 68: 2085–2091. , , ,
- 1992. Fructosyl transferase activity in the tissue-macerating preparation, Pectolyase Y-23; Physiological role of fructosyl transfer in Aspergillus and significance for studies of fructan synthesis in grasses. New Phytologist 121: 525–533. , ,
- 1991. Identification and characterisation of isolates of Typhula causing snow rot of winter barley in the United Kingdom. Mycological Research 95: 995–999. ,