Clover as an indicator plant for phytotoxic ozone concentrations: visible injury in relation to species, leaf age and exposure dynamics
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 129, Issue 2, pages 355–365, February 1995
How to Cite
KARLSSON, G. P., SELLDÉN, G., SKÄRBY, L. and PLEIJEL, H. (1995), Clover as an indicator plant for phytotoxic ozone concentrations: visible injury in relation to species, leaf age and exposure dynamics. New Phytologist, 129: 355–365. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1995.tb04306.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- Received 31 January 1994; accepted 13 September 1994
- 1949. Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphenoloxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiology 24: 1–5.
- 1989. Sensitivity of white clover to ambient ozone in Switzerland. New Phytologist 112: 235–243. , , ,
- 1978. Prevention of ozone injury to plants by a new protectant chemical. Phytopathology 68, 1225–1229. , ,
- 1988. Effects of air filtration at small SO2 and NO2 concentrations on the yield of barley. Environmental Pollution 53: 135–149. , , , , ,
- 1993. Growth and gas exchange characteristics of two clones of white clover Trifolium repens L. differing in ozone sensitivity. Angewandte Botanik 67: 163–167. , ,
- 1988. Factors influencing ozone dose. Yield response relationship in open-op field chambers studies. In: HeckWW, TaylorOC, TingeyDT, eds. Assessment of crop loss from air pollutants. London, New York : Elsevier Applied Science. , , , , ,
- 1993. Effects of ozone and carbon dioxide mixtures on two clones of white clover. New Phytologist 123: 751–762. , , ,
- 1989. Effects of long-term O3 exposure and soil moisture deficit on growth of a ladino clover-tall fescue pasture. Phytopathology 79: 128–136. , , , ,
- 1975. Ozone. Responses of plants to air pollution. In: , . eds. Physiological ecology. Academic Press, 23–56.
- 1991. Origin of Bel-W3, Bel-C and Bel-B tobacco varieties and their use as indicators of ozone. Environmental Pollution 74, 264–291.
- 1993. Dose-response studies with ethylenediurea (EDU) and radish. Environmental Pollution 79, 249–260. ,
- 1982. Studies on the mechanism of ozone tolerance: Cytokinin-like activity of N-[2-(2-oxo-1-imidazolidinyl)ethyl] –N'-phenylurea, a compound protecting against ozone injury. Physiologia Plantarum 56, 486–491. ,
- 1988. Evaluation of ozone exposure indicies in exposure-response modelling. Environmental Pollution 53, 43–62. , ,
- 1989. Black poplar and red clover as bioindicators for ozone at a forest site. Angewandte Botanik 63, 111–118. , ,
- 1994. Effects of air pollutant emissions from a rural motorway on Petunia and Trifolium. The Science of the Total Environment 146/147, 117–123. , , , , ,
- 1994. Ozone deposition to an oat crop (Avena sativa L.) grown in open-top chambers and in the ambient air. Atmospheric Environment (in the press). , , , ,
- 1993. Ozone critical levels for agricultural crops. Analysis and interpretation of the results from the UN-ECE International Cooperative Programme for crops. In: FuhrerJ, AchermannB, eds. Critical levels for ozone. UN-ECE workshop report No. 16. Liebfeld-Bern : Swiss Federal Research Station for Agricultural Chemistry and Environmental Hygiene. , ,
- 1967. Statistical methods, 6th edn. Iowa State University Press. ,
- UNECE. 1990. Minutes of the fourth meeting of the programme task force, 28 November–1 December 1990, Bechyne, Czechoslovakia.