Allometric relations and growth in Pinus taeda: the effect of elevated CO2, and changing N availability
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 134, Issue 1, pages 85–93, September 1996
How to Cite
GEBAUER, R. L. E., REYNOLDS, J. F. and STRAIN, B. R. (1996), Allometric relations and growth in Pinus taeda: the effect of elevated CO2, and changing N availability. New Phytologist, 134: 85–93. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1996.tb01148.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 27 November 1995; accepted 15 April 1996)
- 1990. Pinus taeda L. In: BurnsRM, HonkalaBH, eds. Silvics of North America, vol. 1, Conifers . Washington DC : University States Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Agricultural Handbook 654, 497–512. , .
- 1990. Response of natural ecosystems to the rising CO2 levels. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 21: 167–196. .
- 1993. Atmospheric nitrogen deposition and its impact on terrestrial ecosystems. In: VosCC, OpdamP, eds. Landscape Ecology of a Stressed Environment. London : Chapman & Hall, 104–121. , , .
- 1995. Allocation, within and between organs, and the dynamics of root length changes in two birch species. Oerologia 101: 439–447. , , .
- 1985. Resource limitation in plants - an economic analogy. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematic 16: 363–392. , , .
- 1990. The significance of size and morphology of root systems for nutrient acquisition and competition. In: LambersH, CambridgeML, KoningsH, PonsTL, eds. Variation in Growth Rate and Productivity. The Hague : SPB Academic Publishing, 299–311. .
- 1965. Evolutionary significance of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Advances in Genetics 13: 115–155. .
- 1983. Functional equilibrium: sense or nonsense Netherlands Journal of Agricultural Science 31: 335–348. .
- 1994. Compensatory responses of CO2, exchange and biomass allocation and their effects on the relative growth rate of ponderosa pine in different CO2 and temperature regimes. Oecologia 98: 159–166. , , , .
- 1994. Carbon allocation in trees: a review of concepts for modelling. Advances in Ecological Research 25: 59–104. , .
- 1994. Effects of elevated atmospheric CO2 on woody plants. New Phytologist 127: 425–446. , .
- 1980. The mineral nutrition of wild plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 11: 233–260. .
- 1994. Interpreting phenotypic variations in plants. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 9: 187–191. , , .
- 1993. Elevated CO2 and plant nitrogen-use: is reduced tissue nitrogen concentration size-dependent Oecologia 93: 195–200. , , .
- 1990. Growth and biomass partitioning in Eucalyptus grandis seedlings in response to nitrogen supply. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 17: 503–515. , .
- 1995. Interactive effects of soil fertility and atmospheric CO2 on leaf area growth and carbon gain physiology on Populus×euramericana (Dode) Guinier. New Phytologist 129: 253–263. , , , , .
- 1956. Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances. Analytical Chemistry 28: 350–356. , , , , .
- 1989. The direct effects of increase in the global atmospheric CO2 concentration on natural and commercial temperate trees and forests. Advances in Ecological Research 19: 1–55. , .
- 1972. The quantitative analysis of plant growth. Oxford : Blackwell Scientific Publications. .
- 1991. The effects of increased atmospheric carbon dioxide and temperature on carbon par-titioning, source-sink relations and respiration. Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 819–830. , .
- 1979. Carbon dioxide: critique I. In: TibbittsTW, KozlowskiTT, eds. Controlled Environment Guidelines for Plant Research. New York : Academic Press, 229–234. , .
- 1991. The influence of carbon dioxide and daily photon-flux density on optimal nitrogen concentrations and root-shoot ratio. Annals of Botany 68: 365–376. , , .
- 1989. Measuring plant protein with the Bradford assay. 1. Evaluation and standard method. Journal of Chemical Ecology 15: 979–992. , , .
- 1989. A 3–dimensional model of atmospheric CO2 transport based on observed winds. 1. Analysis of observational data. In: PetersonDH, ed. Aspects of Climate Variability in the Pacific and Western America. Washington DC : American Geophysical Union, 165–235. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Biomass fractioning in plants: a reconsideration of definitions based on plant functions. In: RoyJ, GarmerE, eds. A Whole Plant Perspective on Carbon-Nitrogen Interactions. The Hague : SPB Academic Publishing. 173–185. .
- 1987. Dry matter partitioning and root/ leaf area ratios in herbaceous perennial plants with diverse altitudinal distribution. Oecologia 74: 411–418. , .
- 1992. Carbohydrate sources and sinks in woody plants. Botanical Review 58: 107–227. .
- 1992. Inherent variation in growth rate between higher plants: a search for physiological causes and ecological consequences. Advances in Ecological Research 23: 187–261. , .
- 1994. Root response to CO2 enrichment and nitrogen supply in loblolly pine. Plant and Soil 165: 21–32. , , .
- 1970. The distribution of dry matter growth between shoot and roots in loblolly pine. Botanical Gazette 131: 349–359. , , .
- 1994. Predicting responses of photosynthesis and root fraction to elevated [CO2: interactions among carbon, nitrogen and growth. Plant, Cell and Environment 17: 1195–1204. , , .
- 1968. Amino acid analysis: aqueous dimethyl sulfoxide as solvent for the ninhydrin reaction. Journal of Biological Chemistry 243: 6281–6283. .
- 1985. Sulphate and nitrate concentrations in snow from South Greenland 1895–1978. Nature 314: 611–613. , , , , .
- 1991. Leaf area compensation and nutrient interactions in CO2-enriched seedlings of yellow-poplar (Liriodendron lulipifera L.). New Phytologist 117: 515–528. , .
- 1927. Growth studies. W. On the relative size of growing plant organs. Annals of Botany 151: 549–556. .
- 1992. Effects of elevated carbon dioxide concentrations on photosynthesis and growth of small birch plants (Betulapendula Roth.) at optimal nutrition. Plant, Cell and Environment 15: 911–919. , .
- 1982. A shoot; root partitioning model. Annals of Botany 49: 585–597. , .
- 1994. Plant responses to atmospheric CO2 enrichment with emphasis on roots and the rhizosphere. Environmental Pollution 83: 155–189. , , .
- 1985. Long–term atmospheric CO2 enrichment affects growth and development of Liquidambar styraciflua and Pinus taeda seedlings. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 15: 468–471. , , , , .
- 1981. Biometry. San Francisco : WH Freeman Co. , .
- 1992. Field measurements of CO2 enhancement and climate change in natural vegetation. Water. Air and Soil Pollution 139: 600–604. , .
- 1993. Root growth and functioning under atmospheric CO2 enrichment. Vegetatio 104/105: 99–115. , .
- 1994. An integrated approach to the influence of CO2 on plant growth using data for three herbaceous species. In: RoyJ, GarnerE, eds. A Whole Plant Perspective on Carbon-Nitrogen Interactions. The Hague : SPB Academic Publishing, 229–245. , , , .
- 1992. Phenotypic plasticity and the Neo-Darwinian legacy. Evolutionary Trends in Plants 6: 61–71. .
- 1994. Effects of nutrient status on photosynthetic capacity in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) seedlings grown in elevated atmospheric CO2. Tree Physiology 14: 947–960. , , .
- 1993. Long-term effects of elevated GOB and nutrients on photosynthesis and rubisco in loblolly pine seedlings. Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 859–865. , , .
- 1996. Growth and photosynthesis of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) after exposure to elevated CO2 for 19 months in the field. Tree Physiology 16: 49–59. , , .
- 1995. Effect of seasonal water availability on phenology and the annual shoot carbohydrate cycle of tropical forest shrubs. Functional Ecology 9: 518–527. , .
- 1955. The application of the allametric formula to the study of the relationship between the roots and shoots of young grass plants. Agricultural Progress 30: 59–65. .
- 1994. Beyond global warming - ecology and global change. Ecology 75: 1861–1876. .
- 1988. A review of evidence on the control of shoot: root ratio in relation to models. Annals of Botany 61: 433–449. .
- 1992. CO2× nitrogen interaction on seedling growth of four species of Eucalpyt. Australian Journal of Botany 40: 457–472. , , .
- 1990. Elevated atmospheric partial pressure of CO2 and plant growth. II. Non-structural carbohydrate content and its effect on growth. Photosynthesis Research 23: 171–180. .
- 1990. A rapid quantitative measurement of root length and root branching by microcomputer image analysis. Plant and Soil 126: 301–308. , .