University of Niǧde, Aksaray Engineering Faculty, Department of Environmental Engineering, 68100 Aksaray, Turkey.
Sulphur dioxide effects on fungi growing on leaf litter and agar media
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 134, Issue 1, pages 167–176, September 1996
How to Cite
DURSUN, S., INESON, P., FRANKLAND, J. C. and BODDY, L. (1996), Sulphur dioxide effects on fungi growing on leaf litter and agar media. New Phytologist, 134: 167–176. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1996.tb01156.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 21 September 1995; accepted 29 March 1996)
- Air Monitor Group. 1994. Air pollution in the UK 1992–93. Stevenage , UK : Warren Spring Laboratory, Department of Environment.
- Anon. 1993. Air pollution and tree health in the United Kingdom. London : HMSO.
- 1978. Influence of pH on inhibition of bacteria, fungi and coliphages by bisulphite and sulphite. Environmental Research 15: 405–417. , .
- 1980. Environmental factors that influence the toxicity of metal and gaseous pollutants to microorganisms. CRC Critical Reviews in Microbiology 8: 99–145. , .
- 1982. Gaseous and heavy metal air pollutants. In: BurnsRG, SlaterJM, eds. Experimental Microbial Ecology. Oxford : Blackwell Scientific Publications, 631–670. , .
- 1986. Sensitivity of certain soil microbial processes to acid deposition. Pedobiologia 29: 73–84. , .
- 1981. Effects of low-level SO2 fumigation on decomposition of western wheatgrass litter in a mixed-grass prairie. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 15: 257–261. , .
- 1994. The effects of sulphur pollution on soil fungi and decomposition of tree leaf Utters. Ph.D. thesis, University of Wales, UK . .
- 1993. Sulphite and pH effects oil CO2 evolution from decomposing angio spermous and coniferous tree leaf litters. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 25: 1513–1525. , , , .
- 1990. Methods for studying fungi in soil and forest litter. Methods in Microbiology 22: 344–404. , , .
- 1973. The impact of industrial air pollutants on the occurrence of several important pathogenic fungi of forest trees in Poland. European Journal of Forest Pathology 3: 129–141. , .
- 1967. Fungal decomposition of oak leaf litter. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 50: 267–273. .
- 1948. Germicidal effects of free and combined sulphur dioxide. Journal of the Society of the Chemical Industry 67: 18–21. .
- 1982. Influence of industrial atmospheric pollution on soil biotic component of Norway spruce stands. Zentralblatt für Mikrobiologie 137: 180–196. , .
- 1983. Effects of low-level sulfur dioxide exposure on decomposition on Agropyron smithii litter under laboratory conditions. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 19: 247–250. , , .
- 1986. The characterisation of ozone, sulfur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide for selected monitoring sites in the Federal Republic of Germany. Journal of the Air Pollution Control Association 29: 1329–1337. , .
- 1982. The role of microorganisms m transformation of sulphite in spruce forest soil. Folia Mitrobiologica 27: 147–149. .
- 1984. The effect of atmospheric SO2 pollution on the microflora of forest soils. Folia Microbiologica 27: 147–149. .
- 1988. Effects of open-air fumigation with sulphur dioxide on the occurrence of fungal pathogens in winter cereals. Phytopathology 78: 88–94. .
- 1992a. Effects of dry-deposited sulphur dioxide on fungal decomposition of angiosperm tree leaf litter. III. Decomposition rates and fungal respiration. New Phytologist 122: 127–140. , , , .
- 1992b. Effects of dry-deposited sulphur dioxide on fungal decomposition of angiosperm tree leaf litter. II. Chemical contents of leaf litter. New Phytologist 122: 111–125. , , .
- 1985. Effects of sulphur pollution on rates of litter decomposition in a pine forest. Canadian Journal of Botany 63: 1436–1443. , .
- 1973. Sulphur dioxide: its effect on photosynthetic 14C fixation in lichens and suggested mechanism of phytotoxicity. New Phytologist 72: 141–154. , , , .
- SAS 1992. SAS user's guide: statistics, release 6.03 edition. Cary , NC , USA : SAS Institute Inc.
- 1959. The analysis of variance. New York : Wiley. .
- 1949. Preservation of fruit juices with less sulphur dioxide. Food Manufacture 24: 414–416. , .
- 1989. A preliminary assessment of the air pollution climate of the UK. Stevenage , UK : Warren Spring Laboratory. , , , , , .
- 1978. Effects of low concentrations of bisulfite-sulfite and nitrite on microorganisms. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 35: 718–723. , , .
- 1991a. Chemical changes in decomposing forest litter in response to atmospheric sulphur dioxide. Journal of Soil Science 42: 615–628. , .
- 1991b. Combined use of open-air and indoor fumigation systems to study effects of SO2 on leaching processes in Scots pine litter. Environmental Pollution 74: 325–343. , .
- 1991. Effects of atmospheric sulphur dioxide on microbial activity in decomposing forest litter. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 33: 263–280. , , .
- 1974. Malate dehydrogenase in Zea mays: properties and inhibition of sulphite. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 364: 28–37. .