Effects of elevated carbon dioxide and arbuscular mycorrhizal infection on Trifolium repens
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 132, Issue 3, pages 413–423, March 1996
How to Cite
JONGEN, M., FAY, P. and JONES, M. B. (1996), Effects of elevated carbon dioxide and arbuscular mycorrhizal infection on Trifolium repens. New Phytologist, 132: 413–423. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1996.tb01861.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 28 July 1995; accepted 30 October 1995)
- 1988 Non-structural carbohydrates and nitrogen of soybean grown under carbon dioxide enrichment. Crop Science 28: 84–94. , , , , .
- 1991 The ecology of mycorrhizia. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. .
- 1993 Parasitic and mutualistic associations between a mycorrhizal fungus and soybean: the effect of phosphorus on host plant-endophyte interactions. Physiologia Plantarum 57: 543–548. , , .
- 1980 Growth of clover-ryegrass association with vesicular arbuscular mycorrhizas. Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 23: 379–383. .
- 1986 The effect of elevated carbon dioxide concentrations on growth and gaseous exchange of Italian ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum) and maize (Zea mays). M.Sc. thesis. Trinity College, University of Dublin, Ireland .
- 1993 Elevated CO2 and plant nitrogen-use: is reduced tissue nitrogen concentration size-dependent Oecologia 93: 195–200. , , .
- 1990 Increases in phosphorus requirements for CO2-ennched pine species. Plant Physiology 92: 977–982. , , , .
- 1993 Hydrogen evolution from root nodules of Trifolium repens and Medicago saliva plants grown under elevated atmospheric CO2. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 36: 177–183. .
- 1986 Crop responses to carbon dioxide doubling: a literature survey. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 38: 127–145. ,
- 1990 Elevated atmospheric CO2 effects on belowground processes in C3 and pi estuarine marsh communities. Ecology 71: 2001–2006. , , , .
- 1989 Nitrogen and carbon dynamics in C3 and C4 estuarine marsh plants grown under elevated CO2 in situ. Oecologia 78: 297–301. , , .
- 1982 Interactions between vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and plant pathogens. Phytopathology 71: 1115–1119. .
- 1956 Colorimetric method for the determination of sugars and related substances. Analytical Chemistry 28: 350–356. , , , ,
- 1993 Photosynthetic net CO2 uptake and leaf phosphate concentrations in CO2 enriched clover (Trifolium) subterraneum L.) at three levels of phosphate nutrition. Journal of Experimental Botany 44: 17–22. , ,
- 1994 Interactive effects of elevated CO2 and mineral nutrition on growth and CO2 exchange of sweet chestnut seedlings (Castanea sativa). Tree Physiology 14: 679–690. ,
- 1989 The effects of enriched CO,2, on plant-insect herbivore interact ions: growth responses of larvae of the specialist butterfly Junconia coenia (Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae). Oecologia 81: 514–520. .
- 1980 Allocation of carbon to growth, storage and respiration in the vegetative barley plant. Plant. Cell and Environment 3: 97–105. .
- 1968 Vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza and plant growth. Annual Review of Phytologist 6: 397–418. .
- 1980 An evaluation of techniques for measuring vesicular- arbuscular mycorrhizal infection in roots. New Phytologist 84: 489–500. ,
- 1983 Plant growth in response to CO2 enrichment, at two levels of nitrogen and phosphorus supply. I. Dry matter, leaf area and development. Netherlands Journal of Agricultural Science 31: 157–169. , .
- 1986 The response of simulated swards of perennial ryegrass and white clover to enriched atmospheric CO2: interaction with nitrogen and photosynthetic photon flux density. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 29: 567–573. , , .
- 1975 The influence of phosphate and crop species on Endogone spores and vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza under field condition. Plant and Soil 43: 489–495. , ,
- 1994 Influence of elevated CO2 end mild water stress on non-structural carbohydrates in field-grown cotton tissues. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 70: 153–162. , , , , , .
- 1992 Mycorrhizal dependence of modern wheat varieties, landraces, and ancestors. Canadian Journal of Botany 71: 512–518. , , .
- 1990 Climate change the IPCC scientific assessment. Intergovernmental panel mi climate change, Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. , , .
- 1994 Plant responses to atmospheric CO2 enrichment in the face of environmental constraints: a review of the past 10 years research. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 69: 153–203. , .
- 1995 The effects of elevated CO2 concentrations on the root growth of Lolium perenne and Trifolium repens in a repens in a FACE system. Global Change Biology 1: 361–371. , , , ,
- 1991 Nutrient dilution by starch in CO2-enriched Chrysanthemum, Journal of Experimental Botany 42: 711–716. , , , .
- 1990 The biochemical background of variation in respiration rate: respiratory pathways and chemical composition. In: Lumbers H, Cambridge ML. Konings H, Pans TL, eds. Causes and Consequences of Variation in Growth Rate and Productivity of Higher Plants. The Hague : SPB Academic Publishing, 199–225. ,
- 1989 The effect of carbon supph on allocation to allelochemicals and cuterpillar consumption of peppermint. Oecologia 78: 112–114. ,
- 1986 Response of an insect herbivore to host plants grown in carbon dioxide enriched atmospheres. Oecologia 69: 556–560. , ,
- 1981 CO2 and phytomass. Bio Science 31: 626. .
- 1994 CO2 enrichment responses of wheat: interactions with temperature, nitrate and phosphate. New Phytologist, 127: 447–453. , .
- 1982 Nitrogen and lignin control of hardwood leaf litter decomposition dynamics. Ecology 63: 621–626. , , .
- 1994 The response of mycorrhizal colonization to elevated CO2 and climate change in Pascopyrum smithii and Bouteloua gracilis. Plant and Soil 165: 75–80. , , , .
- 1994 Enhanced root system C-sink activity, water relations and aspects of nutrient acquisition in mycotrophic Bouteloua gracilis Subjected to CO2 enrichment. Plant and Soil 165: 139–146. , , , .
- 1992 Growth kinetics, carbohydrate, and leaf phosphate content of clover (Trifoliumsubterraneum L.) after transfer to a high CO2 atmosphere or to high light and ambient air. Plant Physiology 99: 84–95. , ,
- 1973 Advances in the study of vesicular-arbusculur mycorrhiza. Annual Review of Phytopathology 11: 171–181.
- 1967 Utilization of phosphorus sources of different availability by mycorrhizal and non-mycorrhizal maize. Plant and Suit 27: 329–334. , , .
- 1981 Increased drought resistance of mycorrhizal onion plants. Phytopathology 71: 896–897. , .
- 1966 A method of estimating the total length of root in a sample. Journal of Applied Ecology 3: 139–145. .
- 1989 Effects of different CO2 environments on the photosynthesis-yield relationship and the carbon and water balance of a white clover [Trifolium repens L. cv. Blanca) sward. Journal of Experimental Botany 40: 353–359. , ,
- 1987 Carbon allocation, root exudation and mycorrhizal colonization of Pinus echinata seedlings grown under CO2 enrichment. Tree Physiology 3: 203–210. , , , .
- 1987 Increases in mycorrhizal colonization and seedling growth in Pinus echinata and Quercus alba in an enriched CO2 atmosphere Canadian Journal of Forestry Research 17: 878–883. , , .
- 1993 Nitrogen and phosphorus dynamics of a tallgrass prairie ecosystem exposed to elevated carbon dioxide. Plant, Ceil and Environment 16; 843–850. , , .
- 1993 The relative contribution of hyphae and roots to phosphorus uptake by arbuscular mycorrhizal plants, measured by dual labelling with 32P and 33P. New Physiologist 124: 489–494. ,
- 1993 Interspecific variation in the growth response of plants to an elevated ambient COB concentration. Vegetatio 104/105: 77–97.
- 1994 Elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide effects on sorghum and soybean nutrient status. Journal of Plant Nutrition 17: 1939–1954. , , , , .
- 1993 Nitrogen and phosphorus requirements of cotton and wheat under changing atmospheric CO2 concentrations. Plant and Soil 155/156: 231–244. , , ,
- 1994 Effects of free-air CO2 enrichment on microbial populations in the rhizosphere and phyllosphere of cotton. Agricultural and Forest Meterology 70: 117–130. , , , , , .
- 1992 The influence of elevated CO2, and temperature of biomass production of continuously defoliated white clover. Plant, Cell and Environment 15: 593–599. , .
- 1992 Growth of white clover, dependent on N2 fixation, in elevated CO2 and Temperature. Annals of Botany 70: 221–228. , , .
- 1984 Influence of carbon dioxide concentration on growth, carbohydrate contest, trans-location and photosynthesis of white clover. Annals of Botany 54: 735–742. ,
- 1994 Insects and fungi on a Ca sedge and a C4 grass exposed to elevated atmospheric CO2 concentrations in open-top chambers in the field. Plant, Ceil and Environment 17: 1161–1167. , .
- 1993 Mycorrhizal response to elevated CO2 in serpentine grassland communities. Bulletin Ecological Society of America 74: 484. .