Catechin, proanthocyanidin and lignin contents of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda) needles after chronic exposure to ozone
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 132, Issue 3, pages 483–492, March 1996
How to Cite
BOOKER, F. L., ANTTONEN, S. and HEAGLE, A. S. (1996), Catechin, proanthocyanidin and lignin contents of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda) needles after chronic exposure to ozone. New Phytologist, 132: 483–492. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1996.tb01868.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 31 March 1995; accepted 19 October 1995)
- 1993 Ozone effects root-disease susceptibility and defence responses in mycorrhizal and non-mycorrhizal seedlings of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L). New Phytologist 124: 633–663. , ,
- 1990 Flavonoids as antioxidants: determination of radical-scavenging efficiences. Methods in Enzymology 186: 343–355. , , ,
- 1980 Polymeric proanthocyanidins. Stereochemistry, structural units, and molecular weight. Journal of the Chemical Society. Perkin Transactions 1: 2278–2286. , , , .
- 1992 Phenylpropanoid metabolism: biosynthesis of monolignols. lignans and neolignans, lignins and suberins. In: Stafford HA. Ibrahim RK. eds. Phenolic Metabolism in Plants, New York : Plenum Press, 325–375. , .
- 1992 The determination of lignin. In: Lin SY. Dunce CW. eds. Methods in Lignin Chemistry. Berlin : Springer-Verlag, 33–61. .
- 1994 Biochemical plant responses to ozone. IV. Cross-induction of defensive pathways in parsley (Petroselinum crispum L.) plants. Plant Physiology 104: 67–74. , , ,
- 1968 The constitution and biosynthesis of lignin. Molekularbiologie, Biochemie und Biophysik 2: 47–122.
- 1992 Lignin and associated phenolic acids in cell walls. In: Gurr SJ, McPherson MJ, eds. Molecular Plant Pathology: A Practical Approach. Oxford : IRL Press. 9–14.
- 1993 Molecular cloning, sequence analysis and elicitor-/ozone-induced accumulation of cinnamyl alcohol dehydrogenase from Norway spruce (Picea abies L.). Plant Molecular Biology 23: 145–156. , , , , ,
- 1987 Radial diffusion method for determining tannin plant extracts. Journal of Chemical Ecology 13: 437–449. .
- 1988 Extraction of tannin from fresh and preserved leaves. Journal of Chemical Ecology 14: 453–461. .
- 1990 Biochemical response of Norway spruce (Picea abies (L.) Karst.) toward 14-month exposure to ozone and acid mist. Part I. Effects on polyphenol and monoterpene metabolism. Environmental Pollution 64: 353–366. , , , , , , , .
- 1991 Response of total tannins and phenolics in loblolly pine foliage exposed to ozone and acid rain. Journal of Chemical Ecology 17: 505–513. , , , , , .
- 1994 Effect of Ozone on the biochemistry and aphid infestation of Scots pine. Phytochemistry 35: 39–42. , , ,
- 1988 Single and combined effects of continuous and discontinuous O3 and SO2 immission of Norway spruce needles. International Journal of Environmental Analytical Chemistry 32: 213–241. , , ,
- 1988 Lignin determination. Methods in Enzymology 161: 87–101. , .
- 1990 Role of phenolic substances from decomposing forest litter in plant-soil interactions. Acta Botanica Neerlandica 39: 329–348. .
- 1971 Isolation and structural studies. In: Sarkanen KV, Ludwig CH, Eds. Lignins: Occurrence, Formation, Structure and Reactions. New York : John Wiley and Sons, 165–240. , .
- 1990 Ozone-induced defense reactions in plants. In: Pfirrmann T, Payer HD, eds. Environmental Research with Plants in Closed Chambers. Neuherberg : Commission of European Communities Air Pollution Report, 358–368. , , , , , , ,
- 1992 Histological examination of spruce needles from a long-term gas exchange experiment in pure and polluted air in the held. Trees 6: 186–194. ,
- 1994 Forest declines: some perspectives on linking processes and patterns. In: Alscher RG, Wellburn AR, eds. Plant Responses to the Gaseous Environment. London : Chapman and Hall. 315–338. .
- 1986 The conversion of procyanidins and prodelphinidins to cyanidin and delphinidin. Phytochemistry 25: 223–230. , , .
- 1992 Phenolic compounds in needles of Norway spruce trees in relation to novel forest decline. I. Studies on trees from a site in the northern Black Forest. Physiologie der and Pflanzen 188: 305–320. ,
- 1991 Biochemical plant responses to ozone. II. Induction of stilbene biosynthesis in Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) seedlings. Plant Physiology 97: 1280–1286. , ,
- 1989 Ozone-induced early biochemical reaction in conifers. In: Longhurst JWS, ed. Acta Deposition: Sources. Effects and Controls. Oxford : British Library Technical Communications, 243–254. , , , ,
- SAS Institute 1985 SAS User's Guide: Statistics, Cary , NC : SAS Institute Inc..
- 1989 Growth responses of field-grown loblolly pine to chronic doses of ozone during multiple growing seasons. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 19: 821–831. , .
- 1965 Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic–phosphotungstic acid reagents. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture 16: 144–158. ,
- 1988 Cell wall conjugated phenolics from Coniferae leaves. Phytochemistry 27: 3517–3521. , , ,
- 1989 Condensed tannins in southern pines and their interactions with the- ecosystem, In: Hemingway RW, Karchesy JJ, eds. Chemistry and Significance of Condensed Tannins. New York : Plenum Press, 369–390. , , ,
- 1992 Sequential extraction of condensed tannins from pine litter at different starts of decomposition. In: Hemingway RW, Laks PE, eds. Plant Polyphenols, New York : Plenum Press, 597–608. , , , .
- 1976 The effect of chronic ozone exposures on the metabolite content of punderosa pine seedlings. Forest Science 22: 234–241. ,
- 1976 Binding of ferulic acid to cell walls by peroxidases of Pinus elliottii. Phytochemistry 15: 375–378. .
- 1995 Diagnosis of damage to Norway spruce (Picea abies) through biochemical criteria. Physiologia Plantarum 93: 375–382. ,
- 1983 Tannins: does structure determine function? An ecological perspective. The American Naturalist 121: 335–363. .