Division of Biology, Staffordshire University, College Road, Stoke-on-Trent, ST4, 2DE, UK.
The effects of different ozone exposures on three contrasting populations of Plantago major
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 132, Issue 3, pages 493–502, March 1996
How to Cite
PEARSON, S., DAVISON, A. W., REILING, K., ASHENDEN, T. and OLLERENSHAW, J. H. (1996), The effects of different ozone exposures on three contrasting populations of Plantago major. New Phytologist, 132: 493–502. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1996.tb01869.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 24 August 1995; accepted 27 November 1995)
- 1984 Effects of ozone on vegetation in the United Kingdom. In: GrennfeltP, ed. Ozone. Goteborg : Swedish Environmental Research Institute (IVL), 92–104. .
- 1995 The effects of mane and cutting on toe species composition of artificial grassland communities. Functional Ecology 9: 708–712. ,
- 1989 Sensitivity of white clover to ambient ozone in Switzerland. New Phytologist 112: 235–243. , , ,
- 1992 Mutant in influences dry matter distribution, assimilate partitioning and flowering in Lathyrus odoratus L. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 55–62. , , .
- 1990 Ozone in the UK: a review of 1989/90 data from monitoring sites operated by Warren Spring Laboratory Warren Spring Report No. LR 793 (AP). , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991 Air quality in the UK: a summary of results from instrumented air monitoring networks in 1989/90. Warren Spring Report No. LR 859 (AP). , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992 Air quality in the UK: a summary of result from instrumented air monitoring networks in 1990/91. Warren Springer Report No. LR 859 (AP). , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1987 The impact of ozone on assimilate partitioning in plants: a review. Environmental Pollution 47: 95–113. , .
- 1989 Decline t activity and quantity of ribulose biophosphatase carboxylase/oxygenase and net photosynthesis in ozone-treated potato foliage. Plant Physiology 91: 427–432. , .
- 1995 A rapid change in ozone resistance of Plantago major after summers with high ozone concentrations. New Phytologist 131: 337–344. ,
- 1994 Biochemical responses to ozone. IV. Cross-tolerance of defensive pathways in parsley (Petroselinum crispum L.) plants. Plant Physiology 104: 67–74. , , ,
- 1992 Ozone-induced changes of mRNA levels of β-1, 3-glueanase chitinase and ‘pathogenesis-related’ protein 1b in tobacco plants. Plant Molecular Biology 20: 673–682. , , ,
- 1992 The effects of ambient air on a semi-natural grassland community. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 38: 91–97. , .
- FuhrerJ, AchermannB. 1994 eds. Critical levels far ozone: a UN-ECE Workshop Report Number 16. Liebefeld-Bern , Switzerland : Federal Research Station for Agricultural Chemistry and Environmental Hygiene.
- 1993 Ozone induction and purification of source (Picea abies [L.] Karst.) cinnamyl alcohol dehydrogenase. Phytochemistry 32: 557–563. , ,
- 1991 Adaptation of a white clover population to ozone stress. New Phytologist 119: 61–68. , , , , .
- HeckW, TaylorOC, TingeyDT. 1987 eds. Assessment of crap loss from air pollutants. London : Elsevier Applied Science.
- 1994 Plant defence systems induced by ozone. Plant. Cell and Environment 17: 783–794. , , ,
- 1986 Effects of air pollutants on the growth and functioning of roots. Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences (Plant Science) 96: 429–441. , .
- 1993 Use of tobacco cultivars as biological indicators of ambient ozone pollution: an analysis of exposure-response relationships. Environmental Pollution 81: 137–146. , ,
- KuiperPJC, BosM. 1992 eds. Plantago: a multidisciplinary study. Heidelberg : Springer-Verlag.
- 1982 the possibilities of using anti-oxidants: a literature study. Report of the Institute fur Plain Protection Wageningen : Institute for Plant Protection.
- 1982 Effects of ozone on growth of seven grass and one clover species. Acta Agricultural Scandinavica Section B Soil mid Plant Science 42: 235–239. .
- 1993 Effects of ozone on growth of several subalpine plant species. Norwegian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 7: 121–138. .
- 1992 Effects of ozone and temperature on growth of several wild plant species. Norwegian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 6: 195–204. ,
- 1994 Ozone sensitivity of species in semi-natural plant communities. In: FuhrerJ. AchermannB, eds. Critical levels for Ozone : A UN-ECE Workshop Report Number 16. Liebefeld-Bern , Switzerland : Federal Research Station for Agricultural Chemistry and Environmental Hygiene. 264–268. ,
- 1992a The response of native, herbaceous species to ozone: growth and fluorescence screening. New Phytologist 120: 29–37. , .
- 1992b Effects of a short ozone exposure given at different stages in the development of Plantago major L. New Phytologist 121: 643–647. , .
- 1992c Spatial variation in ozone resistance of British populations of Plantago major L. New Phytologist 122: 699–708. , .
- 1995 Effects of ozone on stomatal conductance and photosynthesis in populations of Plantago major L. New Phytologist 129: 587–594. , .
- 1994 Ambient ozone can induce plant defence- reactions in tobacco. Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 102B: 55–61. , , ,
- UKPORG 1994 Ozone in the United Kingdom 1993. Third Report of the photochemical oxidants review group. London : Department of the Environment.
- 1995 The use of an unenclosed field fumigation system to determine the effects of elevated ozone on a grass-clover mixture. New Phytologist 129: 23–32. , , .
- 1989 A preliminary assessment of the air pollution climate of the UK. Warren Spring Report No. LK 723 (AP). , , , , ,