The roles of internal iron hydroxide precipitation, sulphide toxicity and oxidizing ability in the survival of Stratiotes aloides roots at different iron concentrations in sediment pore water
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 133, Issue 2, pages 253–260, June 1996
How to Cite
SMOLDERS, A. J. P. and ROELOFS, J. G. M. (1996), The roles of internal iron hydroxide precipitation, sulphide toxicity and oxidizing ability in the survival of Stratiotes aloides roots at different iron concentrations in sediment pore water. New Phytologist, 133: 253–260. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1996.tb01892.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 15 November 1995; accepted 4 January 1996)
- 1972. Sulphide inhibition of oxidases in rice roots. Phytopathology 62: 634–639. , .
- 1978. Root aeration in the wetland condition. In: HookDD, CrawfordEMM, eds. Plant Life m Anaerobic Environments. Michigan : Ann Arbor, 269–297.
- 1967. Some field observations relating the growth of bog plants to conditions of soil aeration. Journal, of Ecology 55: 101–110. , .
- 1994. Mechanisms of flood tolerance in plants. Acta Botanica Neerlandica 43: 307–358. , , .
- 1985. A critical oxygen pressure for root extension in rice. Journal of Experimental Botany 36: 1573–1582. ,
- 1961. Iron oxidation proximate to plant roots. Soil Science 92: 372–379. .
- 1981. Effect of anaerobiosis on carbohydrate content in rice roots. Biochemie und Physiologie der Pflanzen 176: 835–840. , ,
- 1989. Prevention of iron stress in iron metabolism of plants. Acta Botanica Neerlandica 38: 105–129. .
- 1984. Free space iron pools in roots. Plant Physiology 78: 596–600. , , .
- 1980. Iron coatings on rice roots: morphology and models of development. Soil Science Society of America Proceedings 44: 1113–1119. , , .
- 1986. Aquatic macrophytes in relation to water quality and sediment characteristics. The Netherlands : Department of Ecology, University of Nijmegen. (In Dutch.). , .
- 1977. Oxidation of ferrous iron by rice (Oryza sativa L.) roots; a mechanism for waterlogging tolerance 28: 678–690. , .
- 1985. Iron-induced oxygen radical metabolism in waterlogged plants. New Phytologist 101: 199–206. , .
- 1989. Sulphide as a soil phytotoxin: differential responses in two marsh species. Journal of Ecology 77: 565–578. , .
- 1989. The relative roles of internal aeration, radial oxygen losses, iron exclusion and nutrient balance in flood-tolerance of Rumex species. Acta Botanica Neerlandica 38: 131–145. , , ,
- 1991. The relative importance of anaerobiosis and high iron levels in flood-tolerance of Rumex species. Plant and Soil 136: 153–161. , ,
- 1991. Inlet of alkaline river water into peaty lowlands: effects on water quality and Stratiotes aloides L. stands. Aquatic Botany 39: 267–293. .
- 1984. Impact of acidification and eutrophication on macrophyte communities in soft waters. II. Experimental studies. Aquatic Botany 18: 389–411. , , .
- 1985. Differential responses of salt marsh species to variation of iron and manganese. Vegetatio 62: 293–301. , , .
- 1986. Ammonium and nitrate uptake by aquatic macrophytes from poorly buffered and acidified waters. Aquatic Botany 24: 131–146. , ,
- 1990. Root aerenchyma, oxygen leakage patterns and alcoholic fermentation ability of the roots of some nymphaeid and isoetid macrophytes in relation to the sediment type of their habitat. Aquatic Botany 38: 3–17. , , ,
- 1995. Germination and seedling development in Stratiotes aloides Aquatic Botany 51: 269–279. , , .
- 1993. Sulphate-mediated iron limitation and eutrophication in aquatic ecosystems. Aquatic Botany 46: 247–253. , .
- 1979. Carbon uptake by leaves and roots of Litorella uniflora (L.) Aschers. Aquatic Botany 6: 1–12. ,
- 1993. Microscopic observations of the iron plaque of a submerged aquatic plant (Vallisneria americana Michx). Aquatic Botany 46: 155–167. , , .
- 1984. Formation and morphology of an iron plaque on the roots of Typha latifolia L. grown in solution culture. American Journal of Botany 71: 666–675. , ,
- 1978. Redox-chemical effects of Isoetes lacustrius L. in littoral sediments of Lake Feldsee. Archiv für Hydrobiologie 82: 20–48. ,
- 1978. Adaptation of plants to submerged soils. In: JungGA, ed. Crop Tolerance to Suboptimal Land Conditions. Madison , WI , USA : ASA, CSSA, 233–256. ,
- 1972. The influence of vegetation on the redox profile of the sediment of Grane Lanso, a Danish Lobelia lake. Limnology and Oceanography 17: 948–952. , .