Spatial heterogeneity of soil water around single roots: use of CT-scanning to predict fungal growth in the rhizosphere
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 133, Issue 2, pages 261–272, June 1996
How to Cite
GROSE, M. J., GILLIGAN, C. A., SPENCER, D. and GODDARD, B. V. D. (1996), Spatial heterogeneity of soil water around single roots: use of CT-scanning to predict fungal growth in the rhizosphere. New Phytologist, 133: 261–272. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1996.tb01893.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 3 August 1995; accepted 21 December 1995)
- 1987. Ecological neighbourhoods: scaling environmental patterns. Oikos 49: 340–346. , , , , , .
- 1990. Evaluation of constructed and natural soil macropores using X-ray computed tomography. Geoderma 46: 13–29. , , .
- 1993. Use of computer-assisted tomography in studying water movement around plant roots. Advances in Agronomy 49: 1–54. .
- 1994. Coping with environmental heterogeneity: the physiological ecology of tree seedling regeneration across the gap-understorey continuum. In: CaldwellMM, PercyRW, eds. Exploitation of Environmental Heterogeneity by Plants. San Diego : Academic Press, 349–390. , .
- 1974. Epidemiology of Rhizoctonia solani pro-emergence damping-off of radish: inoculum potential and disease potential interaction. 64: 957–962. ,
- 1943. Behaviour of the fungus Rhizoctonia solani Kühn in the soil. Annals of Applied Biology 30: 118–127. .
- 1980. Misconceptions, concepts and approaches in rhizosphere biology. In: EllwoodDC, ed. Contemporary Microbial Ecology, New York : Academic Press, 283–304.
- 1994. Gamma ray tomography measurements of soil density variations in soil cores. In: AndersonSH, HopmansJW, eds. Tomography of Soil–Water–Root Processes. Madison , Wisconsin : Soil Science Society of America Special Publ. No 36: 87–97. , , , .
- 1994. Soil heterogeneity can mask the effects of ammonium availability on nitrification. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 26: 1449–1453. , .
- 1993. The influence of soil type and cultivation systems of the spatial distributions of the soil fauna and micro-organisms and their interactions. Geoderma 60: 109–118. , , , ,
- 1980. A closed form equation for predicting the hydraulic conductivity of unsaturated soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal 44: 892–898.
- 1990. The influence of some component of the soil environment on the saprophytic growth of the take-all fungus, Gaeumannomyces graminis var. tritici in soil. Ph.D. thesis, University of Western Australia, Australia . .
- 1987. Influence of matric potential and soil compaction on the growth of the take-all fungus through soil. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 88: 83–89. , , ,
- 1990. The effect of soil compaction on the saprophytic growth of Rhizoctonia solani. Plant and Soil 121: 282–286. ,
- 1989. The characterization of soil macroporosity with CT-scanning. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 69: 629–637. , , .
- 1992. Soil water extraction, measured by computer-assisted tomography, in seedling Lupinus angustifolius cv. Yandee when healthy and infected with Phytophthora cinnamomi. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 121–127. , .
- 1984. Growth of Gaeumannomyces graminis var. tritici in soil: effects of temperature and water potential. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 116: 211–216. , ,
- 1983. The use of computer-assisted tomography to determine spatial distribution of soil water content. Australian Journal of Soil Research 21: 435–443. , .
- 1986. Water extraction by single plant roots. Soil Science Society of America Journal 50: 841–848. , .
- 1992. Soil solute concentration and water uptake by single lupin and radish plant roots. Plant and Soil 145: 187–246. , .
- 1980. Some consequences of habitat heterogeneity for population dynamics. Oikos 35: 150–160. .
- 1995. Linking contemporary vegetation models with spatially explicit animal population models. Ecological Applications 5: 20–27. , , ,
- 1992. X-ray tomography of soil water distribution in one-step outflow experiments. Soil Science Society of America Journal 56: 355–362. , , .
- 1972. A method of an apparatus for examination of a body by radiation such As X- or gamma-radiation. British Patent No. 1283915, London. .
- 1963. Root-soil boundary zones as seen in the electron microscope. Soil Science Society of America Proceedings 27: 273–277. ,
- 1993. Earthworm burrow system development assessed by means of X-ray computed tomography. Geoderma 56: 209–221. , , , ,
- 1991. Introduction: the heterogeneity of heterogeneity: a glossary, In: KolasaJ. PickettSTA, eds. Ecological Heterogeneity. New York : Springer-Verlag, 1–23. , .
- 1991. Comparative water uptake by roots of different ages in seedlings of loblolly pine (Pima taeda L.). New Phytologist 119: 551–560. , , .
- 1987. Selected aspects of the structure and development of field-grown roots with special reference to maize. In: GregoryPJ, LakeJV, RoseRA, eds. Root Development and Function. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 53–70.
- 1993. Root-soil contact of field-grown winter wheat. Geoderma 56: 277–286. , , .
- 1994, Extrinsic spatial variability of selected macro nutrients in a sandy soil. Geoderma 63: 95–106. , , .
- 1982. Soil bulk density analysis in three dimension by computed tomography scanning. Soil Science Society of America Journal 46: 445–450. , , .
- 1992. Applying X-ray CT to measure macropore diameters in undisturbed soil cores. Geoderma 53: 329–340. , , , .
- 1994. Fractal dimension to describe soil macropore structure using X-ray computed-tomography. Water Resources Research 30: 691–700. , , , ,
- 1991. Simultaneous measurement of the spatial distribution of soil water content and bulk density. Soil Science Society of America Journal 55: 908–915. , , .
- 1938. Studies on Rhizoctonia solani Kühn. IV. Effect of soil temperature and moisture on virulence. Canadian Journal of Research (C) 16: 203–213. .
- 1994. Spatial relationships of soil microbial biomass and C and N mineralization in a semi-arid shrub-steppe ecosystem. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 26: 1151–1159. , ,
- 1987. Observing soil-tool interactions and soil organisms using X-ray computer tomography. Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers 30: 1605–1610. , , .
- 1994. Techniques and approaches for documenting plant root development with X-ray computed tomography. In: AndersonSH, HopmansJW, eds. Tomography of Soil-Water-Root Processes. Soil Science Society of America Special Publ. No. 36, 115–133. , ,
- 1989. Characterizing macropores in soil by computed Tomography. Soil Science Society of America Journal 53: 653–660. , , , .
- 1989. Scaling of ‘landscapes’ in landscape ecology, or, landscape ecology from a beetle's perspective. Landscape Ecology 3: 87–96. , .
- 1991. Mathematica. A system for doing mathematics by computer, 2nd edition. California : Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc.