U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 200 S.W. 35th Street, Corvallis, OR 97333, USA.
The role of mycorrhizas in the response of Pinus taeda seedlings to elevated CO2
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 133, Issue 3, pages 431–443, July 1996
How to Cite
LEWIS, J. D. and STRAIN, B. R. (1996), The role of mycorrhizas in the response of Pinus taeda seedlings to elevated CO2. New Phytologist, 133: 431–443. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1996.tb01910.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 22 December 1994; accepted 20 November 1995)
- 1991. Effects of ozone and acidic deposition on carbon allocation and mycorrhizal colonization of Pinus taeda L. seedlings. Forest Science 37: 5–16. , .
- 1990. Manipulation of water and nutrients – practice and opportunity in Southern U.S. pine forests. Forest Ecology and Management 30: 437–453. , , .
- 1983. Phosphorus in Australian forests. In: CostinAB, WilliamsCH, eds. Phosphorus in Australia. Canberra : Centre for Resources and Environmental Studies, 114–134. .
- 1989. Seasonal changes in bud dormancy in loblolly pine seedlings. Tree Physiology 5: 379–385. , .
- 1991. Mycorrhizas in natural ecosystems. Advances in Ecological Research 23: 171–313.
- 1981. Effect of carbon dioxide enrichment on chlorophyll content, starch content and starch grain structure in Trifolium subterraneum leaves. Physiologia Plantarum 51: 171–174. , , .
- 1994. Effects of elevated atmospheric CO2 on woody plants. New Phytologist 127: 425–446. ,
- 1986a. Response of Pinus radiata seedlings to carbon dioxide enrichment at different levels of water and phosphorus: growth, morphology and anatomy. Annals of Botany 57: 165–177. , , .
- 1988. The influence of CO2, enrichment, phosphorus deficiency and water stress on the growth, conductance and water use of Pinus radiata D. Don. Plant, Cell and Environment 11: 91–98. , , , , .
- 1992. Effect of nitrogen and phosphorus availability on the growth response of Eucalyptus grandis to high CO2. Plant, Cell and Environment 15: 843–847. , , .
- 1990a. Growth, dry weight partitioning and wood properties of Pinus radiata D. Don after 2 years of CO2 enrichment. Plant, Cell and Environment 13: 329–337. , , , .
- 1990b. Increases in phosphorus requirements for CO2-enriched pine species. Plant Physiology 92: 977–982. , , , .
- 1986b. Chlorophyll a fluorescence and photosynthetic and growth responses of Pinus radiata to phosphorus deficiency, drought stress, and high CO2. Plant Physiology 81: 423–429. , , , , .
- Data Desk. 1992. Data Desk v.4.0. Ithaca , NY : Data Description, Inc.
- 1985. Photosynthetic inhibition after long-term exposure to elevated levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide. Photosynthesis Research 7: 175–184. , , .
- 1994. Evidence of a feedback mechanism limiting plant response to elevated carbon dioxide. Nature 364: 616–617. , , ,
- 1990. Carbon-sink stimulation of photosynthesis in Douglas fir seedlings by some ectomycorrhizas. New Phytologist 115: 269–274. , ,
- 1993. Photosynthetic net CO2 uptake and leaf phosphate concentrations in CO2 enriched clover (Trifolium subterraneum L.) at three levels of phosphate nutrition. Journal of Experimental Botany 44: 17–22. , ,
- 1989. The direct effects of increase in the global atmospheric CO2 concentration on natural and commercial temperate trees and forests. Advances in Ecological Research 19: 1–57. , .
- 1983. Effect of light, nitrogen fertilization, and mycorrhizal fungi on growth and photosynthesis of lodgepole pine seedlings. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 13: 1099–1106. , .
- 1986. Magnitude, duration, and economic analysis of loblolly pine growth response following bedding and phosphorus fertilization. Southern Journal of Applied Forestry 10: 124–128. , , , .
- 1976. Distribution, plant associates and variation in basidiocarps of Pisolithus tinctorius in the United States. Mycologia 68: 672–678. .
- 1994. Effects of resource availability on carbon utilization in Pinus taeda L. and Pinus ponderosa Dougl. ex Laws, seedlings. Ph.D. dissertation, Duke University, Durham, NC, USA. .
- 1993. Effects of nitrogen supply and elevated carbon dioxide on construction cost in leaves of Pinus taeda (L.) seedlings. Oecologia 95: 575–580. , , .
- 1990. Douglas-fir forest soils colonized by ectomycorrhizal mats. I. Seasonal variation in nitrogen chemistry and nitrogen cycle transformation rates. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 20: 211–218. , , , .
- 1994. Photosynthetic acclimation in trees to rising atmospheric CO2: a broader perspective. Photosynthesis Research 39: 369–388. , .
- 1973. Carbohydrate physiology of ectomycorrhizae. In: MarksGC, KozlowskiTT, eds. Ectomycorrhizae. New York : Academic Press, 207–231.
- 1990. Retrospective shoot growth analysis for three seed sources of loblolly pine. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 21: 306–317. .
- 1937. The physical basis of mycotrophy in Pinus. Black Rock Forest Bulletin 6: 1–168. .
- 1994. Carbohydrate metabolism in plants. Botanical Review 58: 107–222. .
- 1990. Ectomycorrhizae in reforestation. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 20: 438–451. ,
- 1974. Genetic variation among and within three loblolly pine stands in Georgia. Forest Science 20: 272–275. .
- 1994a. Phosphorus supply affects the acclimation of photosynthesis in loblolly pine to elevated carbon dioxide. Tree Physiology 14: 1229–1244. , , , .
- 1994b. Effect of elevated CO2 on mycorrhizal colonization of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) seedlings. Plant and Soil 165: 81–88. , , .
- 1980. Use of a single sulfuric acid-hydrogen peroxide digest for the analysis of Pinus radiata needles. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 11: 175–188. .
- 1985. Photosynthesis and transport of 14C-labeled photoassimilates in dwarf cucumber cultivar under CO2 enrichment. Journal of Plant Physiology 121: 71–79. ,
- 1977. Tree host range and world distribution of the ectomycorrhizal fungus Pisolithus tinctorius. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 23: 217–223. .
- 1990. Soil pH and nitrogen influence Pisolithus ectomycorrhizal development and growth of loblolly pine seedlings. Forest Science 36: 224–245. .
- 1992. Growth kinetics, carbohydrate, and leaf phosphate content of clover (Trifolium subterraneum L.) after transfer to a high CO2 atmosphere or to high light and ambient air. Plant Physiology 99: 89–95. , ,
- 1991. A review of the role of temperate forests in the global CO2 balance. Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association 41: 798–807. , .
- 1978. Root microorganisms. Their significance in the ecosystem. Biological Reviews 53: 511–554. .
- 1984. Plant responses to elevated atmospheric CO2 with emphasis on below-ground processes. OENL/TM-9426. Oak Ridge, TN, U.S.A.: Oak Ridge National Laboratory. , , , .
- 1992. Productivity and compensatory responses of yellow-poplar trees in elevated CO2. Nature 357: 322–324. , , , , .
- 1986. Effects of atmospheric CO2 enrichment on the growth and mineral nutrition of Quercus alba seedlings in nutrient-poor soil. Plant Physiology 82: 83–89. , , .
- 1987. Carbon allocation, root exudation and mycorrhizal colonization of Pinus echinata seedlings grown under CO2 enrichment. Tree Physiology 3: 203–210. , , , .
- 1990. Carbon flow in the rhizosphere of ponderosa pine seedlings. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 22: 449–455. , , .
- 1989. Effects of ectomycorrhiza on host growth and carbon balance in a semi-hydroponic cultivation system. New Phytologist 112: 389–398. ,
- 1987. Increases in mycorrhizal colonization and seedling growth in Pinus echinata and Quercus alba in an enriched CO2 atmosphere. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 17: 878–883. , , .
- 1992. Potential CO2-enhanced carbon storage by the terrestrial biosphere. Australian Journal of Botany 40: 641–656. , .
- 1989. Testing differences in relative growth rate: a method avoiding curve fitting and pairing. Physiologia Plantarum 67: 223–226. ,
- 1983. Nitrogen nutrition, photosynthesis and carbon allocation in ectomycorrhizal pine. Plant and Soil 71: 414–432. , , .
- 1990. Effects of phosphorus and ectomycorrhizas on the carbon balance of loblolly pine seedlings. Forest Science 36: 101–112. , .
- 1992. Relationship between biomass of the mycorrhizal fungus Pisolithus tinctorius and phosphorus uptake in loblolly pine seedlings. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 24: 183–184. , , .
- 1985. Reversibility of photosynthetic inhibition in cotton after long-term exposure to elevated CO2 concentrations. Plant Physiology 78: 619–622. , , .
- 1990. Evidence from chronosequence studies for a low carbon-storage potential of soils. Nature 348: 232–234. .
- 1981. Biometry. New York : W. H. Freeman and Co. , .
- 1985. Direct effects of increasing carbon dioxide on vegetation. Publication ER-0238, United States Department of Energy, Washington, DC. ,
- 1992. Field measurements of CO2 enhancement and climate change in natural vegetation. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 64: 45–60. , .
- 1991. Loblolly pine provenance variation in age of transition from juvenile to mature wood specific gravity. Forest Science 37: 160–174. , .
- 1987. Physiology and genetics of tree growth response to moisture and temperature stress: an examination of the characteristics of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.). Tree Physiology 3: 41–62. , , , , .
- 1994. Effects of leaf nutrient status on photosynthetic capacity in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) seedlings grown in elevated CO2. Tree Physiology 14: 947–960. , , .
- 1991. Root restriction as a factor in photosynthetic acclimation of cotton seedlings grown in elevated carbon dioxide. Plant Physiology 96: 627–634. , .
- 1993. Long-term effects of elevated CO2 and nutrients on photosynthesis and rubisco in loblolly pine seedlings. Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 859–865. , , .
- 1984a. Effects of CO2 enrichment on growth of Liquidamber styraciflua and Pinus taeda seedlings grown under different irradiance levels. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 14: 343–350. , .
- 1984b. Effects of CO2 enrichment and water stress on growth of Liquidamber styraciflua and Pinus taeda seedlings grown under different irradiance levels. Canadian Journal of Botany 62: 2135–2139. , .
- 1960. Loblolly Pine: Its Use, Ecology, Regeneration, Protection, Growth, and Management. Duke University, School of Forestry, Durham, NC, USA. .
- 1978. The biota and the world carbon budget. Science 199: 141–146. , , , , , .
- 1982. Effects of CO2 enrichment on growth and photosynthesis in Desmodium paniculatum. Canadian Journal of Botany 60: 1084–1091. , .
- 1993. Elevated atmospheric CO2 and feedback between carbon and nitrogen cycles. Plant and Soil 151: 105–117. , , , , , .