Effect of arbuscular mycorrhizas on uptake of nitrogen by Brachiaria arrecta and Sorghum vulgare from soils labelled for several years with 15N
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 133, Issue 3, pages 487–494, July 1996
How to Cite
IBIJBIJEN, J., URQUIAGA, S., ISMAILI, M., ALVES, B. J. R. and BODDEY, R. M. (1996), Effect of arbuscular mycorrhizas on uptake of nitrogen by Brachiaria arrecta and Sorghum vulgare from soils labelled for several years with 15N. New Phytologist, 133: 487–494. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1996.tb01916.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 14 August 1995; accepted 11 March 1996)
- 1983. Hyphai uptake and transport of nitrogen from two 15N-labelled sources by Glomus mosseae, a vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus. New Phytologist 95: 381–396. , , ,
- 1984. Nitrogen sources and ‘A’ values for vesicular–arbuscular and non-mycorrhizal sorghum grown at three rates of 15N-ammonium sulphate. New Phytologist 97: 269–276. , , , .
- 1987. Vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza improve both symbiotic N2 fixation and N-uptake from soil as assessed with a 15N technique under field conditions. New Phytologist 106: 717–725. , ,
- 1989. Mycorrhiza and phosphate interactions as affecting plant development, N2-fixation, N-transfer and N-uptake from soil in legume-grass mixtures by using a 15N dilution technique. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 21: 581–589. , ,
- 1983. Métodos de análise quimica de plantas. Boletim Técnico do Instituto Agronômico. Campinas, São Paulo, 798: 1–46. , , , , .
- 1986. Effect of inoculation of Azospirillum spp. on the nitrogen assimilation of field grown wheat. Plant and Soil 95: 109–121. , , ,
- 1995. Field application of the 15N isotope dilution technique for the reliable quantification of plant-associated biological nitrogen fixation. Fertilizer Research 42: 77–87. , , ,
- 1986. Estimation of biological nitrogen fixation associated with Brachiaria and Paspalum grasses using 15N labelled organic matter and fertilizer. Plant and Soil 90: 265–292. , .
- 1988. Influence of dissimilarities in temporal and spatial N-uptake patterns on 15N-based estimates of fixation and transfer of N in ryegrass-clover mixtures. Plant and Soil 112: 167–175. ,
- 1982. Nitrogen-total. In: PageAL, MillerRH, KeeneyDR, eds. Methods of Soil Analysis Part II. Chemical and Microbiological Properties. Monograph 9. Madison , WI , USA : American Society of Agronomy & Soil Science Society of America, 595–624. , .
- 1988. The use of 15N-enriched fertilizers for estimating nitrogen fixation in grain and pasture legumes. In: BeckDP, MateronLA, eds. Nitrogen Fixation by Legumes in Mediterranean Agriculture. Dordrecht , The Netherlands : Martinus Nijhoff, 345–358. .
- 1975. An independent measurement of the amount of nitrogen fixed by a legume crop. Plant and Soil 43: 707–711. ,
- 1952. A concept concerning the measurement of available soil nutrients. Soil Science 73: 263–271. , .
- 1983. The methodology of measurement of N2 fixation by non-legumes as inferred from field experiments with legumes. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 29: 1053–1062. , ,
- 1984. Sorghum genotype differences in phosphorus uptake rate and distribution in plant parts. Journal of Plant Nutrition 7: 1113–1126. , , , .
- 1968. Vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza and plant growth. Annual Review of Phytopathology 6: 397–418. .
- 1963. Spores of mycorrhizal Endogone species extracted from soil by wet sieving and decanting. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 46: 235–244. , .
- 1986. Use of isotope dilution to measure nitrogen fixation associated with the roots of sorghum and millet genotypes. Plant and Soil 90: 255–263. , , .
- 1980. An evaluation of techniques for measuring vesicular arbuscular mycorrhizal infection in roots. New Phytologist 84: 489–500. ,
- 1981. Membrane mediated decrease in root exudation response for phosphorus inhibition of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza formation. Plant Physiology 68: 548–552. , , .
- 1992. A model based on measurement of soil and plant 15N enrichment to estimate N2 fixation by soybean (Glycine max L. Merrill) grown in pots. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 24: 71–78. , , ,
- 1988. Underground transfer of nitrogen between pasture plants infected with vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 108: 417–423. , , .
- 1994. Use of 15N-labelling and 15N natural abundance to quantify the role of mycorrhizas in N uptake by plants: importance of seed N and changes in the 15N-labelling of available N. New Phytologist 127: 515–519. , , ,
- 1981. The effect of mycorrhizal inoculation on the phosphorus nutrition of Cassava (Manihot esculenta. Crantz). In: RussellRS, IgueK, MehtaYR, eds. The Soil/Root System in Relation to Brazilian Agriculture. Fundação Institute Agronômico do Paraná (IAPAR) 243–258. .
- 1975. The effect of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal association on growth of cereals. II. Effects on wheat growth. Annals of Applied Biology 80: 27–36. .
- 1981. The use of soils lightly enriched in 15N to screen for N2fixing activity. Plant and Soil 60: 487–489. ,
- 1980. Niveis criticos de fósforo em Brachiaria decumbens (Stapf) Prain, Brachiaria humidicola (Rendle) Schweickerdt, Digitaria decumbens Stent, Hypharrhenia rufa (Ness) Stapf, Melinis minntiflora Pal de Beuv, Panicum maximum (Jacq) e Pennisetum purpureum Schum. Anais da Escola Superior de Agronomia ‘Luiz de Queiroz’ 37: 913–975. , .
- 1987. Estimation of biological nitrogen fixation associated with 11 ecotypes of Panicum maximum grown in nitrogen-15-labeled soil. Agronomy Journal 79: 558–563. , .
- 1973. Advances in the study of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizas. Annual Review of Phytopathology 11: 171–196.
- 1953. The development, evaluation, and use of soil tests for phophorus availability. Agronomy 4: 153–188. , ,
- 1980. Nitrogen assimilation and dissimilation in five genotypes of Brachiaria spp. Canadian Journal of Botany 59: 1475–1479. , , .
- 1970. Improved procedures for clearing roots and staining parasitic and vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi for rapid assessment of infection. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 55: 158–162. , .
- 1973. Levantamento detalhado de solos da área da Universidade Federal Rural do Rio de Janeiro. Pesquisa Agropecuárina Brasileira 8: 1–27. , , .
- 1979. Role of endomycorrhizae in revegetation practices in the semi-arid west. 1. Comparison of incidence of mycorrhizae in severely disturbed vs. natural environments. American Journal of Botany 66: 6–13. , , ,
- 1986. Advantages and disdvantages of nitrogen-15 isotope dilution to quantify dinitrogen fixation in field-grown legumes – A critique. In: Field Measurement of Dinitrogen Fixation and Denitrification. Soil Science Society of America Special Publication. No. 18. Madison , Wisconsin : American Society of Agronomy & Soil Science Society of America, 43–58. .
- 1980. Nutrient translocation in vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizae. In: CookCB, PappasPW, RudolphED, eds. Cellular Interactions in Symbiosis and Parasitism. Columbus , Ohio : The Ohio State University Press, 173–195. , .
- 1975. Endomycorrhizas. London : Academic Press. , , .
- 1992. Estimating N2 fixation by field-grown lupins (Lupinus angusti-folius L.) using soil and plant 15N enrichment. Biology and Fertility of Soils 13: 235–241. , , ,
- 1994. Improved nitrogen uptake and transport from 15N-labelled nitrate by external hyphae of arbuscular mycorrhiza under water-stressed conditions. New Phytologist 126: 119–122. , , .
- 1992. Contribution of nitrogen fixation to sugar cane: Nitrogen-15 and nitrogen balance estimates. Soil Science Society of America Journal 56: 105–114. , , .
- 1985. Enhanced N-transfer from soybean to maize by vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal (VAM) fungi. Plant Physiology 79: 562–563. , , .
- 1983. Estimating N2 fixation in the field using 15N labelled fertilizer: some problems and solutions. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 15: 631–639. .
- 1982. Inorganic forms of nitrogen in soil. In: StevensonFJ, ed. Nitrogen in Agricultural Soils. Madison , WI , USA : American Society of Agronomy & Soil Science Society of America, 43–66. , .