The effect of long-term ozone fumigation on the growth, physiology and frost sensitivity of Calluna vulgaris
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 133, Issue 3, pages 503–511, July 1996
How to Cite
FOOT, J. P., CAPORN, S. J. M., LEE, J. A. and ASHENDEN, T. W. (1996), The effect of long-term ozone fumigation on the growth, physiology and frost sensitivity of Calluna vulgaris. New Phytologist, 133: 503–511. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1996.tb01918.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 18 September 1995; accepted 8 February 1996)
- 1992. Impact of acidic deposition on high elevation fir forests. Forestry Ecology & Management 51: 195–205. ,
- 1992. An inexpensive system for exposing plants in the field to elevated carbon dioxide concentrations. Plant, Cell and Environment 15: 365–372. , , .
- 1992. The influence of ozone on the winter hardiness of Norway Spruce (Picea abies) (1) Karst. New Phytologist 108: 159–66. , .
- 1988. Interaction between ozone and winter stress. Environmental Pollution 53: 235–254. , , , .
- 1987. Interaction between ozone and cold sensitivity in Norway Spruce. A factor contributing to the forest decline in central Europe. New Phytologist 105: 149–155. , , .
- 1991. Low temperature-enhanced inhibition of photosynthesis by oxides of nitrogen in lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.). New Phytologist 118: 309–313. , , .
- 1994. Effect of nitrogen supply on frost hardiness in Calluna vulgaris (L.) Hull. New Phytologist 128: 461–468. , , .
- 1987. The impact of ozone on assimilate partitioning in plants: a review. Environmental Pollution 47: 95–113. , .
- 1989. Decline of activity and quantity of Ribulose Bisphosphate Carboxylase Oxygenase and net photosynthesis in ozone treated potato foliage. Plant Physiology 91: 427–432. , .
- 1988. Factors influencing the ground level distribution of ozone in Europe. Environmental Pollution 55: 191–219. , .
- 1991. Photosynthetic and stomatal conductance responses of Norway Spruce and Beech to ozone, acid mist and frost. A conceptual model. Environmental Pollution 72: 23–44. ,
- 1994. Growth and physiology of Northern Red Oak–Preliminary comparisons of mature and seedling responses to ozone. Environmental Pollution 83: 215–221. , , .
- 1973. Ozone induced membrane permeability changes. American Journal Botany 60: 155–162. , .
- 1983. Veranderungen im Gaswechsel, chlorophyllgehalt und Zuwachs von Nicotiana tabacum L. und Phaseolus vulgaris L. durch ozone und deren beziechung zur ausbildung. Blattnekrosen. Agnewende. Botanik 57: 181–191.
- 1993. Physiological effects of ozone on cultivars of watermelon (Citrullus lanatus) and muskmelon (Cucumis melo) widely grown in Spain. Environmental Pollution 81: 199–206. , , , .
- 1982. Ozone and sulfur dioxide effects on tall fescue. I. Growth and yield responses. Journal of Environmental Quality 11: 386–389. , .
- 1985. Formation of secondary air pollutants and their occurrence in Europe. Experimentia 41: 286–300.
- 1978. A seedling test for cold hardiness in Lolium perenne L. Journal of Agricultural Science 91: 217–222. , .
- 1970 Photo oxidants. Effect on starch hydrolysis in leaves. Science 168: 1223–1224. , .
- 1980. Initial events in injury to plants by air pollutants. Annual Reviews in Plant Physiology 31: 395–431. .
- 1983. A reassessment of crop loss from ozone. Environmental Science & Technology 17: 572–581. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Basic growth analysis. London : Unwin Hyman Ltd.
- 1974. A method of estimating the cold hardiness of cereals by measuring electrical conductance after freezing. Journal Agricultural Science 83: 87–92. , .
- 1967. Anthocyanin formation as a response to ozone and smog treatment in Rumex crispus L. Plant Physiology 42: 1023–1024. , .
- 1989. The greenhouse effect: impacts of ultraviolet B(UV-B) radiation, carbon dioxide (CO2) and ozone (O3) on vegetation. Environmental Pollution 61: 263–393. , .
- 1991. Ozone and the clean troposphere: ecological implications. Environmental Pollution 70: 157–175. , , , .
- 1977. Effects of acute ozone exposure on growth and nitrogen content of Landino clover. Environmental Pollution 14: 303–312. ,
- 1983. Determination of total caroteniods and chlorophylls a and b of leaf extracts in different solvents. Biochemical Society Transactions 11: 591–592. , .
- 1988. Growth responses and delayed winter hardening in Sitka spruce following a summer exposure to ozone. New Phytologist 108: 495–504. , , , .
- 1988. Establishing the critical physiological effects of air pollutants on plants. Aspects of Applied Ecology 17: 1–7. .
- 1983. Effects of SO2 and O3on allocation of C-14 labelled photosynthate in Phaseolus vulgaris. Plant Physiology 73: 630–635. , .
- 1982. Effects of chronic air pollution stress on photosynthesis, carbon allocation and growth of white pine trees. Forestry Science 28: 60–70. , , , .
- 1989. Quantification of frost damage in plant tissues by rates of electrolyte leakage. New Phytologist 113: 307–311. , ,
- 1993. Effects of ozone on the photosynthetic apparatus and leaf proteins during leaf development in wheat. Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 643–651. , , .
- 1980. The comparative effects of sulfur dioxide on photosynthesis and translocation in bean. Physiological Plant Pathology 16: 73–79. .
- 1984. Alteration of C-13 assimilate partitioning of Phaseolus vulgaris exposed to ozone. New Phytologist 97: 155–163. , , , ,
- 1974. Ozone affects plant cell permeability. American Journal of Botany 61: 787–793. , .
- 1993. The effects of enhanced ozone and enhanced carbon dioxide concentrations on biomass, pigments, and antioxidative enzymes in spruce needles (Picea abies L.). Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 311–316. , , ,
- Photochemical Oxidants Review Group. 1993. Ozone in the U.K 1993. London: Department of Environment, Air Quality Division.
- 1983. Effects of low concentrations of ozone on net photosynthesis, dark respiration, and chlorophyll content in ageing hybrid poplar leaves. Plant Physiology 73: 291–296. , .
- 1985. Ambient levels of ozone reduce net photosynthesis in tree and crop species. Science 230: 566–570. , .
- 1992a. The response of native herbaceous species to ozone: growth and fluorescence screening. New Phytologist 120: 29–37. , .
- 1992b. Effects of a short ozone exposure given at different stages in the development of Plantago major L. New Phytologist 121: 643–647. , .
- 1994. Effect of exposure to ozone at different stages in the development of Plantago major L. on chlorophyll fluorescence & gas exchange. New Phytologist 128: 509–514. , .
- 1982. Time behaviour of CO2 and O3 in the lower troposphere based on recordings from neighbouring mountain stations between 0·7 & 3·0 Km ASL., including effects of meteorological parameters. Archives for Meteorology Geophysics & Bioclimatology. Series B 30: 190–225. , .
- 1984. The effects of ozone on crops and forests. Ambio 13: 68–72. ,
- 1981. Biometry. New York : Freeman. , .
- TaylorHJ, AshmoreMR, BellJNB (eds). 1982. Air pollution injury to vegetation : a guidance manual. London : H.M.I.A.P. & H.S.E.
- 1982. Sulfur dioxide inhibition of translocation in bean plants. Plant Physiology 69: 88–92. , .
- 1984. Air pollution and plant life. The biochemical is physiological impact of major pollutants. New York : John Wiley & Sons.
- UN-ECE 1994. Workshop report 16, ECE Critical Levels Workshop ( Ed. by ) March 1988. Bad Harzburg, Federal Republic of Germany.
- 1988. Evaluation of the Montsouris series of ozone measurements made in the nineteenth century. Nature 332: 240–242. ,
- 1994. Air pollution and climate change. The biological impact. 2nd edition; Harlow , UK : Longman Scientific & Technical. .
- WHO 1995. Report on the WHO working group on ecotoxic effects. Revised Air quality guidelines for Europe. 21–23 Sept 1994, Les Diablcrcts, Switzerland. Copenhagen: World Health Organization.
- 1991. Effects of summer ozone on membrane lipid composition during subsequent frost hardening in Norway spruce [Picea abies (1) Karst]. New Phytologist 118: 323–329. , .