Resource re-allocation following fruit removal in cucurbits: patterns in two varieties of squash
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 133, Issue 4, pages 583–593, August 1996
How to Cite
EL-KEBLAWY, A. and LOVETT-DOUST, J. (1996), Resource re-allocation following fruit removal in cucurbits: patterns in two varieties of squash. New Phytologist, 133: 583–593. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1996.tb01927.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 28 September 1995; accepted 23 January 1996)
- 1980 The biology of. Ambrosia trifida L. IV. Demography of plants and leaves. New Phytologist 84: 107–111. , .
- 1995 Leaf dynamics, self-shading and carbon gain in seedlings of a tropical pioneer tree. Oecologia 101: 289–298. , .
- 1967 Bases of yield component compensation in crop plants with special references to the field bean. Phaseolus vulgaris. Crop Science 7: 505–510. .
- 1977 Demographic analysis of the growth of. Linum usitatissimum. New Phytologist 78: 193–208. , .
- 1968 The ecology of arctic and alpine plants. Biological Review 43: 481–529. , .
- 1982 The ecology of leaf life spans. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 13: 229–259. , .
- 1984 On the ordered development of plants. 1. An hypothesis. Annals of Botany 53: 699–707. .
- 1980 Reproductive and vegetative performance in two winter annual grasses. Catapodium rigium L. C. E. Hubbard and. C. marinum L. C. E. Hubbard. 2. Leaf-demography and its relationship to the production of caryopses. New Phytologist 84: 79–93. .
- 1992 Leaf demography of a neotropical rain forest cycad. Zamia skinneri (Zamiaceae) American Journal of Botany 79: 28–33. , , .
- 1988 Sex expression of. Gurania and. Psiguria (Cucurbitaceae): neotropical vines that change sex. American Journal of Botany 75: 875–884. , .
- 1992 Architecture and gender allocation: floral sex expression along the branches of the monoecious cucurbit. Apodanthera undulata. International Journal of Plant Science 153: 108–116. .
- 1995 Estimating the costs of allocation to male and female functions in a monoecious cucurbit. Lagenaria sicerana. Oecologia 102: 9–16. , .
- 1995 Shoot demographic responses to manipulation of reproductive effort by bud removal in a willow. Oikos 72: 283–287. .
- 1977 Pollination mechanisms, reproduction and plant breeding. Berlin : Springer-Verlag. ,
- 1981 Influence of environment on the floral sex ratio in monoecious plants. Evolution 35: 194–197. , , , .
- 1988 Optimal reproductive strategy of plants, with special reference to the modes of reproductive resource allocation. Plant Species Biology 3: 43–59. , ,
- 1980 Plant demography and ecological theory. Oikos 35: 244–257. .
- 1989 Sex ratio, seed production, biomass allocation, and the cost of male function in. Cucurbit a foetidissima. Evolution 43: 1424–1434. .
- 1967 Femaleness in breeding glasshouse cucumber. Euphytica 16: 1–17.
- 1980 Sexual strategies in plants. I. An hypothesis of serial adjustment of maternal investment during one reproductive season. New Phytologist 86: 69–79. .
- 1980 Sexual strategies in plants. II. Data on temporal determination of maternal investment. New Phytologist 86: 81–92. , , .
- 1989 Plant reproductive strategies and resource allocation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 4: 230–234.
- 1992 The influence of plant density on flower, fruit and leaf demography in bush bean. Phaseolus vulgaris. Canadian Journal of Botany 70: 958–964.
- 1982 Demographic aspects of flower and fruit production in bean plants. Phaseolus vulgaris L. American Journal of Botany 69: 1156–1164. , .
- 1983 Sequential yield component analysis and models of growth in bush bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). American Journal of Botany 70: 1063–1070. , , .
- 1981 Population dynamics and local specialization in a clonal perennial. (Ranunculus repens). II. The dynamics of leaves, and a reciprocal transplant-replant experiment. Journal of Ecology 69: 757–768.
- 1974 Evolutionary ecology. New York : Harper and Row. .
- 1939 Inheritance of new sex forms in. Cucumis melo L. Journal of Heredity 30: 21–25. , .
- 1942 The reproductive capacity of plants. London : Bell. .
- 1978 Evolution of reproductive characteristics in. Impatiens (Balsaminaceae): the significance of cleistogamy and chasmogamy. Ecology 59: 596–613. .
- 1987 The evolution of hemaphroditism: an experimental test of the resource model. Oecologia 72: 157–159.
- 1992 The regulation of maternal investment in plants. In: MarshallC, GraceJ, eds.. Fruit and Seed Production. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. .
- 1988 The effect of seed number and prior fruit dominance on the pattern of fruit production in. Cucurbita pepo (Zucchini Squash). Annals of Botany 62: 653–661. , , .
- 1984 A comparative study of leaf demography in limestone grassland. Journal of Ecology 72: 331–345. .
- 1983a. Leaf and flower demography of. Trifolium repens L. I. Growth in mixture with grasses. New Phytologist 93: 599–616.
- 1983b. Leaf and flower demography of. Trifolium repens L. 2. Locally differentiated populations. New Phytologist 93: 617–631.
- 1968 The control and pattern of movement of carbohydrates in plants. Botanical Review 34: 79–105. .