Growth response of grasses to elevated CO2: a physiological plurispecific analysis
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 133, Issue 4, pages 595–603, August 1996
How to Cite
ROUMET, C., BEL, M. P., SONIE, L., JARDON, F. and ROY, J. (1996), Growth response of grasses to elevated CO2: a physiological plurispecific analysis. New Phytologist, 133: 595–603. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1996.tb01928.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 7 August 1995; accepted 5 February 1996)
- 1994 The interaction between CO2 and plant nutrition: comments on a paper of Coleman, McConnaughay and Bazzaz. Oecologia 98: 239–240. .
- 1994a. Effects of elevated carbon dioxide on three montane grass species. I. Growth and dry matter partitioning. Journal of Experimental Botany 45: 305–315. , , , .
- 1994b. Effects of elevated carbon dioxide on three montane grass species. II. Nutrient uptake, allocation and efficiency of use. Journal of Experimental Botany 45: 1267–1278. , , , .
- 1959 A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification. Canadian Journal of Biochemistry and Physiology 37: 911–917. , .
- 1993 Growth responses of two contrasting upland grass species to elevated CO2 and nitrogen concentration. New Phytologist 124: 515–522. , .
- 1993 Variation in the response of pasture plants to carbon dioxide. Proceedings of the XVII International Grassland Congress 1125–1126. , , .
- 1992 Control of biomass partitioning between roots and shoots: atmospheric CO2 enrichment and the acquisition and allocation of carbon and nitrogen in wild radish. Oecologia 89: 580–587. , , .
- 1992 Effects of CO2 and temperature on growth and resource use of co-occurring C3 and C4 annuals. Ecology 73: 1244–1259. , .
- 1993 Elevated CO2 and plant nitrogen-use: is reduced tissue nitrogen concentration size-dependent. Oecologia 93: 195–200. , , .
- 1992 Influence of elevated atmospheric CO2 concentrations on plant nutrition. Australian Journal of Botany 40: 445–456. .
- 1993 Nitrogen nutrition of C3 plants at elevated atmospheric CO2 concentrations. Physiologia Plantarum 89: 570–576. , .
- 1988 Nitrogen stress effects on growth and seed yield of non-nodulated soybean exposed to elevated carbon dioxide. Crop Science 28: 671–766. , , .
- 1969 Effect of root/leaf temperature differentials on root/shoot ratios in some pasture grasses and clover. Annals of Botany 33: 561–569. .
- 1994 Growth, biomass allocation and foliar nutrient contents of two. Eucalyptus species of the wet-dry tropics of Australia grown under CO2 enrichment. Functional Ecology 8: 502–508. , ,
- 1983 Nitrogen and photosynthesis in the flag leaf of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.);. Plant Physiology 14: 59–68. .
- 1992 An automated CO2 control system for plant growth chambers and its use to estimate net CO2 exchanges. Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research 51: 129–138. , ,
- 1951 The assimilation and degradation of carbohydrates by yeast cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry 193: 113–124. .
- 1986 The photosynthetic-nitrogen relationship in wild plants. In: GivnishTJ, ed.. On the Economy of Plant Form and Function. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 25–55. & .
- 1991 Resource capture, biomass allocation and growth in herbaceous plants. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 6: 126–131.
- 1994 Carbon and nitrogen content of congeneric annual and perennial grass species: relationships with growth. Plant Cell and Environment 17: 399–407. ,
- 1995 Nitrogen productivity depends on photosynthetic nitrogen use efficiency and on nitrogen allocation within the plant. Annals of Botany 76: 667–672. , ,
- 1974 A computer program for deriving growth-functions in plant growth-analysis. Journal of Applied Ecology 11: 297–307. , .
- 1991 Response to CO2 enrichment in 27 herbaceous species. Functional Ecology 5: 410–421. , , , .
- 1993 Further responses to CO2 enrichment in British herbaceous species. Functional Ecology 7: 661–668. , , , .
- 1995 Temporal and nutritional influences on the response to elevated CO2 in selected British grasses. Annals of Botany 75: 207–216. , , , .
- 1994 Plant responses to atmospheric CO2 enrichment in the face of environmental constraints: a review of the past 10 years' research. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 69: 153–203. , .
- 1979 Nitrogen stress in birch seedlings. II. N, K, P, Ca and Mg nutrition. Physiologia Plantarum 7: 149–157.
- 1983 Carbon dioxide and agricultural yield: an assemblage and analysis of 430 prior observations. Agronomy Journal 75: 779–788. .
- 1987 A system for controlling the root and shoot environment for plant growth studies. Environmental and Experimental Botany 27: 365–377. , , , .
- 1994 Long term effects of naturally elevated CO2 on Mediterranean grassland and forest trees. Oecologia 99: 343–351. ,
- 1994 Predicting responses of photosynthesis and root fraction to elevated [CO2]3: interactions among carbon, nitrogen, and growth. Plant Cell and Environment 17: 1195–1204. , , .
- 1985 Plant growth and water use with limited water supply in high CO2 concentrations. II. Plant dry weight, partitioning and water use efficiency. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 11: 375–384. , .
- 1990 Sensing of atmospheric CO2 by plants. Plant Cell and Environment 13: 731–737. .
- 1980 Potential effect of global atmospheric CO2 enrichment on the growth and competitiveness of C3 and C4 weed and crop plants. Weed Science 28: 71–75. , .
- 1993 Response of small birch plants (Betula pendula Roth.) to elevated CO2 and nitrogen supply. Plant Cell and Environment 16: 1115–1121. , ,
- 1993 Interspecific variation in the growth response of plants to an elevated ambient CO2 concentration. Vegetatio 104/105: 77–97.
- 1996 Interspecific variation in the growth response of plants to elevated CO2: a search for functional types. In: KörnerC, BazzazF, eds.. Biodiversity in a CO2 -rich World. New York : Academic Press, (in press). , , .
- 1989 Acclimation of photosynthesis to elevated CO2 in five CO3 species. Plant Physiology 89: 590–596. , , .
- 1993 Root growth and functioning under atmospheric CO2 enrichment. Vegetatio 104/105: 99–115. ,
- 1994 An integrated approach to the influence of CO2 on plant growth using data for three herbaceous species. In: RoyJ, GamierE, eds.. A Whole Plant Perspective on Carbon-Nitrogen Interactions. The Hague : SPB Academic Publishing, 229–245. , , ,
- 1994 Regulation of nitrate uptake at the whole plant level. In: RoyJ, GamierE, eds. A Whole Plant Perspective on Carbon–Nitrogen Interactions. The Hague : SPB Academic Publishing, 11–30. , ,
- 1992 The grass genera of the world. Wallingford , U.K . CAB International. , .
- 1979 Elevated atmospheric partial pressure of CO2 and plant growth. I. Interactions of nitrogen nutrition and photosynthetic capacity in C3 and C4 plants. Oecologia 44: 68–74. .
- 1990 Elevated atmospheric partial pressure of CO2 and plant growth. II. Non-structural carbohydrate content in cotton plants and its effect on growth parameters. Photo-synthetical Research 23: 171–180. .
- 1992 CO2× Nitrogen interaction on seedling growth of four species of eucalypt. Australian Journal of Botany 40: 457–472. , , .
- 1987 Effect of atmospheric CO2 concentration and root-zone temperature on growth, mineral nutrition, and nitrate reductase activity of greenhouse tomato. Journal of American Society of Horticulture Science 112: 1036–1040. , , .