The effect of elevated CO2 and grazing by Gastrophysa viridula on the physiology and regrowth of Rumex obtusifolius
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 133, Issue 4, pages 605–616, August 1996
How to Cite
PEARSON, M. and BROOKS, G. L. (1996), The effect of elevated CO2 and grazing by Gastrophysa viridula on the physiology and regrowth of Rumex obtusifolius. New Phytologist, 133: 605–616. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1996.tb01929.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 21 December 1995; accepted 27 March 1996)
- 1991 Respiration in a future, higher-CO2 world. Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 13–20. .
- 1992 CO2 inhibits respiration in leaves of. Rumex crispus L. Plant Physiology 98: 757–760. , , .
- 1991 Effects of source-sink relations on photosynthetic acclimation to elevated CO2. Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 869–875. .
- 1982 Effects of defoliation in the developing leaf zone on young. Populus × euramericana plants. 1. Photosynthetic physiology, growth, and dry weight partitioning. Forest Science 28: 599–612. , .
- 1986 Does herbivory benefit plants? A review of the evidence. American Naturalist 127: 870–892. .
- 1979 Effects of grazing by a chrysomelid beetle. Gastrophysa viridula on competition between. Rumex obtusifolius and Rumex crispus. Journal of Ecology 67: 79–90. , .
- 1990 The Greenhouse Effect: acclimation of tomato plants in high CO2, relative changes in Calvin Cycle enzymes. Journal of Plant Physiology 136: 458–463. .
- 1990 The Greenhouse Effect: Acclimation of tomato plants growing in high CO2, photosynthesis and ribulose-1, 5-bisphosphate carboxylase protein. Journal of Experimental Botany 41: 925–931. , , .
- 1990 Short- and long-term inhibition of respiratory carbon dioxide efflux by elevated carbon dioxide. Annals of Botany 65: 637–642. .
- 1991 Reduced respiratory carbon dioxide efflux during growth at elevated carbon dioxide in three herbaceous perennial species. Annals of Botany 67: 325–30. ,
- 1981 Coping with herbivory: photosynthetic capacity and resource allocation in two semiarid. Agropyram bunchgrasses. Oecologia 50: 14–24. , , , , .
- 1986 The effects of chrysomelid beetle grazing and plant competition on the growth of. Rumex obtusifolius. Oecologia 70: 452–456. , , .
- 1983 Herbivory. The dynamics of animal-plant interactions. Berkeley , CA : University of California. .
- 1986 Crop responses to carbon dioxide doubling : a literature survey. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 38: 127–145. ,
- 1982 Modelling of photosynthetic response to environmental conditions. In: LangeOL, NobelPS, OsmondCB, ZieglerH, eds.. Physiological Plant Ecology 11: Water Relations and Carbon Assimilation. Berlin : Springer-Verlag, 549–587. ,
- 1991 The effects of increased atmospheric carbon dioxide and temperature on carbon partitioning, source-sink relations and respiration. Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 819–830. , .
- 1989 The biology and non-chemical control of dock species. Rumex obtusifolius and R. crispus. Biological Agriculture and Horticulture 6: 11–25.
- 1981 Effect of defoliating pests on soybean canopy CO2 exchange and reproductive growth. Crop Science 21: 961–968. , , , , .
- 1990 Effects of an established sward of. Lolium perenne L. on the growth and development of. Rumex obtusifolius L. seedlings. Grass and Forage Science 45: 1–7. ,
- 1983 Carbon dioxide and agricultural yield: an assemblage and analysis of 430 prior observations. Agronomy Journal 75: 779–788. .
- 1977 Kinetics of photosynthesis and photorespiration in C3 -plants. Moscow : Nauka. .
- 1993 The influence of plant carbon dioxide and nutrient supply on susceptibility to insect herbivores. Vegetatio 104/105: 273–280. .
- 1991 Modification of the response of photosynthetic productivity to rising temperature by atmospheric CO2 concentrations: has its importance been underestimated. Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 729–739. .
- 1993 Analysing the response of photosynthetic CO2 assimilation to long-term elevation of atmospheric CO2 concentration. Vegetatio 104/105: 33–45. , , .
- 1993 Mathematical models of the photosynthetic response of tree stands to rising CO2 concentrations and temperature. Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 1–13. ,
- 1993 A comparison of the impacts of leaf feeding and sap feeding insects on growth and allocation of goldenrod. Ecology 74: 1101–1116. .
- 1985 Sensitivity of stomata and water use efficiency to high CO2. Plant, Cell and Environment 8: 467–474. .
- 1991 Direct effects of increasing carbon dioxide on pasture plants and communities. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 34: 1–24. .
- 1993 Effects of nitrogen fertilization and cutting frequency on the competitive ability and the regrowth capacity of. Rumex obtusifolius L. in several grass swards. Weed Research 33: 131–137. , ,
- 1992 Effect of defoliation on aboveground and belowground relative growth rates. Oecologia 92: 313–316.
- 1995 The influence of elevated CO2 on growth and age-related changes in leaf gas exchange. Journal of Experimental Botany 46: 1651–1659. , .
- 1984 CO2 enrichment of soybeans. Effects of leaf/pod ratio. Physiologia Plantarum 60: 38–42. .
- 1992 Effect of elevated CO, on the photosynthesis, respiration and growth of perennial ryegrass. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 811–818. , ,
- 1989 Acclimation of photosynthesis to elevated CO2 in five C3 species. Plant Physiology 89: 590–596. , , .
- 1995 Elevated CO2 affects leaf miner performance and plant growth in docks (Rumex spp.). Global Change Biology 1: 153–156. , , .
- 1988 Clonal integration and effects of simulated herbivory in old-field perennials. Oecologia 75: 465–471. , , , .
- 1977 The dynamics of the animal community associated with broad-leaved dock (Rumex obtusifohus. L.). Ph.D. thesis, University of Lancaster, UK . .
- 1987 Interactions between the chrysomelid beetle. Gastrophysa viridula, the weed. Rumex obtusifolius and the herbicide asulam. Journal of Applied Ecology 24: 119–129. , .
- 1991 Rising CO2 levels and their potential significance for carbon flow in photosynthetic cells. Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 741–762.
- 1994 Direct and indirect effects of atmospheric carbon dioxide enrichment on leaf respiration of. Glycine max (L.) Merr. Plant Physiology 104: 355–361. , .
- 1993 Effects of elevated carbon dioxide and drought on the growth and physiology of clonal Sitka spruce plants (Picea sitchensis (Bong.) Carr.). Tree Physiology 13: 389–399.
- 1993 Plant compensation for arthropod herbivory. Annual Review of Entomology 38: 93–119. , , .
- 1994 Comparison of methods to estimate dark respiration in the light in leaves of two woody species. Plant Physiology 105: 167–172. , ,
- 1984 Effects of partial defoliation, changes in irradiance during growth, short-term water stress and growth at enhanced p(CO2) on the photo-synthetic capacity of leaves of. Phaseolus vulgaris L. Planta 160: 320–329. , .
- 1995 The impact of elevated atmospheric CO2 on insect herbivores. In: HarringtonR, StorkNE, eds.. Insects in a changing environment. 17th Symposium of the Royal Entomological Society. London : Academic Press, 197–217. , , , , , .
- 1979 Dynamics of seed populations of. Rumex crispus and. Rumex obtusifolius (Polygonaceae) in disturbed and undisturbed soil. Journal of Applied Ecology 16: 909–917. , .
- 1989 Arthropod impact on plant gas exchange. In: BernaysEA, eds.. Insect Plant Interactions. Boston : CRC Press, 135–150. .
- 1994 Optimal acclimation of the C3 photosynthetic system under enhanced CO2. Photosynthesis Research 39: 401–412. .