Effects of elevated CO2 on stem growth, vessel area and hydraulic conductivity of oak and cherry seedlings
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 133, Issue 4, pages 617–626, August 1996
How to Cite
ATKINSON, C. J. and TAYLOR, J. M. (1996), Effects of elevated CO2 on stem growth, vessel area and hydraulic conductivity of oak and cherry seedlings. New Phytologist, 133: 617–626. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1996.tb01930.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 6 December 1995; accepted 1 March 1996)
- 1996 Global changes in atmospheric carbon dioxide: The influence on terrestrial vegetation. In: IqbalM YunusM, eds.. Plant Response to Air Pollution. Sussex : John Wiley and Sons Ltd, 99–133. .
- 1988 Comparative wood anatomy. Berlin . Springer-Verlag.
- 1994 Effects of elevated atmospheric CO., on woody plants. New Phytologist 127: 425–446. ,
- 1990 Growth, dry weight partitioning and wood properties of. Pinus radiata D. Don after 2 years of CO2 enrichment. Plant, Cell and Environment 13: 329–337. , , , .
- 1968 Effects of growth regulating substances and water potential on the development of secondary xylem in Fraxinus. New Phytologist 67: 579–594. ,
- 1989 The direct effects of an increase in the global atmospheric CO2 concentration on natural and commercial temperate trees and forests. Advances in Ecological Research 19: 1–55. , .
- 1985 Automatic measurement of vessel lumen area and diameter with particular reference to pedunculate oak and common beech. IAWA Bulletin 6: 221–237.
- 1972 The influence of a mature leaf on xylem differentiation. New Phytologist 71: 903–914. ,
- 1970 The structure of wood. London : Adam & Charles Black. .
- 1995 Climate influences the leaf area/sapwood ratio in Scots pine. Tree Physiology 15: 1–10. ,
- 1993 The allometry of plant reproductive biomass and stem diameter. American Journal of Botany 80: 461–467. .
- 1983 Transpiration stream of desert species: resistances and capacitancies for a C3, a C4 and a CAM plant. Journal of Experimental Botany 34: 1379–1391. , .
- 1987 The measurement of leaf area in apple trees. Journal of Horticultural Science 62: 5–10. .
- 1986 Xylem cavitation in nodes and internodes of whole. Chorisia insignis H.B. et K. plants subjected to water stress: relations between xylem conduit size and cavitation. Annals of Botany 58: 431–441. , .
- 1988 Auxin and ethylene regulation of diameter growth in trees. Tree Physiology 4: 401–414. .
- 1990 A possible indicator of shake in Oak: relationship between flushing dates and vessel size. Forestry 63: 355–362. , .
- 1979 The control of vascular development. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 30: 313–7. .
- 1964 A quantitative analysis of plant form – the pipe model theory. 1. Basic analysis. Japanese Journal of Ecology 14: 97–105. , , ,
- 1988 A method for measuring hydraulic conductivity and embolism in xylem. Plant, Cell and Environment 11: 35–40. , , .
- 1992 Xylem embolism in response to freeze–thaw cycles and water stress in ring-porous, diffuse-porous and conifer species. Plant Physiology 100: 605–613. , .
- 1991 The hydraulic architecture of trees and other woody plants. New Phytologist 119: 345–0. , .
- 1989 Vulnerability of xylem to cavitation and embolism. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 40: 19–38. , .
- 1993 Hydraulic resistance in. Acer saccharum shoots and its influence on leaf water potential. Tree Physiology 12: 231–242. , .
- 1983 The relationship between stomatal conductance, transpiration rate and tracheid structure in. Pinus radiata clones grown at different water vapour saturation deficits. Plant, Cell and Environment 6: 703–710. , , .
- 1987 Stomatal numbers are sensitive to increases in CO2 from pre-industrial levels. Nature 327, 616–618. .
- 1983 Hydraulic architecture of some diffuse porous trees. Canada Journal of Botany 56: 2286–2295. .
- 1989 Wood variation, its causes and control, Berlin : Springer-Verlag. , .