Microcystin-LR inhibits photosynthesis of Phaseolus vulgaris primary leaves: implications for current spray irrigation practice
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 133, Issue 4, pages 651–658, August 1996
How to Cite
ABE, T., LAWSON, T., WEYERS, J. D. B. and CODD, G. A. (1996), Microcystin-LR inhibits photosynthesis of Phaseolus vulgaris primary leaves: implications for current spray irrigation practice. New Phytologist, 133: 651–658. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1996.tb01934.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 7 December 1995; accepted 8 February 1996)
- 1992 How does protein phosphorylation regulate photosynthesis. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 17: 12–17. .
- 1995 Regulation by redox signalling. Current Biology 5: 869–872. , ,
- 1994 Eutrophication. In: MaitlandPS, BoonPJ & McLuskyDS, eds.. The Fresh Waters of Scotland. Chichester : John Wiley & Sons, 385–411. .
- 1994 Cyanobacterial toxins and human health. Reviews in Medical Microbiology 5: 256–264. , .
- 1988 Regulation of enzyme activity in plants by reversible phosphorylation. Physiologia Plantarum 72:435–439. ,
- 1992 Cyanobacterial secondary metabolites – the cyanotoxins. Journal of Applied Bacteriology 72: 445–459. .
- 1993 Diseases related to freshwater blue-green algal toxins, and control measures. In: FalconerIR, ed.. Algal Toxins in Seafood and Drinking Water. London : Academic Press, 187–209. , .
- 1994 Blue-green algal toxins: water-borne hazards to health. In: GoldingAMB, NoahN, Stanwell-SmithR, eds.. Water and Public Health. London : Smith Gordon, 271–278. .
- 1995 Toxins from cyanobacteria (blue-green algae). The Pringsheim Lecture. In: WiessnerW, SchnepfE, StarrRC, eds. Algae, Environment and Human Affairs. Bristol : Biopress, 1–17. , , , , , .
- 1988 Cyanobacterial toxins. In: GallonJG, RogersLJ eds. Biochemistry of the Algae and Cyanobacteria. Oxford : Clarendon Press, 283–296. , .
- 1989 The structure and regulation of protein phosphatases. Annual Review of Biochemistry 58: 453–508.
- 1991 Tumour promotion and liver injury caused by oral consumption of cyanobacteria. Environmental Toxicology and Water Quality 6: 177–184. .
- 1980 A biochemical model of photosynthetic CO2 assimilation in leaves of C3 species. Planta 149: 78–90. , , .
- 1995 Assessing modulation of stromal and thylakoid light-harvesting complex II phosphatase activities with phosphopeptide substrates. Photosynthesis Research 44: 107–115. , , ,
- 1991 An improved model of C3photosynthesis at high CO2: Reversed O2 sensitivity explained by lack of glycerate re-entry into the chloroplast. Photosynthesis Research 27: 169–178. , .
- 1992 Modelling photosynthesis of cotton grown in elevated CO2. Plant, Cell and Environment 15: 271–281. , , , .
- 1992 Eutrophication of freshwaters: principles, problems and restoration. London : Chapman and Hall. .
- 1990 Characterization of microcystin-LR, a potent inhibitor of type 1 and type 2A protein phosphatases. Journal of Biological Chemistry 265: 19401–19404. , , , , , , .
- 1994 Control of plant enzyme activity by reversible protein phosphorylation. International Review of Cytology 149: 47–98. , , .
- 1995 Simple and efficient method for isolation and measurement of cyanobactenal hepatotoxins by plant tests. (Sinapis alba L.). Analytical Biochemistry 225: 49–53. , , ,
- 1994 Extraction and high-performance liquid chromatographic method for the determination of microcystins in raw and treated waters. The Analyst 119: 1525–1530. , , .
- 1993 Measurement of CO2 assimilation by plants in the field and the laboratory. In: HallDO, ScurlockJMO, Bolhàr-NordenkampfHR, LeegoodRC, LongSP, eds. Photosynthesis and Production in a Changing Environment. London : Chapman and Hall, 129–167. ,
- 1994 Protein phosphatase inhibitors enhance the expression of an α-amylase gene, and. Amy 3, in cultured rice cells. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 205: 807–816. ,
- 1990 Cyanobacterial microcystin-LR is a potent and specific inhibitor of protein phosphatases 1 and 2A from both mammals and higher plants. FEBS Letters 264: 187–192. , , , , .
- 1990 Some current aspects of stomatal physiology. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 41, 55–75. , , .
- 1990 In vitro and. in vivo effects of protein phosphatase inhibitors, microcystins and nodulann, on mouse skin and fibroblasts. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 171: 867–874. , , , , , ,
- 1995 Seven more microcystins from Homer Lake cells: application of the general method for structure assignment of peptides containing α, β-dehydroamino acid unit(s). Journal of Organic Chemistry 60: 3671–3679. , , , , , , .
- National Rivers Authority, 1990 Toxic blue-green algae. Water Quality Series No. 2. London : National Rivers Authority.
- 1994 Macrophytes. In: MaitlandPS, BoonPJ, McLuskyDS, eds. The Fresh Waters of Scotland. Chichester : John Wiley & Sons, 147–169. , , ,
- 1994 Structure and biosynthesis of toxins from blue-green algae (cyanobacteria). Journal of Applied Phycology 6: 159–176. , , .
- 1985 Photosynthesis in intact leaves of C3 plants: physics, physiology and rate limitations. The Botanical Review 51: 53–105. .
- 1990 Sucrose-phosphate synthase is dephosphorylated by protein phosphatase 2A in spinach leaves. FEBS Letters 270: 198–202. , ,
- 1984 Toxic blue-green algal blooms in Europe - a growing problem. Ambio 13: 244–247. , , ,
- 1994 Protein-phosphatase inhibitors block root hair growth and alter cortical cell shape of. Arabidopsis roots. Planta 194: 516–524. , , , .
- 1977 Studies on the subunit structure of ribulose 1,5-diphosphate carboxylase from the blue-green alga. Microcystis aeruginosa. Planta 136: 61–64. , , .
- 1994 Inhibitors of protein phosphatases 1 and 2A block the sugar-inducible gene expression in plants. Plant Physiology 106: 567–574. , , ,
- 1995 Protein serine/threonine phosphatases and growth control. Seminars in Cancer Biology 6: 193–256.
- 1993 Biochemical limitations to carbon assimilation in C3 plants - A retrospective analysis of the A/Ci curves from 109 species. Journal of Experimental Botany 44: 907–920. .