Physiological responses of Festuca arundinacea to fungal endophyte infection
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 133, Issue 4, pages 727–733, August 1996
How to Cite
MARKS, S. and CLAY, K. (1996), Physiological responses of Festuca arundinacea to fungal endophyte infection. New Phytologist, 133: 727–733. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1996.tb01941.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 6 September 1994; accepted 28 September 1995)
- 1981 Influence of phosphate source on vesicular arbuscular mycorrhizae of Bouteloua gracilis. New Phytologist 87: 687–694. , , ,
- 1990 The mediation of competition by mycorrhizae in successional and patchy environments. In: GraceJ, TilmanD, eds.. Perspectives on Plant Competition. New York : Academic Press, 367–389. , .
- Analytical Development Co. Ltd. 1986 Instrumentation manual for the LCA-2 battery portable infrared carbon dioxide analyser. Hoddesdon , UK : Analytical Development Co., Ltd..
- 1993 Abiotic stress tolerances (moisture, nutrients) and photosynthesis in endophyte-infected tall fescue. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 44: 123–141. .
- 1988 Endophyte parasitism of tall fescue. Journal of Production Agriculture 1: 45–55. , .
- 1986 Utilization of mineral and ammo N sources by the ericoid mycorrhizal endophyte. Hymenoscyphus ericae and by mycorrhizal and non-mycorrhizal seedlings of Vaccinium. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 87: 269–277. , .
- 1987 Photosynthetic activity of tall fescue as influenced by a fungal endophyte. Photosynthetica 21: 82–87. , , , .
- 1989 Interactions between infection by endophytic fungi and nutrient limitation in the grasses. Lolium perenne and Festuca arundinacea. New Phytologist 111: 89–97. , ,
- 1987 Effects of fungal endophytes on the seed and seedling biology of. Lolium perenne and Festuca arundinacea. Oecologia 73: 358–362.
- 1988 Fungal endophytes of grasses: a defensive mutualism between plants and fungi. Ecology 69: 10–16.
- 1990 Fungal endophytes of grasses. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 21: 275–297.
- 1990 a. Rhizome and herbage production of endophyte-removed tall fescue clones and populations. Agronomy Journal 82: 651–654. , , , .
- 1990b. Indole acetic acid production by the fungal endophyte of tall fescue. Agronomy Journal 82: 878–880. , , , , .
- 1950 Balansia. and the Balansiae in America. Agricultural Monograph 4. U.S.D.A. Washington, DC. .
- 1993 Importance of. Acremonium endophytes in turf-grass breeding and management. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 44: 215–232. , , .
- 1987 Mechanisms of floristic diversity: evidence from microcosms. Nature 9129: 420–422. , , , .
- 1989 Toxic alkaloids associated with tall fescue toxicosis. In: CheekeP, ed.. Toxicants of Plant Origin, 1. Alkaloids. Boca Raton , FL : CRC Press, 281–290. , .
- 1991 Competitiveness of tall fescue as influenced by. Acremonium coenophialum. Crop Science 31: 185–190. , , .
- 1985 The distribution and ultra-structure of the endophyte of toxic tall fescue. Canadian Journal of Botany 63: 36–42. , .
- 1991 Manipulation of food resources by a gall-forming aphid: the physiology of sink-source interactions. Oecologia 88: 15–21. , .
- 1985 Endophytic fungi affect growth of perennial ryegrass. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 28: 165–168. , , .
- 1990 Effects of the fungal endophyte. Acremonium coenophialum on nitrogen accumulation and metabolism in tall fescue. Plant Physiology 92: 726–732. , , .
- 1990 Effects of CO2 enrichment, nutrient addition, and fungal endophyte-infection on the growth of two grasses. Oecologia 84: 207–214. ,
- 1991 Effects of fungal endophytes on interspecific and intraspecific competition in the grasses. Festuca arundinacea and Lolium perenne. Journal of Applied Ecology 28: 194–204. , , .
- 1983 Biophysical plant physiology and ecology. San Francisco : Freeman. .
- 1985 Reduced larva growth of two Lepidoptera (Noctuidae) on excised leaves of soybean infected with a mycorrhizal fungus. Journal of Economic Entomology 78: 1358–1363. , .
- 1990 Seed production in tall fescue as affected by fungal endophyte. Crop Science 30: 1303–1305. , , , .
- 1990 The effect of endophyte removal on gas exchange in tall fescue. In: QuisenberryS, JoostS. eds.. Proc. Int. Symp. Acremonium/Grass Interactions. Baton Rouge , LA : Louisiana Agric. Exp. Stn., 189–193. , , .
- SAS Institute, Inc. 1985 SAS user's guide: statistics, 5th edn. Cary , NC : SAS Institute, Inc..
- 1987 Incidence and distribution of the tall fescue endophyte in the United States. Plant Disease 71: 783–786. , .
- 1987 Fungal endophytes of grasses. Annual Review of Phytopathology 25: 293–315. , , .
- 1985 Reciprocal trans-location of carbohydrates between host and fungus in bahiagrass infected with. Myriogenospora atramentosa. Phytopathology 75: 407–411. , , .
- 1988 Fescue endophyte: history and impact on animal agriculture. Journal of Production Agriculture 1: 39–44. , .
- 1973 Uptake of sugars by. Epichloë typhina (Pers. ex. Fr.) Tul. in culture and from its host. Agrostis stolonifera L. New Phytology 72: 501–508. , .
- U.S. Bureau of the Census. 1992 Statistical Abstract of the United States 1992 (112th ed). Washington , D.C : U.S. Department of Commerce.
- 1985 Shoot: root interrelationships: the effects of obligately biotrophic fungal pathogens. Biological Reviews 60: 47–79. .
- 1989 Carbon partitioning patterns of mycorrhizal versus non-mycorrhizal plants: real-time dynamic measurements using 11CO2. New Phytologist 112: 489–493. , , , , , , .