Lux gene technology – a strategy to optimize biological control of soil-borne diseases
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 133, Issue 1, pages 173–181, May 1996
How to Cite
WHITE, D., LEIFERT, C., RYDER, M. H. and KILLHAM, K. (1996), Lux gene technology – a strategy to optimize biological control of soil-borne diseases. New Phytologist, 133: 173–181. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1996.tb04352.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 13 November 1995)
- 1994. Properties of low-light-level slow scan detectors. In Mason, WT, ed. Biological Techniques: Fluorescent and Luminescent Probes for Biological Activity. A Practical Guide to Technology for Quantitative Real-Time Analysis. London : Academic Press, 277–286. .
- 1993. Plasmid and chromosomally encoded luminescence marker systems for detection of Pseudomonas fluorescens in soil. Molecular Ecology 2: 47–54. , , , , .
- 1987. Evolving concepts of biological control of plant pathogens. Annual Review of Phytopathology 25: 67–85. .
- 1993a. Detection of genetically engineered bioluminescent pseudomonads in potato rhizosphere at different temperatures. Microbial Releases 1: 203–207. , , .
- 1993b. Lumino-metric analysis of plant root colonisation by luminescent pseudomonads. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 39: 434–441. , , .
- 1996. Effect of pathogen inoculum, antagonist density and plant species on biological control of Phytophthora and Pythium damping-off by Bacillis subtilis Cotl in high humidity fogging glasshouses. Phytopathology 86: (in press). , , , , .
- 1991. Relationship between root colonisation and suppression of Gaeumannomyces graminis var. tritici by Pseudomonas fluorescens strain 2–79. Phytopathology 81: 954–959. , , .
- 1990. Monitoring of naphthalene catabolism by bioluminescence with nah-lux transcriptional fusions. Journal of Bacteriology 172: 4749–4757. , , .
- 1990. Rhizosphere interactions and siderophores. Plant and Soil 129: 101–107. , .
- 1987. Use of bacterial luciferase to establish a promoter probe vehicle capable of nondestructive real-time analysis of gene expression in Bacillus sp. Journal of Bacteriology 169: 2165–2170. , , , .
- 1990. Mechanisms of biocontrol of soil-borne plant pathogens by Rhizobacteria. Plant and Soil 129: 85–92. , , , .
- 1994. Different expression of genes of Pseudomonas syringae on leaves and in culture evaluated with random genomic lux fusions. Molecular Ecology 3: 249–257. , .
- 1993. Construction and detection of bioluminescent strains of Bacillus subtilis. Journal of Applied Bacteriology 75: 350–359. , , , , , .
- 1994. Effect of a genetically modified Pseudomonas aureofaciens on indigenous microbial populations of wheat. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 13: 249–258. , , , .
- 1991. Use of bioluminescence markers to detect Pseudomonas spp. in the rhizosphere. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 57: 3641–3644. , , , , .
- 1986. The phytoalexin response: elicitation, signalling and the control of host gene expression. Biological Reviews 61: 239–291. .
- 1994. Luminescence-based detection of starved and non-culturable but viable bacteria. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 60: 1308–1316. , , , .
- 1987. Possible role of competition for nutrients in biocontrol of Pythium damping-off by bacteria. Phytopathology 77: 190–195. , .
- 1994a. Survival of lux-lac-marked biosurfact ant-producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa UG2L in soil monitored by non-selective plating and PCR. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 60: 1606–1613. , , , , .
- 1994b. Bioluminescent most-probable-number method to enumerate lux-marked Pseudomonas aeruginosa UG2Lr in soil. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 60: 3458–3461. , , .
- 1988. Role of antibiosis in the biocontrol of plant diseases. Annual Review of Phytopathology 26: 75–91. .
- 1990. In situ visualisation of the biocontrol rhizobacterium Enterobacter cloacae with bioluminescence. Plant and Soil 125: 233–238. , , .
- 1994. Global regulation of expression of antifungal factors by a Pseudomonas fluorescens biological control strain. Molecular and Plant Microbe Interactions 7: 455–463. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. In vivo transfer of pR68.45 from Pseudomonas aeruginosa into indigenous soil bacteria. Microbial Releases 1: 237–241. , , .
- 1991. Luminescence-based viable cell enumeration of Erwinia caroto-vora in the soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 23: 1021–1024. , , , .
- 1988. Promotor determining the timing and spatial localisation of transcription of a cloned Streptomyces coelicolor gene encoding a spore-associated polypeptide. Journal of Bacteriology 170: 1895–1901. , , , .
- 1994. Optical biosensor for environmental on-line monitoring of naphthalene and salicylate bioavailability with an immobilised bioluminescent catabolic reporter bacterium. Applied mid Environmental Microbiology 60: 1487–1497. , , , , , .
- 1994. Bioluminescence and spores ad biological indicators of inimical processes. Journal of Applied Bacteriology 76: 129S–134S. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Biological control. Managing Diseases in Greenhouse Crops ch. 9. St Paul , MN , USA : The American Phytopathological Society, 185–218. .
- 1992. New approaches in biological control of soil-borne diseases. IOBC/WPRS Bulletin 1. , , .
- 1993. Effect of substrate location in soil and soil pore-water regime on carbon turnover, Soil Biology and. Biochemistry 17: 543–557. , , .
- 1995. Isolation of lux reporter gene fusions in Pseudomonas fluorescens DF57 inducible by nitrogen or phosphorus starvation. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 17: 95–106. , , , .
- 1992. Lack of evidence for a role of antifungal metabolite production by Pseudomonas fluorescens Pf-5 in biological control of Pythium damping-off of cucumber. Phytopathology 82: 264–271. , .
- 1992. Expression of luciferase genes from different origins in Bacillus subtilis. Molecular and General Genetics 232: 498–504. , , , , .
- 1993. Biological control of post-harvest pests. International Patent Application WO93/18654. World Intellectual Property Organisation. , , .
- 1994. Antibiotic production and biocontrol activity by Bacillus subtilis CL27 and Bacillus pumilis CL45. Journal of Applied Bacteriology 78: 97–108. , , , , , , .
- 1986. Problems posed by the large scale application of microorganisms for biological control of soil-borne plant pathogens. Symbiosis 2: 287–301. , , , .
- 1986. Siderophores: their biochemistry and possible role in the biocontrol of plant pathogens. Annual Review of Phytopathology 24: 187–209. .
- 1994. Pyoluteorin production by Pseudomonas fluorescens strain CHA0 is involved in the suppression of Pythium damping-off of cress but not of cucumber. European Journal of Plant Pathology 100: 221–232. , , , .
- 1992. Luminescence-based detection of Erwinia carotovora associated with rotting potato tubers. Letters in Applied Microbiology 15: 121–124. , , , .
- 1991. Molecular biology of bacterial bioluminescence. Microbiological Reviews 55: 123–142. .
- 1992. Potential luminescence as an indicator of activation of genetically modified Pseudomonas fluorescens in liquid culture and in soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 26: 747–755. , , , .
- 1995. The effect of matric potential on survival and activity of a Pseudomonas fluorescens in soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 27: 881–892. , , , , .
- 1986. Attachment of Enterobacter cloacae to hyphae of Pythium ultimum: possible role in the biological control of Pythium preemergence damping-off. Phytopathology 76: 327–335. , , , , .
- 1988. Visualisation of bioluminescence as a marker of gene expression in Rhizobium-infected soybean root nodules, Plant Molecular Biology 10: 387–399. , , , , , .
- 1993. Leaching of genetically modified Pseudomonas fluorescens through intact soil microcosms: influence of soil type. Biology and Fertility of Soils 15: 308–314. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Lack of a role for fluorescent siderophore production in the biological control of Pythium damping-off of cucumber by a strain of Pseudomonas putida. Phytopathology 81: 930–935. , .
- 1993. Bioluminescence (lux) expression in the anaerobe Clostridium perfringens. FEMS Microbiology Letters 106: 265–270. .
- 1989. Influence of different initial soil moisture contents on the distribution and population dynamics of introduced Rhizobium leguminosarum biovar. trifolii. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 21: 437–442. , , .
- 1994. Molecular marker systems for detection of genetically engineered microorganisms in the environment. Microbiology 140: 5–17. .
- 1994. Spatial characterisation of luminescence-marked bacterial cells by CCD image enhanced microscopy. Binary 6: 49–54. , , , , .
- 1992a. Matric potential in relation to survival and activity of a genetically modified inoculum in soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 5: 421–425. , , , .
- 1992b. Construction of bioluminescent inocula to assess the impact of genetically modified biological agents in the rhizosphere. Journal of Science, Food and Agriculture 60: 393. , , , .
- 1993. The effect of soil bulk density and temperature on wheat rhizosphere colonisation by lux-marked Pseudomonas fluorescens. European Journal of Soil Biology 29: 73–82. , , , , .
- 1995. Characterisation of rhizosphere colonisation by luminescent Enterobacter cloacae at the population and single-cell level. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 61: 2950–2957. , , , .
- 1987. Survival strategies of bacteria in the natural environment. Microbiological Reviews 51: 365–379. , .
- 1994. Key issues in the deliberate release of genetically-manipulated bacteria. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 15: 139–146. .
- 1988. Visualising gene expression with luciferase fusions. Trends in Biotechnology 6: 23–27. .
- 1988. Visualising gene expression in time and space in the filamentous bacterium Streptomyces coelicolor. Science 240: 768–772. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Bioluminescence of the insect pathogen Xenorhabdus luminescens. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 55: 2607–2612. , , .
- 1993. Bioluminescent sensors for detection of bioavailable Hg(II) in the environment. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 59: 3083–3090. , , .
- 1986. Development of a Vibrio bioluminescence gene-set to monitor phytopathogenic bacteria during the ongoing disease process in a non-disruptive manner. Bio Technology 4: 560–564. , .
- 1992. Use of bioluminescence for detection of genetically engineered microorganisms released into the environment. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 58: 267–273. , , , .
- 1992. Detection of a single genetically modified bacterial cell in soil by using charge coupled device-enhanced microscopy. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 58: 2444–2448. , , , , .
- 1994. Biocontral of post-harvest fungal diseases on Dutch white cabbage by Pseudomonas and Serratia antagonists in storage trials. Plant Pathology 43: 605–611. , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. lux genes and the applications of bacterial bioluminescence. Journal of General Microbiology 138: 1289–1300. , .
- 1990. Concepts and technologies of selected seed treatments. Annual Review of Phytopathology 28: 321–339. , .
- 1990. Role of antibiotic and siderophores in biocontrol of take-all disease of wheat. Plant and Soil 129: 93–99. , .
- 1992. Gene transfer between bacteria in the soil environment. In: BallaE, BerencsiG, SzentirmaiA, eds. DNA Transfer and Gene Expression in Microorganisms. Proceedings of the 11th European Meeting on Genetic Transformation, Budapest, 23–27 August, 97–110. , .
- 1991. Methods for the detection of specific bacteria and their genes in soil. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 34: 97–105. , .
- 1990. Soil structural aspects of decomposition of organic matter by microorganisms. Biogeochemistry 11: 213–233. , .
- 1993. The cloning and: characterisation of phage promoters, directing high expression of luciferase in Pseudomonas syringae pv. phaseolicola, allowing single cell and microcolony detection. Molecular Ecology 2: 285–294. , , , , .
- 1994. Advances in biological control of protected crops. Brighton Crop Protection Conference - Pests & Diseases - 1994 9B: 1259–1264. .
- 1991. Biological control of Pythium species. Biocontrol Science and Technology 1: 75–90. , .
- 1994. A partial chloroform-fumigation technique to characterise the spatial location of bacteria introduced into soil. Biology and Fertility of Soils 17: 191–195. , , , , , .
- 1975. Water potential and the respiration of microorganisms in the soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 7: 199–204. , .
- 1995. Molecular techniques for the study of rhizobial ecology in the field. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 27: 501–514. .
- 1993. The effect of location in soil on protozoal grazing of a genetically modified inoculum. Geoderma 56: 633–640. , , , .