Experiments on the causes of altitudinal differences in the leaf nutrient contents, size and δ13C of Alchemilla alpina
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 134, Issue 3, pages 471–479, November 1996
How to Cite
MORECROFT, M. D. and WOODWARD, F. I. (1996), Experiments on the causes of altitudinal differences in the leaf nutrient contents, size and δ13C of Alchemilla alpina. New Phytologist, 134: 471–479. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1996.tb04364.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- Received 11 March 1996; accepted 11 July 1996
- 1994. Regional and historical variation in the nitrogen content of Racomitrium lanuginosum, in Britain in relation to atmospheric nitrogen deposition. Environmental Pollution 84: 189–196. , , .
- 1981. Mountain weather and climate. London : Methuen. .
- 1983. The CO2 compensation point for C3 plants - re-examination. II. Intraspecific variability. Zeitschrift für Pflanzenphysiologie 109: 143–154. , , , .
- 1961. Effect of low concentrations of carbon dioxide on photosynthesis rates of two races of Oxyria. Science 133: 1834. , , .
- 1957. Isotopic standards for carbon and oxygen correlation factors for mass spectrometric analysis of carbon dioxide. Geochimica & Cosmochimica Acta 12: 133–149. .
- 1990. Effects of ammonia, ammonium sulphate and sulphur dioxide on the frost sensitivity of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.). Water, Air & Soil Pollution 54: 35–49. , , , .
- 1989. Photosynthesis and nitrogen relationships in leaves of C3 plants. Oecologia 78: 9–19. .
- 1982. On the relationship between carbon isotope discrimination and the intercellular carbon dioxide concentration in leaves. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 9: 121–137. , , .
- 1988. The influence of altitude on rainfall composition at Great Dun Fell. Atmospheric Environment 22: 1355–1362. , , , , , .
- 1990. Evolutionary and ecophysiological responses of mountain plants to the growing season environment. Advances in Ecological Research 20: 59–124. , .
- 1995. Ecological correlates of carbon isotope composition of leaves: a comparative analysis testing for the effects of temperature, CO2 and O2 partial pressures and taxonomic relatedness on δ13C. Journal of Ecology 83: 509–516. , .
- 1989. The nutritional status of plants from high altitudes, a world-wide comparison. Oecologia 81: 379–391. .
- 1994. Evidence that plants from high altitude retain their greater photosynthetic efficiency under elevated CO2. Functional Ecology 8: 58–68. , .
- 1988. A global survey of carbon isotope discrimination m plants from high altitude. Oecologia 74: 623–632. , , .
- 1991. Carbon isotope discrimination by plants follows latitudinal and altitudinal trends. Oecologia 88: 30–40. , . & .
- 1989. Functional morphology of mountain plants. Flora 182: 353–383. , , , .
- 1990. Experimental investigations on the environmental determination of δ13C at different altitudes. Journal of Experimental Botany 41: 1303–1308. , .
- 1992a. Altitudinal and seasonal trends in soil nitrogen mineralization rate in the Scottish Highlands. Journal of Ecology 80: 49–56. , , .
- 1992b. Altitudinal trends in leaf nutrient concentrations, leaf size and δ13C of Alchemilla alpina L. Functional Ecology 6: 730–740. , , .
- 1994. An experimental investigation into the effects of atmospheric nitrogen deposition on two semi-natural grasslands. Journal of Ecology 82: 475–483. , , .
- 1995. Deposition of fixed nitrogen and foliar nitrogen content of bryophytes and Calluna vulgaris (L) Hull. Environmental Pollution 88: 193–205. , , .
- 1972. Trials to recreate floristically-rich vegetation by plant introduction in the northern Pennines, England. Biological Conservation 4: 135–140. , .
- 1993. Influence of acidic mist on frost hardiness and nutrient concentrations in red spruce seedlings. 1. Exposure of the foliage and the rooting environment. New Phytologist 124: 595–605. , , .
- 1990. Variation in foliar δ13C in Hawaiian Metrosideros polymorpha: a case of internal resistance Oecologia 84: 362–370. , , .
- 1981. Some relationships between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas exchange of leaves. Planta 153: 376–387. , .
- 1983. The significance of interspecific differences in specific leaf area to the growth of selected herbaceous species from different altitudes. New Phytologist 95: 313–323. .
- 1986. Ecophysiological studies on the shrub Vaccinium myrtillus L. taken from a wide altitudinal range. Oecologia 70: 580–586. .
- 1995. Variation in carbon isotope discrimination and photosynthetic gas exchange among populations of Pseudotsuga menziesii and Pinus ponderosa in different environments. Functional Ecology 9: 402–12. , .