Drought—CO2 interactions in trees observations and mechanisms
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 134, Issue 2, pages 235–242, October 1996
How to Cite
BEERLING, D. J., HEATH, J., WOODWARD, F. I. and MANSFIELD, T. A. (1996), Drought—CO2 interactions in trees observations and mechanisms. New Phytologist, 134: 235–242. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1996.tb04628.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 3 January 1996; accepted 15 May 1996)
- 1989. The hydrologic cycle: a major variable during Earth history. Palaeogeography, Palaeo-climatology, Palaeoecology (Global and Planetary Change Section) 75: 157–174. , , .
- 1994. Predicting leaf gas exchange and S13C responses to past environmental change. New Phytologist 128: 425–433. .
- 1996. Ecophysiological responses of woody plants to past CO2 concentrations. Tree Physiology 16: 389–396. .
- 1994. The climate change experiment (CLIMEX): phenology and gas exchange responses of boreal vegetation to global change. Global Ecology and Biogeography Letters 4: 17–26. , .
- 1996. In situ gas exchange responses of boreal vegetation to elevated CO2 and temperature: first season results. Global Ecology and Biogeography Letters 5: (in press). , .
- 1993. Water transport in plants under climatic stress. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. , , .
- 1977. Competitive exploration of soil water by five eastern North American tree species. Botanical Gazette (Chicago) 138: 168–173. , , .
- 1995. Ecosystem experiments. Science 269: 324–327. , , , , .
- 1991. Palaeoclimatology. Oxford Monographs on Geology and Geophysics No. 18. New York : Oxford University Press. , .
- 1995. The growth and gas exchange response of soil-planted Norway spruce (Picea abies (L.) Karst.] and red oak (Quercus rubra L.) exposed to elevated CO2 and to naturally occurring drought. New Phytologist 129: 265–273. , , .
- 1993. A branch bag technique for simultaneous CO2 enrichment and assimilation measurements on beech (Fagus sylvatica L.). Plant, Cell and Environment 15: 1131–1138. , , .
- 1993. Growth and photosynthesis of two deciduous forest species at elevated carbon dioxide. Functional Ecology 7: 480–486. , , .
- 1993. Long-term effects of drought on photosynthesis of adult oak trees [Quercus petraea (Matt.) Liebl. and Quercus robur L.] in a natural stand. New Phytologist 125: 381–389. , .
- 1992. Photosynthesis of oak trees [Quercus petraea (Matt.) Liebl.] during drought under field conditions: diurnal course of net CO2 assimilation and photochemical efficiency of photosystem II. Plant, Cell and Environment 15: 809–820. , , .
- 1986. Ice core record of the 13C/12C ratio of atmospheric CO2 in the past two centuries. Nature 324: 237–238. , , , , .
- 1994. Interactive effects of elevated CO2 and soil drought on growth and transpiration efficiency and its determinants in two European forest tree species. Tree Physiology 14: 707–724. , , , .
- 1994. Photosynthetic acclimation in trees to rising atmospheric CO2: a broader perspective. Photosynthesis Research 39: 369–388. , .
- 1996. Interactions of elevated CO2 and nutrient supply with drought in beech saplings: a comparison with well-watered beech and oak. Plant, Cell and Environment (in press). , .
- 1995. Stomatal behaviour in a beech canopy: an analysis of the Bowen ratio measurements compared with porometer data. Plant, Cell and Environment 18: 1010–1018. .
- 1981. Temperate hardwood forests. In: KozlowskiTT, ed. Water Deficits and Plant Growth, vol. 6, Woody Plant Communities. New York : Academic Press, 153–208. , , , .
- 1992. Observations on the condition of beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) in Britain in 1990. Forestry 65: 35–60. .
- 1988. Quantitative analyses of the early angiosperm radiation. Nature 331: 344–346. , .
- 1993. A survey of the health of Fagus sylvatica in southern Britain. Journal of Applied Ecology 30: 295–306. , , .
- 1991. Effects of spatial scale on stomatal control of transpiration. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 54: 279–302. , .
- 1995. Leaf area dynamics of conifer forests. In: SmithWK, HinckleyTM, eds. Ecophysiology of Coniferous Forests. San Diego : Academic Press, 181–223. , , , .
- 1993. Response of plants to CO2 under water limited conditions. Vegetatio 104/105: 193–203. .
- 1991. Leaf area compensation and nutrient interactions in CO2-enriched seedlings of yellow-poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera L.). New Phvtologist 117: 515–528. , .
- 1995. Increased growth efficiency of Quercus alba trees in a CO2-enriched atmosphere. New Phytologist 131: 91–97. , , , .
- 1992. Effects of elevated carbon dioxide on photosynthesis and growth of small birch plants (Betula pendula Roth.) at optimal nutrition. Plant, Cell and Environment 15: 911–919. , .
- 1993. Response of small birch plants (Betula pendula Roth.) to elevated CO2 and nitrogen supply. Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 1115–1121. , , .
- 1927. On the causes and ecological significance of stomatal frequency, with special reference to the woodland flora. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B216: 1–65. .
- 1995. Terrestrial ecosystems and the global carbon cycle. Global Change Biology 1: 77–91. .
- 1995. Interactions between drought and elevated CO2 on growth and gas exchange of seedlings of three deciduous tree species. New Phytologist 129: 63–71. , , , .
- 1993. Effects of elevated carbon dioxide and drought on the growth and physiology of clonal Sitka spruce plants (Picea sitchensis (Bong.) Carr). Tree Physiology 13: 389–399. .
- 1987. Stomatal numbers are sensitive to increases in CO2 from pre-industrial levels. Nature 327: 617–618. .
- 1992. Tansley Review No. 41 Predicting plant responses to global change. New Phytologist 122: 239–251. .
- 1993. Plant responses to past concentrations of CO2. Vegetatio 104/105: 145–155. .