Epidemiological dynamics and the efficiency of biological control of soil-borne disease during consecutive epidemics in a controlled environment
Article first published online: 23 DEC 2003
Volume 161, Issue 2, pages 569–575, February 2004
How to Cite
Bailey, D. J., Kleczkowski, A. and Gilligan, C. A. (2004), Epidemiological dynamics and the efficiency of biological control of soil-borne disease during consecutive epidemics in a controlled environment. New Phytologist, 161: 569–575. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.00973.x
- Issue published online: 23 DEC 2003
- Article first published online: 23 DEC 2003
- Received: 14 July 2003 Accepted: 29 September 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2004.00973.x
- 1997. Biological control of pathozone behaviour and disease dynamics of Rhizoctonia solani by Trichoderma viride. New Phytologist 136: 359–367. , .
- 1999. Dynamics of primary and secondary infection in take-all epidemics. Phytopathology 89: 84–90. , .
- 1990. Root diseases. In: RabinowichHD, BrewsterJL, eds. Onions and allied crops. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press, 105–154. .
- 1970. Pathogenic root infecting fungi. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1999. Predicting variability in biological control of a plant–pathogen system using stochastic models. Proceedings of the Royal Society Series B 266: 1–11. , , .
- 1997. Components of pathozone behaviour. New Phytologist 136: 343–358. , .
- 1996. Inoculum density and spatial pattern of Rhizoctonia solani in field plots of Solanum tuberosum: effects of cropping frequency. Plant Pathology 45: 232–244. , , .
- 1997. Persistence of host–parasite interactions in a disturbed environment. Journal of Theoretical Biology 188: 241–258. , .
- 1978. Integrated control of Rhizoctonia solani damping-off of radish: effect of successive plantings, PCNB, and Trichoderma harzianum on pathogen and disease. Phytopathology 68: 900–907. , , .
- 1991. Effects of rotation length, fungicide treatment of tubers and nematocide on diseases and the quality of potato tubers. Annals of Applied Biology 119: 77–87. , .
- 1996. Dynamically generated variability in a plant pathogen system with biological control. Proceeding of the Royal Society London Series B 263: 777–783. , , .
- 1997. Scaling and spatial dynamics in plant pathogen systems: from individuals to populations. Proceeding of the Royal Society London Series B 264: 979–984. , , .
- 1988. Changes in take-all (Gaeumannomyces graminis var. tritici), rhizoctonia root rot (Rhizoctonia solani) and soil pH in continuous wheat with annual applications of nitrogenous fertilizer in Western Australia. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 28: 33–341. .
- 1996. Patch dynamics and bare patch. In: SnehB, Jabaji-HareS, NeateS, DijstG, eds. Rhizoctonia species: taxonomy, molecular biology, ecology, pathology and disease control. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic, 215–226. .
- 2003. Quantification and analysis of transmission rates for soilborne epidemics. Ecology (in press.) , , , .
- 1970. Colonisation and growth of Rhizoctonia solani in soil. In: ParmeterJR, ed. Rhizoctonia solani, Biology and Ecology. Los Angeles, CA, USA: University of California Press, 108–122. .
- 2001. Population dynamics of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp radicis-lycopersici in relation to the onset of fusarium crown and root rot of tomato. European Journal of Plant Pathology 107: 367–375. , , .
- 2001. Possible mechanisms influencing the dynamics of rhizoctonia disease of tulips. European Journal of Plant Pathology 107: 723–738. , , .
- 1999. Modelling of take-all epidemics to evaluate the efficacy of a new seed treatment on wheat. Phytopathology 89: 954–961. , .
- 1988. Biological control of soil-borne pathogens in the rhizosphere with bacteria. Annual Review of Phytopathology 26: 379–407. .
- 2002. Microbial populations responsible for specific soil suppressiveness to plant pathogens. Annual Review of Phytopathology 40: 309–348. , , , .
- 1997. Developments in the biological control of soil-borne plant pathogens. Advances in Botanical Research 26: 1–134. .
- 1998. Spatial heterogeneity in three-species, plant–parasite–hyperparasite, systems. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B – Biological Sciences 353: 543–557. , .
- 2001. Weighing the odds. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 236–239. .