Involvement of cAMP signaling in elicitor-induced phytoalexin accumulation in Cupressus lusitanica cell cultures
Article first published online: 30 JAN 2004
Volume 161, Issue 3, pages 723–733, March 2004
How to Cite
Zhao, J., Guo, Y., Fujita, K. and Sakai, K. (2004), Involvement of cAMP signaling in elicitor-induced phytoalexin accumulation in Cupressus lusitanica cell cultures. New Phytologist, 161: 723–733. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.00976.x
- Issue published online: 30 JAN 2004
- Article first published online: 30 JAN 2004
- Received: 15 August 2003 Accepted: 20 October 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00976.x
- 1998. Divergent cAMP signaling pathways regulate growth and pathogenesis in the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe grisea. Plant Cell 10: 1361–1374. , .
- 1998. Activation of a plant plasma membrane Ca2+ channel by TGalpha1, a heterotrimeric G protein alpha-subunit homologue. FEBS Letters 424: 17–12. , , , .
- 1995. Cyclic AMP as a second messenger in higher plants: status and future prospects. Plant Physiology 108: 885–888. .
- 2002. Arabidopsis CAP regulates actin cytoskeleton necessary for pla cell elongation and division. Plant Cell 14: 149–163. , , , .
- 2003. Over-expression of Arabidopsis CAP causes decreased cell expansion leading to organ size reduction in transgenic tobacco plants. Annals of Botany 91: 599–560. , , , .
- 2003. HLM1, an essential signaling component in the hypersensitive response, is a member of the cyclic nucleotide-gated channel ion channel family. Plant Cell 15: 365–379. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Studies on the possible role of protein phosphorylation in the transduction of the ethylene signal. Plant Growth Regulation 18: 135–1419. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Early signalling events in the apoplastic oxidative burst in suspension cultured French bean cells involve cAMP and Ca2+. New Phytologist 151: 185–194. , , , , , .
- 1992. A role for phosphorylation in the down-regulation of phenylalanine ammonia-lyase in suspension-cultured cells of French bean. Phytochemistry 31: 4081–4086. .
- 1995. Cyclic AMP, the reluctant messenger in plants. Trends in Biochemical Science 12: 492–495. .
- 1999. Role of active oxygen species and NO in plant defence responses. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 2: 287–294. .
- 1995. Calcium regulation in plant cells and its role in signalling. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 46: 95–122. .
- 1988. Swelling of etiolated oat protoplasts induced by phytochrome, cAMP, and gibberellic acid: a kinetic study. Plant Cell Physiology 29: 855–860. , , , , .
- 2000. The Arabidopsis dnd1‘defense, no death’ gene encodes a mutated cyclic nucleotide-gated ion channel. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 9323–9328. , , , , .
- 1994. Evidence that cyclic AMP is involved in the hypersensitive response of Medicago sativa to a fungal elicitor. Phytochemistry 35: 889–895. , , , .
- 1997. Oligosaccharins, brassinolides, and jasmonates: Nontraditional regulators of plant growth, development, and gene expression. Plant Cell 9: 1211–1223. , .
- 1994. Effect of two cAMP analogues on stomatal opening in Vicia faba: possible relationship with cytosolic calcium concentration. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 32: 365–372. , , .
- 1998. SA, JA, ethylene, and disease resistance in plants. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 1: 316–323. .
- 1998. Effect of indomethacin on cell cycle-dependent cyclic AMP fluxes in tobacco BY-2 cells. FEBS Letters 422: 165–169. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Effect of aluminium and cAMP on acid phosphatase from the apoplast of barley and maize root cells. Izvestiia Akademii Nauk Seriia Biologicheskaia (Moskva) 2: 186–194. , .
- 2001. Ethylene signal perception and transduction: multiple paradigms. Biological Review 76: 103–128. , , , , .
- 1997. Elicitor-stimulated ion fluxes and O2− from the oxidative burst are essential components in triggering defense gene activation and phytoalexin synthesis in parsley. Proceedings of the National Academy Sciences, USA 94: 4800–4805. , , , , .
- 1997. Isolation and characterization of multiple adenylate cyclase genes from the cyanobacterium Anabaena sp. strain PCC 7120. Journal of Bacteriology 179: 3588–3593. , .
- 2000. Evidence that the cAMP pathway controls emergence of both primary and appressorial germ tubes of barley powdery mildew. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 13: 494–502. , , , , , .
- 1999. Characterization of a novel gene family of putative cyclic nucleotide- and calmodulin-regulated ion channels in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 18: 97–104. , , .
- 1997. Role of inward K+ channel located at carrot plasma membrane in signal cross-talking of cAMP with Ca2+ cascade. FEBS Letters 408: 115–119. .
- 1994. Involvement of plasma membrane-located calmodulin in the response decay of cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channel of cultured carrot cells. FEBS Letters 340: 193–196. , , .
- 1993. Stimulation of calcium influx and calcium cascade by cyclic AMP in cultured carrot cells. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 302: 144–151. , .
- 1992. Evidence for participation of GTP-binding proteins in elicitation of the rapid oxidative burst in cultured soybean cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry 267: 20140–20147. , , .
- 2002. Electrophysiological analysis of cloned cyclic nucleotide-gated ion channels. Plant Physiology 128: 400–410. , , , , .
- 1999. Cloning and first functional characterization of a plant cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channel. Plant Physiology 121: 753–761. , , , .
- 1994. Cyclic AMP stimulates K+ channel activity in mesophyll cells of Vicia faba L. Plant Physiology 106: 957–961. , , , .
- 1997. Fil1, a G-protein α-subunit that acts upstream of cAMP and is essential for dimorphic switching in haploid cells of Ustilago hordei. Molecular and Gene Genetics 256: 426–435. , .
- 1997. Roles of higher plant K+ channels. Plant Physiology 114: 1141–1149. , , , .
- 2001. Sodium uptake in Arabidopsis roots is regulated by cyclic nucleotides. Plant Physiology 127: 1617–1625. , .
- 1996. Methyl jasmonate induced production of taxol in suspension cultures of Taxus cuspidata: ethylene interaction and induction models. Biotechnology Progress 12: 110–118. , .
- 2001. cAMP acts as a second messenger in pollen tube growth and reorientation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA. 98: 10481–10486. , , , .
- 1999. Cyclic nucleotides in higher plants: the enduring paradox. New Phytologist 143: 427–455. , , , .
- 1999. Early events in the signal pathway for the oxidative burst in soybean cells exposed to avirulent Pseudomonas syringae pv. glycinea. Plant Physiology 120: 1137–1114. , , .
- 1992C.alcium requirement for ethylene-dependent responses. Plant Cell 4: 1123–1130. , .
- 2002. Activation of adenylyl cyclases, regulation of insulin status, and cell survival by Gα olf in pancreatic beta-cells. American Journal of Physiology Regulation Integration Comparative Physiology 282: R870–R880. , , , , .
- 2002. Cyclic nucleotide content of tobacco BY-2 cells. Phytochemistry 61: 531–537. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Protein kinases in the plant defense response. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 4: 407–414. .
- 2001. Induction of wound response gene expression in tobacco leaves by ionophores. Planta 212: 431–435. , .
- 2003. Synergistic interactions between volicitin, jasmonic acid and ethylene mediate insect-induced volatile emission in Zea mays. Physiologia Plantarum 117: 403–441. , , .
- 2001. Involvement of mitogen-activated protein kinase activation in the signal-transduction pathways of the oxidative burst. Biochemical Journal 355: 795–803. , , .
- 2000. MAP kinase and protein kinase A-dependent mobilization of triacylglycerol and glycogen during appressorium turgor generation by Magnaporthe grisea. Plant Cell 12: 1703–1718. , , .
- 2001. Relationship between the self-incompatibility and cAMP level in Lilium longiflorum. Plant Cell and Physiology 42: 1234–1238. , .
- 2002. Actin polymerization processes in plant cells. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 502–506. , .
- 1998. Second messengers mediate increases in cytosolic calcium in tobacco protoplasts. Plant Physiology 117: 1023–1030. , , , .
- 2001. The cAMP-protein kinase A signal transduction pathway modulates ethanol consumption and sedative effects of ethanol. Journal of Neurosciense 21: 5297–5303. , , , , .
- 2002. Ethylene biosynthesis and signaling networks. Plant Cell 14: S131–S151. , , .
- 2001. G protein regulation of ion channels and abscisic acid signaling in Arabidopsis guard cells. Science 292: 2070–2072. , , , .
- 1995. Roles of ion channels in initiation of signal transduction in higher plants. Plant Cell 7: 833–844. , , .
- 2001. Molecular interactions between the specialist herbivore Manduca sexta (Lepidoptera, Sphingidae) and its natural host Nicotiana attenuata. IV. insect-induced ethylene reduces jasmonate-induced nicotine accumulation by regulating putrescine N-methyltransferase transcripts. Plant Physiology 125: 2189–2202. , .
- 1984. Ethylene biosynthesis and its regulation in higher plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 35: 155–189. , .
- 1996. Molecular characterization of an adenylate cyclase gene of the cyanobacterium Spirulina platensis. Plant Molecular Biology 31: 175–181. , , .
- 2001a. Improved β-thujaplicin production in Cupressus lusitanica suspension cultures by fungal elicitor and methyl jasmonate. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 55: 301–305. , , , .
- 2001b. Elicitor-induced indole alkaloid biosynthesis in Catharanthus roseus cell cultures is related to Ca2+-influx and the oxidative burst. Plant Science 161: 423–431. , , , .
- 2003a. Multiple signaling pathways mediate fungal elicitor-induced β-thujaplicin production in Cupressus lusitanica cell cultures. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 647–656. , .
- 2003b. Peroxidases are involved in biosynthesis and biodegradation of β-thujaplicin in fungal elicitor-treated Cupressus lusitanica cell cultures. New Phytologist 159: 719–731. , .