Interactions between aboveground and belowground induction of glucosinolates in two wild Brassica species
Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2004
Volume 161, Issue 3, pages 801–810, March 2004
How to Cite
Van Dam, N. M., Witjes, L. and Svatoš, A. (2004), Interactions between aboveground and belowground induction of glucosinolates in two wild Brassica species. New Phytologist, 161: 801–810. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.00984.x
- Issue online: 30 JAN 2004
- Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2004
- Received: 31 July 2003 Accepted: 13 October 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00984.x
- 2003. A role for isothiocyanates in plant resistance against the specialist herbivore Pieris rapae. Journal of Chemical Ecology 29: 1403–1415. , .
- 1994. Wound-induced changes in root and shoot jasmonic acid pools correlate with induced nicotine synthesis in Nicotiana sylvestris Spegazzini and Comes. Journal of Chemical Ecology 20: 2139–2157. , , .
- 1999. Wound-induced increases in the glucosinolate content of oilseed rape and their effect on subsequent herbivory by a crucifer specialist. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 91: 163–167. , , , .
- 2003. Interactions between above- and belowground insect herbivores as mediated by the plant defense system. Oikos: 555–562. , , , .
- 1990. Changes in forage and oilseed rape (Brassica napus) root glucosinolates in response to attack by turnip root fly (Delia floralis). Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 51: 309–320. , , .
- 1994. Potent effect of jasmonates on indole glucosinolates in oilseed rape and mustard. Phytochemistry 35: 301–305. .
- 2000. Glucosinolate genetics and the attraction of the aphid parasitoid Diaeretiella rapae to Brassica. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 267: 89–95. , .
- 1997. Control of soil-borne plant pests using glucosinolate-containing plants. Advances in Agronomy 61: 167–231. , .
- 1987. Approach to determination of HPLC response factors for glucosinolates. In: WatheletJP, ed. Glucosinolates in rapeseed. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Martinus-Nijhoff Publishers, pp. 50–58. .
- 1988. Biological effects of glucosinolates. In: CutlerHG, ed. Biologically active natural poducts. Washington DC: ACS, 155–181. .
- 2000. Environmental and developmental regulation of trypsin inhibitor activity in Brassica napus. Journal of Chemical Ecology 26: 1411–1422. , .
- 1997. Biosynthesis and action of jasmonates in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 355–381. , .
- 2001. Competition mediates costs of jamonate-induced defences, N acquisition and transgenerational plasticity in Nicotiana attenuata. Functional Ecology 15: 406–415. , .
- 2003. Interactions between aboveground and belowground induced responses against phytophages. Basic and Applied Ecology 4: 63–77. , , , , , .
- 2001. Ontogeny constrains the systemic proteinase inhibitor response in Nicotiana attenuata. Journal of Chemical Ecology 27: 547–568. , , , .
- 1994. Genetic variation in constitutive and inducible pyrrolizidine alkaloid levels in Cynoglossum officinale L. Oecologia 99: 374–378. , .
- 2001. Analysis of mustard trypsin inhibitor-2 gene expression in response to developmental of environmental induction. Planta 212: 710–717. , , , .
- 2003. Soil invertebrate fauna enhances grassland succession and diversity. Nature 422: 711–713. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Selective induction of glucosinolates in oilseed rape leaves by methyl jasmonate. Phytochemistry 38: 347–350. , , , , .
- 1997. The biosynthesis of glucosinolates. Trends in Plant Science 2: 425–431. , .
- EC. 1990. Oil seeds – determination of glucosinolates High Perfomance Liquid Chromatography. Official Journal of the European Communities L. 170/28. Annex VIII: 03.07.27–03.07.34.
- 2001. The chemical diversity and distribution of glucosinolates and isothiocyanates among plants. Phytochemistry 56: 5–51. , , .
- 1999. Inverse relationship between systemic resistance of plants to microorganisms and to insect herbivory. Current Biology 9: 317–320. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Comparative analysis of headspace volatiles from different caterpillar-infested or uninfested food plants of Pierisspecies. Journal of Chemical Ecology 23: 2935–2954. , , , .
- 2000. The methionine chain elongation pathway in the biosynthesis of glucosinolates in Eruca sativa. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 378: 411–419. , , , .
- 1997. The biosynthesis of glucosinolates. Trends in Plant Science 2: 331–425. , .
- 1999. A survey of plant defense responses to pathogens. In: AgrawalAA, TuzunS, BentE, eds. Induced plant defenses against pathagens and herbivores. St. Paul, MN, USA: APS Press, 55–72. , .
- 1999. The role of salicylic acid in disease resistance. In: AgrawalAA, TuzunS, BentE, eds. Induced plant defenses against pathogens and herbivores. St. Paul, MN, USA: APS Press, 37–54. , .
- 2003. Interactions over four trophic levels: foodplant quality affects development of a hyperparasitoid as mediated through a herbivore and its primary parasitoid. Journal of Animal Ecology 72: 520–530. , , .
- 1979. A simple sequentially rejective multiple test procedure. Scandinavian Journal of Statistics 6: 65–70. .
- 1997. Induced responses to herbivory. Chicago, IL, USA: University of Chicago Press. , .
- 1994. Salicylic acid-induced accumulation of glucosinolates in oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.) leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 45: 1343–1346. , , .
- 2001. The Arabidopsis epithiospecifier protein promotes the hydrolysis of glucosinolates to nitriles and influences Trichoplusia ni herbivory. Plant Cell 13: 2793–2807. , , , , .
- 2000. Feeding and growth of Plutella xylostella and Spodoptera eridania on Brassica juncea with varying glucosinolate concentrations and myrosinase activities. Journal of Chemical Ecology 26: 2401–2419. , , , .
- 1997. Glucosinolate content in susceptible and resistant chinese cabbage varieties during development of clubroot disease. Phytochemistry 44: 407–417. , , , , .
- 2003. Modulation of CYP79 genes and glucosinolate profiles in Arabidopsis by defense signaling pathways. Plant Physiology 131: 298–308. , , , , , .
- 1987. Glucosinolates of wild and cultivated Brassica species. Phytochemistry 26: 1969–1973. , , , .
- 2000. Glucosinolates and differential herbivory in wild populations of Brassica oleracea. Journal of Chemical Ecology 26: 2625–2641. , , , .
- 2002. Signalling in rhizobacteria-induced systemic resistance in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Biology 4: 535–544. , , , , .
- 1999. Reduced susceptibility of Brassica napus to Pratylenchus neglectus in plants with elevated root levels of 2-phenylethyl glucosinolate. Journal of Nematology 31: 291–298. , , , , .
- 1999. Tobacco mosaic virus inoculation inhibits wound-induced jasmonic acid-mediated responses within but not between plants. Planta 209: 87–95. , , , .
- 2001. Linking above- and belowground multitrophic interactions of plants, herbivores, pathogens and their antagonists. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 16: 547–554. , , , .
- 2000. Myrosinase: gene family evolution and herbivore defense in Brassicaceae. Plant Molecular Biology 42: 93–113. , , , , , .
- 2002. Comparative physiological responses in Chinese cabbage induced by herbivory and fungal infection. Journal of Chemical Ecology 28: 2449–2463. , , .
- 2003. Ecological cross-effects of induced plant responses towards herbivores and phytopathogenic fungi. Basic and Applied Ecology 4: 43–62. , , .
- 1984. Glucosinolate profiles in the seed, root and leaf tissue of cabbage, mustard, rape seed, radish and swede. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 64: 77–93. , , , .
- 2002. Identification of a triterpenoid saponin from a crucifer, Barbarea vulgaris, as a feeding deterrent to the diamondback moth, Plutella xylostella. Journal of Chemical Ecology 28: 587–599. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Regulation of the wound-induced myrosinase-associated protein transcript in Brassica napus plants. European Journal of Biochemistry 247: 963–971. , , , .
- 1999. Trade-offs in plant defense against pathogens and herbivores: a field demonstration of chemical elicitors of induced resistance. Journal of Chemical Ecology 25: 1597–1609. , , , .
- 2002a. Differential induction of trichomes by three herbivores of black mustard. Oecologia 131: 526–532. , .
- 2002b. Reduced performance of two specialist herbivores (Lepidoptera: Pieridae, Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) on new leaves of damaged black mustard plants. Environmental Entomology 31: 714–722. , .
- 2003. Root herbivory induces an above-ground indirect defence. Ecology Letters 6: 9–12. , .
- 2002. Constitutive plant toxins and their role in defense against herbivores and pathogens. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 300–307. , .
- 2002. Glucosinolate research in the Arabidopsis era. Trends in Plant Science 7: 263–270. , .