Nocturnal warming increases photosynthesis at elevated CO2 partial pressure in Populus deltoides
Version of Record online: 8 JAN 2004
Volume 161, Issue 3, pages 819–826, March 2004
How to Cite
Turnbull, M. H., Tissue, D. T., Murthy, R., Wang, X., Sparrow, A. D. and Griffin, K. L. (2004), Nocturnal warming increases photosynthesis at elevated CO2 partial pressure in Populus deltoides. New Phytologist, 161: 819–826. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.00994.x
- Issue online: 30 JAN 2004
- Version of Record online: 8 JAN 2004
- Received: 15 July 2003 Accepted: 29 October 2003; doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.00994.x
- 1999. Grassland vegetation changes and nocturnal global warming. Science 283: 229–231. , , .
- 1997. Plant respiratory responses to elevated CO2 partial pressure. In: WhitmanCE, ed. Advances in Carbon Dioxide Effects Research, ASA Special Publication No. 61. Madison, WI, USA: ASA/CSSA/SSSA. .
- 2000. Direct effect of elevated CO2 on nocturnal in situ leaf respiration in nine temperate deciduous tree species is small. Tree Physiology 20: 139–144. .
- 2000. Acclimation of snow gum (Eucalyptus pauciflora) leaf respiration to seasonal and diurnal variations in temperature: the importance of changes in the capacity and temperature sensitivity of respiration. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 15–26. , , .
- 1992. Relationships between photosynthesis and respiration in the dark in plants. In: MedranoH, ed. Trends in photosynthesis research. Andover, UK: Intercept, 241–253. .
- 1993. Inhibition of photosynthesis by carbohydrates in wheat leaves. Plant Physiology 73: 681–686. .
- 1983. Relationship between photosynthesis and respiration. Plant Physiology 71: 574–581. , .
- 1999. Foliar temperature-respiration response functions for broad-leaved tree species in the southern Appalachians. Tree Physiology 19: 871–878. , , .
- 2000. Effects of tree size and temperature on relative growth rate and its components of Fagus sylvatica seedlings exposed to two partial pressures of atmospheric CO2. New Phytologist 146: 415–425. , , .
- 1999. Biosphere 2 engineering design. Ecological Engineering 13: 31–42. .
- 1997. Maximum and minimum temperature trends for the globe. Science 277: 364–367. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Interaction of carbon dioxide with growth-limiting environmental factors in vegetation productivity: implications for the global carbon cycle. Advances in Bioclimatology 1: 24–58. .
- 2003. Plant respiration in productivity models: conceptualisation, representation and issues for global terrestrial carbon-cycle research. Functional Plant Biology 30: 171–186. .
- 1992. Regulation of photosynthesis by end-product accumulation in leaves of plants storing starch, sucrose, and hexose sugars. Plant Physiology 99: 1443–1448. , .
- 1999. Direct inhibition of mitochondrial respiratory enzymes by elevated CO2: does it matter at the tissue or whole-plant level? Tree Physiology 19: 253–259. , .
- 2002a. Canopy position affects the temperature response of leaf respiration in Populus deltoides. New Phytologist 154: 609–619. , , .
- 2002b. Leaf respiration is differentially affected by leaf vs. ecosystem night-time warming. Global Change Biology 8: 479–485. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Acclimation of photosynthesis and respiration to simulated climatic warming in northern and southern populations of Acer saccharum: laboratory and field evidence. Tree Physiology 20: 87–96. , , .
- 2001. Direct and indirect effects of elevated CO2 on leaf respiration in a forest ecosystem. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 975–982. , , .
- 1991. An improved model of C3 photosynthesis at high CO2– reversed O2 sensitivity explained by lack of glycerate reentry into the chloroplast. Photosynthesis Research 27: 169–178. , .
- IPCC. 2001. Third assessment report of working group I. Geneva, Switzerland: United Nations Environment Programme.
- 1994. Long term effects of naturally elevated CO2 on mediterranean grassland and forest trees. Oecologia 99: 343–351. , .
- 1995. An evaluation of direct and indirect mechanisms for the sink-regulation of photosynthesis in spinach – changes in gas-exchange, carbohydrates, metabolites, enzyme-activities and steady-state transcript levels after cold-girdling source leaves. Planta 195: 313–323. , .
- 1993. Regulation of the expression of rbcS and other photosynthetic genes by carbohydrates: a mechanism for the ‘sink regulation’ of photosynthesis. Plant Journal 3: 817–828. , , , .
- 1999. Responses of two provenances of Fagus sylvatica seedlings to a combination of four temperature and two CO2 treatments during their first growing season: gas exchange of leaves and roots. New Phytologist 144: 437–454. , , .
- 1998. An experimental and modeling study of responses in ecosystems carbon exchanges to increasing CO2 concentrations using a tropical rainforest mesocosm. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 25: 547–556. , , , , , .
- 1991. Modification of the response of photosynthetic productivity to rising temperature by atmospheric CO2 concentrations: has its importance been understood? Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 729–739. .
- 1993. Mathematical models of the photosynthetic response of tree stands to rising CO2 concentrations and temperatures. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 1–13. , .
- 1999. The biochemical and molecular basis for photosynthetic acclimation to elevated atmospheric CO2. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 567–582. , , , .
- 1999. Interactions between increasing CO2 concentration and temperature on plant growth. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 659–682. , .
- 1997. Increased plant growth in the northern high latitudes from 1981 to 1991. Nature 386: 698–702. , , , , .
- 1981. Biometry. New York, NY, USA: W.H. Freeman. , .
- 1989. Photosynthetic carbon partitioning: its regulation and possibilities for manipulation. Physiologia Plantarum 77: 633–641. , .
- 1994. Plant growth, storage, and resource allocation: from flux control in a metabolic chain to the whole-plant level. In: SchulzeED, ed. Flux control in biological systems. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 57–118. , .
- 1987. Control of photosynthetic sucrose formation. In: BoardmanNK, ed. The biochemistry of plants, vol. 10: photosynthesis. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 327–409. , , .
- 1997. Combined effects of elevated CO2 and air temperature on carbon assimilation of Pinus taeda trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 373–380. .
- 2002. Leaf respiration at different canopy positions in sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua) grown in ambient and elevated concentrations of carbon dioxide in the field. Tree Physiology 22: 1157–1166. , , , , , .
- 2001. Modelling respiration of vegetation: evidence for a general temperature-dependent Q10. Global Change Biology 7: 223–230. , , .
- 2001. The response of leaf respiration to temperature and leaf characteristics in three deciduous tree species differs at sites of contrasting soil moisture. Tree Physiology 21: 571–578. , , , , , .
- 2002. The relative impacts of daytime and night-time warming on photosynthetic capacity in Populus deltoides. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1729–1737. , , .
- 1981. Techniques of analysis of variance in experimental marine biology and ecology. Oceanography and Marine Biology Annual Reviews 19: 513–605. .
- 1995. Response of carbon metabolism to night temperature in cotton. Agronomy Journal 87: 1193–1197. , , .
- 1998. Leaf carbohydrate responses to CO2 enrichment at the top of a tropical forest. Oecologia 116: 18–25. , , .
- 1999. Construction and engineering of a created environment: overview of the Biosphere 2 closed system. Ecological Engineering 13: 43–63. , , , .
- 1997. The role of temperature in determining the stimulation of CO2 assimilation at elevated carbon dioxide concentration in soybean seedlings. Physiologia Plantarum 100: 126–132. , .