Distinct regulation of sucrose: sucrose-1-fructosyltransferase (1-SST) and sucrose: fructan-6-fructosyltransferase (6-SFT), the key enzymes of fructan synthesis in barley leaves: 1-SST as the pacemaker
Version of Record online: 14 JAN 2004
Volume 161, Issue 3, pages 735–748, March 2004
How to Cite
Nagaraj, V. J., Altenbach, D., Galati, V., Lüscher, M., Meyer, A. D., Boller, T. and Wiemken, A. (2004), Distinct regulation of sucrose: sucrose-1-fructosyltransferase (1-SST) and sucrose: fructan-6-fructosyltransferase (6-SFT), the key enzymes of fructan synthesis in barley leaves: 1-SST as the pacemaker. New Phytologist, 161: 735–748. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.00995.x
- Issue online: 30 JAN 2004
- Version of Record online: 14 JAN 2004
- Received: 28 August 2003 Accepted: 29 October 2003; doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.00995.x
- 1991. Fructan chemical structure and sensitivity to an exohydrolase. Carbohydrate Research 217: 137–151. , , , .
- 1984. Fructans polymerised and depolymerised in the internodes of winter wheat as grain-filling progressed. Plant Science Letters 36: 213–218. , , .
- 1986. Dynamics of vacuolar compartmentation. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 37: 137–164. , .
- 1991. Production of mouse epidermal growth factor in yeast: high-level secretion using Pichia pastoris strains containing multiple gene copies. Gene 105: 205–212. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. 14-3-3s regulate global cleavage of their diverse binding partners in sugar-starved Arabidopsis cells. EMBO Journal 19: 2869–2876. , , , , , .
- 1995. Sucrose:fructan 6-fructosyltransferase (6-SFT), a key enzyme for diverting carbon from sucrose to fructan in barley leaves. Plant Physiology 104: 1249–1255. , , , , .
- 1968. The mechanism of fructosan metabolism in higher plants as exemplified in Helianthus tuberosus L. New Phytologist 67: 517–531. , .
- 2003. The enclosed and exposed part of the peduncle of wheat (Triticum aestivum) – spatial separation of fructan storage. New Phytologist 159: 245–252. .
- 1993. Control of mRNA stability in higher plants. Plant Physiology 102: 1065–1070. .
- 1993. Evolutionary origins and natural functions of fructans – a climatological, biogeographic and mechanistic appraisal. New Phytologist 123: 3–14. .
- 1998. Expression of a functional barley sucrose: fructan 6-fructosyltransferase in the methylotrophic yeast Pichia pastoris. FEBS Letters 440: 356–360. , , , , .
- 2002. Molecular characterization of sucrose:sucrose 1-fructosyltransferase and sucrose:fructan 6-fructosyltransferase associated with fructan accumulation in winter wheat during cold hardening. Bioscience Biotechnology and Biochemistry 66: 2297–2305. , .
- 1998. Carbohydrates in individual cells of epidermis, mesophyll, and bundle sheath in barley leaves with changed export or photosynthetic rate. Plant Physiology 118: 1525–1532. , , , .
- 2001. Carbon allocation and sugar status in individual cells of barley leaves affects expression of sucrose: fructan 6- fructosyltransferase gene. Annals of Applied Biology 138: 27–32. , , , , .
- 2000a. Isolation of sucrose:sucrose 1-fructosyltransferase (1-SST) from barley (Hordeum vulgare). New Phytologist 145: 225–232. , , , .
- 2000b. Cloning and functional analysis of sucrose:sucrose 1-fructosyltransferase from tall fescue. Plant Physiology 124: 1217–1227. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Roles of the fructans from leaf sheaths and from the elongating leaf bases in the regrowth following defoliation of Lolium perenne L. Planta 213: 109–120. , , , .
- 2000. Disaccharide-mediated regulation of sucrose:fructan-6-fructosyltransferase, a key enzyme of fructan synthesis in barley leaves. Plant Physiology 123: 265–273. , , , , .
- 2001. Light and sugar regulation of the barley sucrose:fructan 6-fructosyltransferase promoter. Journal of Plant Physiology 158: 1601–1607. , , , , .
- 1968. Determination of fructose in the presence of a large excess of glucose. 5. A modified cysteine–carbazole reaction. Agricultural and Biological Chemistry 32: 701–706. .
- 2001. Protein kinase and phosphatase activities are involved in fructan synthesis initiation mediated by sugars. Planta 213: 640–646. , , .
- 1991. Regulation of sucrose: sucrose-fructosyltransferase in barley leaves. Plant Physiology 97: 811–813. , , , .
- 2003. Balancing supply and demand: the spatial regulation of carbon metabolism in grass and cereal leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 489–494. , , , , , .
- 2003a. Engineering fructan metabolism in plants. Journal of Plant Physiology 160: 811–820. , .
- 2003b. Fructans: beneficial for plants and humans. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 223–230. , .
- 1997. Fructan and fructan-metabolizing enzymes in the growth zone of barley leaves. New Phytologist 136: 73–79. , , , , .
- 1993. The role of carbohydrate storage and redistribution in the source–sink relations of wheat and barley during grain filling. A review. New Phytologist 123: 233–245. .
- 1993. Fructan synthesis in excised barley leaves. Identification of two sucrose: sucrose fructosyltransferases induced by light and their separation from constitutive invertases. Plant Physiology 101: 459–468. , , , .
- 1995. Purification, cloning, and functional expression of sucrose: fructan 6-fructosyltransferase, a key enzyme of fructan synthesis in barley. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 11652–11656. , , , , .
- 1999. Invertases. Primary structures, functions, and roles in plant development and sucrose partitioning. Plant Physiology 121: 1–8. .
- 2003. Fructan 1-exohydrolases: beta-(2,1)-trimmers during graminan biosynthesis in stems of wheat? Purification, characterization, mass mapping, and cloning of two fructan 1-exohydrolase isoforms. Plant Physiology 131: 621–631. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Inulin metabolism in dicots: chicory as a model system. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 803–813. , .
- 1986. Properties and subcellular localization of fructan hydrolase in the leaves of barley (Hordeum vulgare L. cv. Gerbel). Journal of Plant Physiology 123: 429–439. , .
- 1989. Fructan metabolism in expanded primary leaves of barley (Hordeum vulgare L. cv. Gerbel). Change upon ageing and spatial organization along the leaf blade. Journal of Plant Physiology 134: 237–242. , .
- 1983. Fructan metabolism in cereals: induction in leaves and compartmentation in protoplasts and vacuoles. Zeitschrift für Pflanzenphysiologie 112: 359–372. , , .
- 1986. Regulation of fructan metabolism in leaves of barley (Hordeum vulgare L. cv. Gerbel). Plant Physiology 81: 444–447. , , .
- 1997. Effects of short-term phosphorus deficiency on carbohydrate storage in sink and source leaves of barley (Hordeum vulgare). New Phytologist 136: 131–135. , .
- 2000. Fructan accumulation induced by nitrogen deficiency in barley leaves correlates with the level of sucrose: fructan 6-fructosyltransferase mRNA. Planta 211: 701–707. , , .
- 1995. Fructan – an extension of sucrose by sucrose. In: PontisHG, SalernoGL, EcheverriaEJ, eds. International symposium on sucrose metabolism. Rockville, MA, USA: American Society of Plant Physiology Press, 179–188. , , .
- 1998. Proteasome inhibitors prevent tracheary element differentiation in zinnia mesophyll cell cultures. Plant Physiology 118: 419–430. , , .