Spatial patterns and metabolic regulation of photosynthetic parameters during leaf senescence
Version of Record online: 8 JAN 2004
Volume 161, Issue 3, pages 781–789, March 2004
How to Cite
Wingler, A., Marès, M. and Pourtau, N. (2004), Spatial patterns and metabolic regulation of photosynthetic parameters during leaf senescence. New Phytologist, 161: 781–789. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.00996.x
- Issue online: 30 JAN 2004
- Version of Record online: 8 JAN 2004
- Received: 4 September 2003 Accepted: 15 October 2003; doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.00996.x
- 1985. Photosynthetic oxygen exchange. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 36: 27–53. .
- 2001. Enzymatic and non-enzymatic lipid peroxidation in leaf development. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1533: 266–276. , , , , , .
- 2003. The molecular analysis of leaf senescence – a genomics approach. Plant Biotechnology Journal 1: 3–22. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Overexpression of Arabidopsis hexokinase in tomato plants inhibits growth, reduces photosynthesis, and induces rapid senescence. Plant Cell 11: 1253–1266. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Why leaves turn red in autumn. The role of anthocyanins in senescing leaves of red-osier dogwood. Plant Physiology 127: 566–574. , , .
- 1994. Nitrogen metabolism in senescing leaves. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 13: 241–273. , .
- 2002. Imaging of photo-oxidative stress responses in leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 1249–1254. , , , .
- 1989. The relationship between the quantum yield of photosynthetic electron transport and quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 990: 87–92. , , .
- 2001. Ultrastructural and biochemical changes in chloroplasts during Brassica napus senescence. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 39: 777–784. , , , , .
- 2002. Photoinhibition and loss of photosystem II reaction centre proteins during senescence of soybean leaves. Enhancement of photoinhibition by the ‘stay-green’ mutation cyt6. Physiologia Plantarum 115: 468–478. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Developmental and age-related processes that influence the longevity and senescence of photosynthetic tissues in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 5: 553–564. , , , .
- 2001. Nutrients mobilized from leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana during leaf senescence. Journal of Plant Physiology 158: 1317–1323. , .
- 1994. Regulation of light harvesting in green plants. Indication by nonphotochemical quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence. Plant Physiology 106: 415–420. , , .
- 2003. The abundance of minor chlorophyll a/b-binding proteins CP29 and LHCI of barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) during leaf senescence is controlled by light. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 375–383. , .
- 1994. Sugar sensing in higher plants. Plant Cell 6: 1665–1679. , .
- 2002. Programmed cell death during rice leaf senescence is nonapoptotic. New Phytologist 155: 23–32. , .
- 2001. Primary sites of ozone-induced perturbations of photosynthesis in leaves: identification and characterization in Phaseolus vulgaris using high resolution chlorophyll fluorescence imaging. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 1689–1696. , , .
- 2002. Characterization of a novel lipoxygenase-independent senescence mechanism in Alstroemeria peruviana floral tissue. Plant Physiology 130: 273–283. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. A pigment-binding protein essential for regulation of photosynthetic light harvesting. Nature 403: 391–395. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Measurement of differences in red chlorophyll fluorescence and photosynthetic activity between sun and shade leaves by fluorescence imaging. Photosynthetica 38: 521–529. , , , .
- 1998. Modifications in photosystem II photochemistry in senescent leaves of maize plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 1671–1679. , .
- 2001. Characterization of photosynthetic pigment composition, photosystem II photochemistry and thermal energy dissipation during leaf senescence of wheat plants grown in the field. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 1805–1810. , , , .
- 2002. Arabidopsis seedling growth, storage lipid mobilization, and photosynthetic gene expression are regulated by carbon : nitrogen availability. Plant Physiology 128: 472–481. , , .
- 2000. Characterization of the sink/source transition in tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum L.) shoots in relation to nitrogen management and leaf senescence. Planta 211: 510–518. , , , , .
- 2002. Diurnal changes in the expression of glutamate dehydrogenase and nitrate reductase are involved in the C/N balance of tobacco source leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1451–1462. , , , , .
- 2001. Sink–source transition in tobacco leaves visualized using chlorophyll fluorescence imaging. New Phytologist 151: 585–595. , , , , , .
- 1994. Free radical metabolism, pigment degradation and lipid peroxidation in leaves during senescence. Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 102B: 459–471. , .
- 1997. Elevated CO2 effects during leaf ontogeny. A new perspective on acclimation. Plant Physiology 115: 1195–1200. , , , , , .
- 2003. Role of the Arabidopsis glucose sensor HXK1 in nutrient, light, and hormonal signaling. Science 300: 332–336. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Non-photochemical quenching. A response to excess light energy. Plant Physiology 125: 1558–1566. , , .
- 2002. Plant aging increases oxidative stress in chloroplasts. Planta 214: 608–615. , .
- 2000. Kinetic imaging of chlorophyll fluorescence using modulated light. Photosynthesis Research 66: 3–12. , , , , .
- 1995. Effects of free-air CO2 enrichment on the development of the photosynthetic apparatus in wheat, as indicated by changes in leaf proteins. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 855–864. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The sugar-mediated regulation of genes encoding the small subunit of Rubisco and the regulatory subunit of ADP glucose pyrophosphorylase is modified by phosphate and nitrogen. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 443–454. , , , .
- 1997. Senescence mechanisms. Physiologia Plantarum 101: 746–753. , , .
- 1991. Prediction of photoinhibition of photosynthesis from measurements of fluorescence quenching components. Planta 184: 538–544. .
- 1996. Interaction between nitrogen deficit of a plant and nitrogen content in the old leaves. Plant and Cell Physiology 37: 1083–1089. , , .
- 1997. Sugar repression of photosynthesis: the role of carbohydrates in signalling nitrogen deficiency through source : sink imbalance. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 110–116. , .
- 2001. One of two tandem Arabidopsis genes homologous to monosaccharide transporters is senescence-associated. Plant Molecular Biology 46: 447–457. , , .
- 1996. Photosynthesis in localised regions of oat leaves infected with crown rust (Puccinia coronata): quantitative imaging of chlorophyll fluorescence. Planta 199: 573–582. , .
- 2000. Sugar-induced signal transduction in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 51: 49–81. .
- 2002. Regulation of photosynthesis during Arabidopsis leaf development in continuous light. Photosynthesis Research 72: 21–37. , , , .
- 1999. The interaction between elevated carbon dioxide and nitrogen nutrition: the physiological and molecular background. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 583–621. , .
- 2003. Defining senescence and death. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 1127–1132. , , , .
- 1998. Regulation of leaf senescence by cytokinin, sugars, and light. Effects on NADH-dependent hydroxypyruvate reductase. Planta 116: 329–335. , , , , .