Changes in cold tolerance and the mechanisms of acclimation of photosystem II to cold hardening generated by anther culture of Festuca pratensis × Lolium multiflorum cultivars
Article first published online: 13 FEB 2004
Volume 162, Issue 1, pages 105–114, April 2004
How to Cite
Rapacz, M., Gasior, D., Zwierzykowski, Z., Lesniewska-Bocianowska, A., Humphreys, M. W. and Gay, A. P. (2004), Changes in cold tolerance and the mechanisms of acclimation of photosystem II to cold hardening generated by anther culture of Festuca pratensis × Lolium multiflorum cultivars. New Phytologist, 162: 105–114. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01024.x
- Issue published online: 13 FEB 2004
- Article first published online: 13 FEB 2004
- Received: 18 September 2003 Accepted: 28 November 2003doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01024.x
- 2002. Photosynthesis and photoprotection in overwintering plants. Plant Biology 4: 545–557. , , , , .
- 1991. Temperature-dependence of violaxanthin deepoxidation and nonphotochemical fluorescence quenching in intact leaves of Gossypium-hirsutum L. & Malva parviflora L. Planta 184: 226–234. , .
- 2000. Expressed sequence tags (ESTs) during cold-acclimation in Festuca pratensis include a homologue of the chloroplast gene psbA. J. Ex. Bot. 51: 72. , , , , , .
- 1992. Photoprotection and other responses of plants to high light stress. Annals of Review of Plant Physiological Molecular Biology 43: 599–626. , .
- 1993. An introduction to the bootstrap. Chapman & Hall, London, UK. , .
- 1989. The relationship between the quantum yield of photosynthetic electron transport and quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence. Bioch Biophysica Acta 990: 87–92. , , .
- 1997. Acclimation to freezing temperatures in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne). Acta Physical Plant 19: 505–515. , , , .
- 2001. The protective functions of carotenoid and flavonoid pigments against excess visible radiation at chilling temperature investigated in Arabidopsis npq and tt mutants. Planta 213: 953–966. , .
- 2003. Advances in introgression technologies for precision breeding within the Lolium = Festuca complex. Annals of Applied Biology 143: 1–10. , , .
- 1998. Interspecific genomic rearrangements in androgenic plants derived from a Lolium multiflorum×Festuca arundinacea (2n = 5x = 35) hybrid. Heredity 80: 78–82. , , , , , .
- 1996. Sensing environmental temperature change through imbalances between energy supply and energy consumption: Redox state of photosystem II. Physiological Plant 98: 358–364. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Photosynthesis, photoinhibition and low temperature acclimation in cold tolerant plants. Photosynth Research 37: 19–39. , , , , , .
- 1998. Energy balance and acclimation to light and cold. Trends in Plant Science 3: 224–230. , , .
- 1978. Freezing tolerance in grasses. Methods for testing in controlled environments. Department of Farm Crops Report no. 195. Ås, Norway: Sci Rep Agr University Norway. .
- 2001. Androgenesis from Festuca pratensis×Lolium multiflorum amphidiploid cultivars in order to select and stabilize rare gene combinations for grass breeding. Heredity 86: 167–176. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Low temperature induces the accumulation of phenylalanine ammonia-lyase and chalcone synthase mRNAs of Arabidopsis thaliana in a light-dependent manner. Plant Physiology 108: 39–46. , , , .
- 2001. Survey of gene expression in winter rye during changes in growth temperature, irradiance or excitation pressure. Plant Molecular Biology 45: 691–703. , , , .
- 2002. Genstat 6 1 Reference Manual. VSN International: Oxford, UK. .
- 2001. Susceptibility to low-temperature photoinhibition and the acquisition of freezing tolerance in winter and spring wheat: The role of growth temperature and irradiance. Physiological Plant 113: 499–506. , , , .
- 1998a. The effects of day and night temperatures during early growth of winter oilseed rape (Brassica napus L. var. oleifera cv. Gorczanski) seedlings on their morphology and cold acclimation responses. Acta Physiologica Plant 20: 67–72. .
- 1998b. The after-effects of temperature and irradiance during early growth of winter oilseed rape (Brassica napus L. var. oleifera cv. Gorczanski) seedlings on the progress of their cold acclimation. Acta Physiologica Plant 20: 73–78. .
- 2002a. Regulation of frost resistance during cold deacclimation and reacclimation in oilseed rape. A possible role of PSII redox state. Physiological Plant 115: 236–243. .
- 2002b. Cold-deacclimation of oilseed rape (Brassica napus var. oleifera) in response to fluctuating temperatures and photoperiod. Annals of Botany 89: 543–549. .
- 1998. Physiological effects of winter rape (Brassica napus var. oleifera) prehardening to frost. I. Frost resistance and photosynthesis during cold acclimation. Journal of Agronomy Crop Science 181: 13–20. , .
- 2002. Two different strategies for light utilization in photosynthesis in relation to growth and cold acclimation. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 761–771. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Chlorophyll fluorescence as a nonintrusive indicator for rapid assessment of in vivo photosynthesis. In: SchultzeE-D, CaldwellMM, ed. Ecophysiology of photosynthesis. Berlin, Germany Springer-Verlag, 49–70. , , .
- 1996. Biostatistical analysis, 3rd edn. Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA: Prentice Hall. .
- 1999. Androgenesis from a Lolium multiflorum×Festuca arundinacea hybrid to generate extreme variation for freezing-tolerance. Plant Breed 118: 497–501. , , , .
- 2002. Androgenesis in a Lolium multiflorum×Festuca arundinacea hybrid to generate genotypic variation for drought resistance. Euphytica 125: 1–11. , , , , .
- 1998. Genome recombination in intergeneric hybrids between tetraploid Festuca pratensis and Lolium multiflorum. Journal of Heredity 89: 324–328. , , , .
- 1999. Regeneration of anther-derived plants from pentaploid hybrids of Festuca arundinacea×Lolium multiflorum. Euphytica 105: 191–195. , , , .