Rhizodeposition stimulated by elevated CO2 in a semiarid grassland
Version of Record online: 19 MAR 2004
Volume 162, Issue 2, pages 447–458, May 2004
How to Cite
Pendall, E., Mosier, A. R. and Morgan, J. A. (2004), Rhizodeposition stimulated by elevated CO2 in a semiarid grassland. New Phytologist, 162: 447–458. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01054.x
- Issue online: 19 MAR 2004
- Version of Record online: 19 MAR 2004
- Received: 22 November 2003 Accepted: 05 February 2004; doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01054.x
- 2000. Dynamics of root systems in native grasslands: effects of elevated atmospheric CO2. New Phytologist 147: 73–85. , , , , , .
- 1988. Soil organic-matter turnover in long-term field experiments as revealed by C-13 natural abundance. Soil Science Society of America Journal 52: 118–124. , , .
- 1997. Nitrogen cycling in microcosms of yellow birch exposed to elevated CO2: simultaneous positive and negative below-ground feedbacks. Global Change Biology 3: 247–258. , .
- 2001. Contrasting effects of elevated CO2 on old and new soil carbon pools. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 33: 365–373. , , , , III, , , .
- 1977. Mineral cycling in rangeland ecosystems. In: SosebeeRE, ed. Rangeland plant physiology. Denver, CO, USA: Society for Range Management, 215–256. .
- 1998. Elevated CO2 reduces the nitrogen concentration of plant tissues. Global Change Biology 4: 43–54. , , .
- 1990. Elevated atmospheric CO2 effects on belowground processes in C3 and C4 estuarine marsh communites. Ecology 71: 2001–2006. , , , .
- 1997. Root production and turnover and carbon budgets of two contrasting grasslands under ambient and elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations. New Phytologist 137: 247–255. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Differential C isotope discrimination by fungi during decomposition of C3- and C4-derived sucrose. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 66: 4180–4186. , .
- 2002. Root production and demography in a California annual grassland under elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide. Global Change Biology 8: 841–850. , , , .
- 2000. Long-term effects of elevated atmospheric CO2 on below-ground biomass and transformations to soil organic matter in grassland. Plant and Soil 224: 85–97. , , .
- 1998. The response of soil microorganisms and roots to elevated CO2 and temperature in a terrestrial model ecosystem. Plant and Soil 2002: 251–262. , , , , , .
- 1997. Morphology and tissue quality of seedling root systems of Pinus teada and Pinus ponderosa as affected by varying CO2, temperature and nitrogen. Plant and Soil 195: 107–119. , , .
- 2002. Separating microbial respiration of exudates from root respiration in non-sterile soils: a comparison of four methods. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 34: 1621–1631. .
- 1994. Carbon isotope dynamics of CO2-enriched FACE cotton and soils. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 70: 87–101. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Stable-carbon isotopes and soil organic carbon in the 1996 and 1997 FACE wheat experiments. New Phytologist 150: 305–314. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Elevated [CO2], temperature increase and N supply effects on the turnover of below-ground carbon in a temperate grassland ecosystem. Plant and Soil 210: 233–247. , .
- 2003a. Uncertainties in interpretation of isotope signals for estimation of fine root longevity: theoretical considerations. Global Change Biology 9: 1118–1129. .
- 1992. Use of 13C variations at natural abundance for studying the biodegradation of root mucilage, roots and glocose in soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 24: 1065–1072. , , .
- 2003. Impacts of fine root turnover on forest NPP and soil C sequestration potential. Science 302: 1385–1387. , , , , .
- 2001. Belowground primary production by carbon isotope decay and long-term root biomass dynamics. Ecosystems 4: 139–150. , .
- 1988. A generalized model of the effects of grazing by large herbivores on grassland community structure. American Naturalist 132: 87–106. , , .
- 1994. Consequences of growth at two carbon dioxide concetrations and two temperatures for leaf gas exchange in Pascopyrum smithii (C3) and Bouteloua gracilis (C4). Plant, Cell & Environment 17: 1023–1033. , , , .
- 2001. Elevated CO2 enhances water relations and productivity and affects gas exchange in C3 and C4 grasses of the Colorado shortgrass steppe. Global Change Biology 7: 451–466. , , , .
- 2004. CO2 enhances productivity, alters species composition and reduces digestibility of shortgrass steppe vegetation. Ecological Applications 14: 208–219. , , , , , .
- 2004. Elevated CO2 increases soil moisture and enhances plant water relations in a long-term field study in semi-arid shortgrass steppe of Colorado. Plant and Soil (In press.) , , , , , .
- 2001. Carbon allocation in calcareous grassland under elevated CO2: a combined 13C pulse-labelling/soil physical fractionation study. Functional Ecology 15: 43–50. , , , .
- 1997. Effects of elevated CO2 on rhizosphere carbon flow and soil microbial processes. Global Change Biology 3: 363–377. , , , , , .
- 1999. Carbon partitioning and rhizosphere C-flow in Lolium perenne as affected by CO2 concentration, irradiance, and below-ground conditions. Global Change Biology 5: 669–678. , , , , .
- 2004a. Belowground process responses to elevated CO2 and temperature: a discussion of observations, measurement methods, and models. New Phytologist 162: doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01053.x , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Elevated atmospheric CO2 effects and soil water feedbacks on soil respiration components in a Colorado grassland. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 17: doi: 10.1029/2001GB001821 , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004b. Stable isotope constraints on net ecosystem production in elevated CO2 experiments. In: Flanagan, LB, Ehleringer, JR, Pataki, DE, eds. Stable Isotopes and Biosphere–Atmosphere Interactions, in press. , , , , .
- 2001. Uncertainty in source partitioning using stable isotopes. Oecologia 128: 304. , .
- 2000. Fine-root growth, mortality, and morphology in a factorial elevated atmospheric CO2 soil N availability experiment. Ecological Applications 10: 18–33. , , , , , .
- 1999. Responses of plants to elevated atmospheric CO2: root growth, mineral nutrition and soil carbon. In: LuoY, MooneyHA, eds. Carbon Dioxide and Environmental Stress. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 215–244. , , , .
- 2000. Carbon-13 input and turn-over in a pasture soil exposed to long-term elevated atmospheric CO2. Global Change Biology 6: 123–135. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Carbon isotope dynamics during grass decomposition and soil organic matter formation. Ecology 76: 1383–1392. , , , .