Is photosynthesis limited by decreased Rubisco activity and RuBP content under progressive water stress?
Article first published online: 19 MAR 2004
Volume 162, Issue 3, pages 671–681, June 2004
How to Cite
Bota, J., Medrano, H. and Flexas, J. (2004), Is photosynthesis limited by decreased Rubisco activity and RuBP content under progressive water stress?. New Phytologist, 162: 671–681. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01056.x
- Issue published online: 19 MAR 2004
- Article first published online: 19 MAR 2004
- Received: 21 October 2003 Accepted: 26 January 2004; doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01056.x
- 1987. Photon yield of O2 evolution and chlorophyll fluorescence characteristics at 77K among vascular plants of diverse origins. Planta 170: 489–504. , .
- 2002. CO2/O2 specificity factor of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase in grapevines (Vitis vinifera L.): first in vitro determination and comparison to in vivo estimations. Vitis 41: 163–168. , , , , , .
- 1976. Photosynthesis at low water potentials. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 273: 501–512. .
- 1982. Plant productivity and environment. Science 218: 443–448. .
- 1997. CO2 and water vapour exchange across leaf cuticle (epidermis) at various water potentials. Plant Physiology 114: 185–191. , , .
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilising the principle of protein dye binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248–254. .
- 1997. Qualitative effects of patchy stomatal conductance distribution features on gas-exchange calculations. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 867–880. , , .
- 2000. Biochemical Models of Leaf Photosynthesis. Techniques in Plant Science No. 2. Collingwood, VA, Australia: CSIRO Publishing. .
- 1986. The relationship between steady state gas exchange in in vivo RuP2 carboxylase activity and some carbon cycle intermediates in Raphanus sativus. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 13: 669–688. , .
- 2001. Responses of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase, protein content, and stomatal conductance to water deficit in maize, tomato, and bean. Photosynthetica 39: 221–226. , , , , .
- 2003. The use of low [CO2] to estimate diffusional and non-diffusional limitations of photosynthetic capacity of salt-stressed olive saplings. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 585–594. , , .
- 1991. Effects of water deficits on carbon assimilation. Journal of Experimental Botany 42: 1–16. .
- 2003. Understanding plant responses to drought – from genes to the whole plant. Functional Plant Biology 30: 239–264. , , .
- 2002. Functional groups in Quercus species derived from the analysis of pressure-volume curves. Trees 16: 465–472. , , .
- 1994. Drought stress and high light effects on leaf photosynthesis. In: BakerNR, BowyerJR, eds. Photoinhibition of photosynthesis from molecular mechanisms to the field. Oxford, UK: BIOS Scientific Publishers, 297–313. .
- 2002. Photosynthetic carbon reduction and carbon oxidation cycles are the main electron sinks for photosystem II activity during a mild drought. Annals of Botany 89: 887–894. , .
- 2001. Drought-stress effects on physiology, growth and biomass production of rainfed and irrigated Bell Pepper plants in the Mediterranean region. Journal of the American Society of Horticultural Sciences 126: 297–304. , , .
- 1999. Stomatal and non-stomatal limitations of photosynthesis under water stress in field-grown grapevines. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 26: 421–433. , , .
- 1982. Stomatal conductance and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 33: 317–345. , .
- 2002. Drought-inhibition of photosynthesis in C3 plants: stomatal and non-stomatal limitation revisited. Annals of Botany 89: 183–189. , .
- 1999. Water stress induces different levels of photosynthesis and electron transport rate regulations in grapevines. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 39–48. , , .
- 2002. Effects of drought on photosynthesis in grapevines under field conditions: an evaluation of stomatal and mesophyll limitations. Functional Plant Biology 29: 461–471. , , , , .
- 1989. The relationship between the quantum yield of photosynthetic electron transport and quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 990: 87–92. , , .
- 1992. Regulation of photosynthesis rate of two sunflower hybrids under water stress. Plant Physiology 98: 516–524. , , .
- 2002. Photosynthetic responses to water deficit in six Mediterranean sclerophyll species: possible factors explaining the declining distribution of Rhamnus ludovici-salvatoris, an endemic Balearic species. Tree Physiology 22: 687–697. , , , .
- 1993. Use of transgenic plants with Rubisco antisense DNA to evaluate the rate limitation of photosynthesis under water stress. Plant Physiology 103: 629–635. , .
- 1992. Relationship between photosystem II activity and CO2 fixation in leaves. Physiologia Plantarum 86: 180–187. , .
- 1983. Calculation of leaf photosynthetic parameters considering the statistical distribution of stomatal apertures. Journal of Experimental Botany 34: 1627–1635. .
- 1996. Determining photosynthetic parameters from leaf CO2 exchange and chlorophyll fluorescence. Plant Physiology 110: 903–912. , .
- 1996. Analysis of inhibition of photosynthesis due to water stress in the C3 species Hordeum vulgare and Vicia faba: electron transport, CO2 fixation and carboxylation capacity. Photosynthesis Research 49: 57–69. , , .
- 1995. The effects of water deficit on photosynthesis. In: SmirnoffN, ed. Environment and Plant Metabolism. Flexibility and Acclimation. Oxford, UK: BIOS Scientific Publishers, 129–160. .
- 2002. Photosynthetic carbon assimilation and associated metabolism in relation to water deficits in higher plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 275–294. , .
- 2002. Limitations to leaf photosynthesis in field-grown grapevine under drought – metabolic and modelling approaches. Functional Plant Biology 29: 451–459. , , , .
- 1992. Effects of water-deficit stress on photosynthesis, its components and component limitations, and on water use efficiency in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Plant Physiology 100: 733–739. , .
- 2002. Regulation of photosynthesis of C3 plants in response to progressive drought: the interest of stomatal conductance as a reference parameter. Annals of Botany 89: 895–905. , , , , .
- 1999. Acclimation to long-term water deficit in the leaves of two sunflower hybrids: photosynthesis, electron transport and carbon metabolism. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 127–138. , , , .
- 1997. Regulation of Rubisco inhibitors in the light. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 528–534. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Rubisco activity: effects of drought stress. Annals of Botany 89: 833–839. , , , , .
- 2001. Changes in Rubisco and Rubisco activase gene expression and polypeptide content in Pinus halepensis M. subjected to ozone and drought. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 123–131. , , , , .
- 2001. Possible explanation of the disparity between the in vitro and in vivo measurements of Rubisco activity: a study in loblolly pine grown in elevated pCO2. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 1555–1561. , , .
- 1990. Water stress effects on photosynthesis. Photosynthetica 24: 651. .
- 1999. Water stress inhibits plant photosynthesis by decreasing coupling factor and ATP. Nature 401: 914–917. , , , .
- 2002. Effects of water deficit and its interaction with CO2 supply on the biochemistry and physiology of photosynthesis in sunflower. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 1781–1791. , , , .
- 2002. Photosynthesis and the enzymes of photosynthetic carbon reduction cycle in mulberry during water stress and recovery. Photosynthetica 40: 233–236. , , , , .
- 1989. A comparison between the coupled spectrophotometric and uncoupled radiometric assays for RuBP carboxylase. Photosynthesis Research 22: 167–171. , .