Long-term acclimation of leaf production, development, longevity and quality following 3 yr exposure to free-air CO2 enrichment during canopy closure in Populus
Version of Record online: 13 APR 2004
Volume 162, Issue 2, pages 413–426, May 2004
How to Cite
Tricker, P. J., Calfapietra, C., Kuzminsky, E., Puleggi, R., Ferris, R., Nathoo, M., Pleasants, L. J., Alston, V., De Angelis, P. and Taylor, G. (2004), Long-term acclimation of leaf production, development, longevity and quality following 3 yr exposure to free-air CO2 enrichment during canopy closure in Populus. New Phytologist, 162: 413–426. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01057.x
- Issue online: 13 APR 2004
- Version of Record online: 13 APR 2004
- Received: 17 October 2003 Accepted: 26 January 2004doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01057.x
- 1990. Plant responses to rising carbon dioxide and potential interactions with air pollutants. Journal of Environmental Quality 19: 15–34. .
- 1990. The response of natural ecosystems to the rising global CO2 levels. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 21: 167–196. .
- 1998. Analysis of cell division and elongation underlying the developmental acceleration of root growth in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiology 116: 1515–1526. , .
- 2003. Photosynthesis and stomatal conductance responses of poplars to free-air CO2 enrichment (POPFACE) during the first growth cycle and immediately following coppice. New Phytology 159: 609–621. , , , , , .
- 2001. Photosynthesis, soluble and structural carbon compounds in two Mediterranenan oak species (Quercus pubescens and Q. ilex) after lifetime growth at naturally elevated CO2 concentrations. Plant Biology 3: 288–298. , , , , , .
- 1995. Elevated CO2 and hybrid poplar – a detailed investigation of root and shoot growth and physiology of Populus euramericana Primo. Forest Ecology and Management 74: 103–116. , , , .
- 2003. Free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) enhances biomass production in a short-rotation poplar plantation (POPFACE). Tree Physiology 23: 805–814. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Photosynthetic acclimation to elevated CO2 in poplar grown in glasshouse cabinets or in open top chambers depends on duration of exposure. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 1681–1689. , , , , .
- 2001. Elevated CO2 and nitrogen supply alter leaf longevity of grassland species. New Phytology 150: 397–403. , .
- 1998. A meta-analysis of elevated CO2 effects on woody plant mass, form and physiology. Oecologia 113: 299–313. , .
- 1995. Interacting effects of soil fertility and atmospheric CO2 on leaf-area growth and carbon gain physiology in Populus×euramericana (Dode) Guinier. New Phytologist 129: 253–263. , , , , .
- 2000. Gas exchange, leaf nitrogen and growth efficiency of Populus tremuloides in a CO2-enriched atmosphere. Ecological Applications 10: 3–17. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Cell cycling and cell enlargement in developing leaves of Arabidopsis. Developmental Biology 215: 407–419. , , , , .
- 1997. More efficient plants: a consequence of rising atmospheric CO2? Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 609–639. , , .
- 1957. The plastochron index. American Journal of Botany 44: 297–305. , .
- 1994. Stomatal characteristics of four native herbs following exposure to elevated CO2. Annals of Botany 73: 447–453. , .
- 2001. Leaf area is stimulated in Populus by free air CO2 enrichment through cell expansion and production. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 305–315. , , , , .
- 1995. Leaf growth of hybrid poplar following exposure to elevated CO2. New Phytologist 131: 81–90. , , .
- 2001. Leaf area dynamics in a closed poplar plantation under free-air carbon dioxide enrichment. Tree Physiology 21: 1245–1255. , , , .
- 2003. Three years of free-air CO2 enrichment (POPFACE) only slightly affect profiles of light and leaf characteristics in closed canopies of Populus. Global Change Biology 9: 1022–1037. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Are paleoclimate estimates biased by foliar physiognomic response to increased atmospheric CO2? PaleoGeographyraphy Paleoclimatology Paleoecology 124: 39–51. .
- 2000. The onset of photosynthetic acclimation to elevated CO2 partial pressure in field-grown Pinus radiata D. Don after 4 years. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 1089–1098. , , , .
- 2001. Growth in elevated CO2 can both increase and decrease photochemistry and photoinhibition of photosynthesis in a predictable manner. Dactylis glomerata grown in two levels of nitrogen nutrition. Plant Physiology 127: 1204–1211. , , .
- 2003. Large seasonal changes in Q10 of soil respiration in a beech forest. Global Change Biology 9: 911–918. , .
- 2003. Tropospheric O3 moderates responses of temperate hardwood forests to elevated CO2: a synthesis of molecular to ecosystem results from the Aspen FACE project. Functional Ecology 17: 289–304. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Photosynthesis, plant growth and N allocation in transgenic rice plants with decreased Rubisco under CO2 enrichment. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 383–389. , , , , .
- 1999. The carbon balance of tropical, temperate and boreal forests. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 715–740. , , .
- 2000. The effects of elevated CO2 on cell division rate, growth patterns and blade anatomy in young wheat plants are modulated by factors related to leaf position, vernalization and species. Plant Physiology 122: 1399–1415. .
- 2001. Free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) of a poplar plantation: the POPFACE fumigation system. New Phytologist 150: 465–476. , , , , , .
- 1999. The biochemical and molecular basis for photosynthetic acclimation to elevated atmospheric CO2. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 567–582. , , , .
- 1997. Effect of carbon dioxide, fertilization and irrigation on loblolly pine branch morphology. Trees 11: 485–493. , .
- 1999. Tree responses to rising CO2 in field experiments: implications for the future forest. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 683–714. , , , , .
- 1990. Changes in N and S leaf content, stomatal density and specific leaf area of 14 plant species during the last 3 centuries of CO2 increase. Journal of Experimental Botany 41: 1119–1124. , .
- 1999. Elevated CO2 and plant structure: a review. Global Change Biology 5: 807–837. , , , .
- 2004. Morphological and physiological and and biochemical traits influencing biomass productivity in short rotation coppice poplar. Canadian Journal of Forest Research (In press.) , , , .
- 1992. Leaf lifespan in relation to leaf, plant and stand characteristics among diverse ecosystems. Ecological Monographs 62: 365–392. , , .
- 1999. Generality of leaf trait relationships: a test across six biomes. Ecology 80: 1955–1969. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Response of plant roots to elevated carbon dioxide. Plant, Cell & Environment 15: 749–752. , , , .
- 1994. Acclimation of photosynthesis to increasing atmospheric CO2– the gas exchange perspective. Photosynthesis Research 39: 351–368. .
- 1999. Production physiology and morphology of Populus species and their hybrids grown under short rotation. III. Seasonal carbon allocation patterns from branches. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 29: 1419–1432. , , , , .
- 2001. Elevated [CO2] and nutrient status modified leaf phenology and growth rhythm of young Populus trichocarpa trees in a three-year field study. Trees 15: 403–413. .
- 1991. Rising CO2 levels and their potential significance for carbon flow in photosynthetic cells. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 741–762. .
- 1999. The interaction between elevated carbon dioxide and nitrogen nutrition: the physiological and molecular background. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 583–621. , .
- 1994. Elevated CO2 and plant growth – cellular mechanisms and responses of whole plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 45: 1761–1774. , , , , .
- 2001. Increased leaf area expansion of hybrid poplar in elevated CO2. From controlled environments to open-top chambers and to FACE. Environmental Pollution 115: 463–472. , , , , .
- 2003. Spatial and temporal effects of free-air CO2 enrichment (POPFACE) on leaf growth, cell expansion and production in a closed canopy of Populus. Plant Physiology 131: 177–185. , , , , , .
- 2003. Leaf senescence and late-season net photosynthesis of sun and shade leaves of overstory sweetgum (Liquidamber styraciflua) grown in elevated and ambient carbon dioxide concentrations. Tree Physiology 23: 109–118. , .
- 2000. Expression of the plant cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor ICK1 affects cell division, plant growth and morphology. Plant Journ 25: 613–623. , , , , .
- 2002. Manipulation of leaf shape by modulation of cell division. Development 129: 957–964. , , , .