Stomatal protection against hydraulic failure: a comparison of coexisting ferns and angiosperms
Article first published online: 30 MAR 2004
Volume 162, Issue 3, pages 663–670, June 2004
How to Cite
Brodribb, T. J. and Holbrook, N. M. (2004), Stomatal protection against hydraulic failure: a comparison of coexisting ferns and angiosperms. New Phytologist, 162: 663–670. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01060.x
- Issue published online: 30 MAR 2004
- Article first published online: 30 MAR 2004
- Received: 3 December 2003 Accepted: 27 January 2004; doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01060.x
- 2000. Stem hydraulic supply is linked to leaf photosynthetic capacity: evidence from New Caledonian and Tasmanian rainforests. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 1381–1388. , .
- 1999. The importance of xylem constraints in the distribution of conifer species. New Phytologist 143: 365–372. , .
- 2003. Stomatal closure during leaf dehydration, correlation with other leaf physiological traits. Plant Physiology 132: 2166–2173. , .
- 2004. Diurnal depression of leaf hydraulic conductance in a tropical tree species. Plant, Cell & Environment (In press.) , .
- 2003. Relations between stomatal closure, leaf turgor and xylem vulnerability in eight tropical dry forest trees. Plant Cell & Environment 26: 443–450. , , , .
- 2003. Dynamic changes in hydraulic conductivity in petioles of two savanna tree species: factors and mechanisms contributing to the refilling of embolized vessels. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1633–1645. , , , , .
- 2001. Vessels in ferns: structural, ecological, and evolutionary significance. American Journal of Botany 88: 1–13. , .
- 2002. Unraveling the effects of plant hydraulics on stomatal closure during water stress in walnut. Plant Physiology 128: 282–290. , , , .
- 1999. A relationship between humidity response, growth form and photosynthetic operating point in C3 plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 1337–1349. , .
- 2001. Trends in wood density and structure are linked to the prevention of xylem implosion by negative pressure. Oecologia 126: 457–461. , , , , .
- 1996. In situ gas exchange measurements and the adaptation to light regime of three species of Lycopodium. In: CamusJM, GibbyM, JohnsRJ, eds. Pteridology in perspective. Kew, UK: Royal Botanical Gardens, 599–610. , , .
- 1983. Costa Rican natural history. Chicago, MI, USA: University of Chicago Press. .
- 1991. Plant water status, hydraulic resistance and capacitance. In: PearcyRW, EhleringerJ, MooneyHA, RundelPW, eds. Plant physiological ecology. New York, NY, USA: Chapman & Hall, 161–183. , , , .
- 1998. Limits to water transport in Juniperus osteosperma and Pinus edulis; implications for drought tolerance and regulation of transpiration. Functional Ecology 12: 906–911. , , .
- 2001. Xylem cavitation in the leaf of Prunus laurocerasus L. and its impact on leaf hydraulics. Plant Physiology 125: 1700–1709. , , .
- 1985. Patterns in vascular plant diversification: an analysis at the species level. In: ValentineJW, ed. Phanerozoic diversity patterns: profiles in macroevolution. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. , , .
- 1978. Microhabitat, water relations and photosynthesis of a desert fern, Notholaena parryi. Oecologia 31: 293–309. .
- 2002. Ecological strategies in fern evolution: a neopteridological overview. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology 119: 1–33. .
- 1914. Some ecological considerations of certain fern prothallia. American Journal of Botany 1: 477–498. .
- 2003. The ‘hydrology’ of leaves: co-ordination of structure and function in temperate woody species. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1343–1356. , , , .
- 1997. Xylem cavitation in roots and stems of Douglas fir and White fir. Tree Physiology 17: 275–280. , .
- 1993. Paleobotany and the evolution of plants. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 1972. The measurement of the turgor pressure and the water relations of plants by the pressure-bomb technique. Journal of Experimental Botany 23: 267–282. , .
- 1990. Xylem anatomy and hydraulic conductance of Costa Rican Blechnum ferns. American Journal of Botany 77: 1610–1625. .
- 1982. Stipe anatomy, water potentials, and xylem conductances in seven species of ferns (Filicopsida). American Journal of Botany 69: 135–140. , .