Early plant growth: identifying the end point of the seedling phase
Article first published online: 14 MAY 2004
Volume 163, Issue 1, pages 61–66, July 2004
How to Cite
Hanley, M. E., Fenner, M., Whibley, H. and Darvill, B. (2004), Early plant growth: identifying the end point of the seedling phase. New Phytologist, 163: 61–66. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01094.x
- Issue published online: 14 MAY 2004
- Article first published online: 14 MAY 2004
- Received: 12 February 2004 Accepted: 16 March 2004; doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01094.x
- Anonymous. 1977. Technicon Industrial Method 334–74W/B+. Tarrytown, NY, USA: Technicon Industrial Systems.
- 1997. Frequencies and patterns of browsing by large herbivores on conifer seedlings. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research 12: 288–294. , .
- 2002. Effects of artificial and western spruce budworm (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae) defoliation on growth and Biomass allocation of Douglas-Fir seedlings. Journal of Economic Entomology 95: 587–594. , , .
- 2002. Life history evolution in Lodoicea maldivica (Arecaceae). Nordic Journal of Botany 22: 227–237. , , .
- 1964. Comparison of Kjeldahl and sulphuric acid–hydrogen peroxide methods and their salicylic acid-thiosulphate modifications for determining total nitrogen in grasses. Analyst 89: 670–673. , .
- 1985. Seed ecology. London, UK: Chapman & Hall. .
- 1987. Seedlings. In: RorisonIH, GrimeJP, HuntR, HendryGAF, LewisDH (eds). Frontiers of comparative plant ecology. New Phytologist 106: 35–47. .
- 1999. Comparison of seedling and adult palatability in annual and perennial plants. Functional Ecology 13: 546–551. , , .
- 2001. Plant strategies, vegetation processes and ecosystem properties, 2nd edn. Chichester, UK: Wiley and Sons. .
- 1977. The maintenance of species-richness in plant communities: the importance of the regeneration niche. Biology Reviews 52: 107–114. .
- 1998. Seedling herbivory, community composition and plant life history traits. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 1: 191–205. .
- 1995a. The effect of seedling age on the likelihood of herbivory by the slug Deroceras reticulatum. Functional Ecology 9: 754–759. , , .
- 1995b. An experimental field study of the effects of mollusc grazing on seedling recruitment and survival in grassland. Journal of Ecology 84: 754–759. , , .
- 1993. Mean relative growth rate. In: HendryGAF, GrimeJP (eds). Methods in comparative plant ecology: a laboratory manual. London, UK: Chapman & Hall, 98–102. , , , , , .
- 2000. Ecology of seedling regeneration. In: Fenner, M, ed. Seeds: the ecology of regeneration in plant communities. Wallingford, UK: CABI Publishing, 331–359. , .
- 1999. Effect of Western spruce budworm defoliation on the physiology and growth of potted Douglas-Fir seedlings. Forest Science 45: 280–291. , , .
- 1991. A uniform decimal code for growth stages of crops and weeds. Annals of Applied Biology 119: 561–601. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Growth and hare resistance of birches-testing defence theories. Oikos 77: 20–30. , , , , .
- 1997. Role of seedling growth on weed-crop competition. In: PraczykT (ed.). Proceedings of the 10th EWRS Symposium, Poznan, Poland. European Weed Research Society, Poznan, Poland, 3–12. , .
- 1997. Experiments in ecology. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1954. Determination of nitrogen in agricultural materials by the Nessler Reagent. II. Micro-determinations in plant tissue and in soil extracts. Journal of Science, Food and Agriculture 5: 364–369. , .
- 1974. A decimal code for the growth stages of cereals. Weed Research 14: 415–421. , , .