Differential gene expression of ARGININE DECARBOXYLASE ADC1 and ADC2 in Arabidopsis thaliana: characterization of transcriptional regulation during seed germination and seedling development
Version of Record online: 3 AUG 2004
Volume 163, Issue 3, pages 519–531, September 2004
How to Cite
Hummel, I., Bourdais, G., Gouesbet, G., Couée, I., Malmberg, R. L. and El Amrani, A. (2004), Differential gene expression of ARGININE DECARBOXYLASE ADC1 and ADC2 in Arabidopsis thaliana: characterization of transcriptional regulation during seed germination and seedling development. New Phytologist, 163: 519–531. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01128.x
- Issue online: 3 AUG 2004
- Version of Record online: 3 AUG 2004
- Received: 19 February 2004 Accepted: 16 April 2004
- Arabidopsis Genome Initiative. 2000. Analysis of the genome sequence of the flowering plant Arabidopsis thaliana. Nature 408: 796–815.
- 1996. Ancestral multipartite units in light-responsive plant promoters have structural features correlating with specific phototransduction pathways. Plant Physiology 112: 1151–1166. , .
- 1997. Seed germination and dormancy. Plant Cell 9: 1055–1066. .
- 1993. Hairy root cultures of Hyoscyamus-musticus– effect of polyamine biosynthesis inhibitors. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 31: 51–58. , , , .
- 1995. Arginine decarboxylase is localized in chloroplasts. Plant Physiology 109: 771–776. , , , , , .
- 1996. Regulation of arginine decarboxylase by spermine in osmotically stressed oat leaves. Physiologia Plantarum 98: 105–110. , , , , .
- 2000. Characterization and translational regulation of the arginine decarboxylase gene in carnation (Dianthus caryophyllus L.). Plant Journal 24: 45–56. , , , .
- 1997. Expression of arginine decarboxylase in seedlings of indica rice (Oryza sativa L.) cultivars as affected by salinity stress. Plant Molecular Biology 34: 477–483. , , , .
- 1998. Identification of a low-temperature-responsive gene (blt4.9) from barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). Plant Molecular Biology 38: 551–564. , , , .
- 2002. Genome-wide distribution and potential regulatory functions of AtATE, a novel family of miniature inverted-repeat transposable elements in Arabidopsis thaliana. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 267: 459–471. , , , , .
- 1991. Changes in polyamine metabolism in response to abiotic stress. In: SlocumR, FloresHE, eds. The biochemistry and physiology of polyamines in plants. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press, 214–225. .
- 2002. Importance of methionine biosynthesis for Arabidopsis seed germination and seedling growth. Physiologia Plantarum 116: 238–247. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Phylogenetic utility of the nuclear gene Arginine Decarboxylase: an example from Brassicaceae. Molecular Biology and Evolution 15: 1312–1320. , , .
- 2001. Genes that are uniquely stress regulated in salt overly sensitive (sos) mutants. Plant Physiology 126: 363–375. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Exploiting the triple response of Arabidopsis to identify ethylene-related mutants. Plant Cell 2: 513–523. , .
- 2001. Arabidopsis polyamine biosynthesis: absence of ornithine decarboxylase and the mechanism of arginine decarboxylase activity. Plant Journal 27: 551–560. , , , , .
- 2002. Enhanced susceptibility of photosynthesis to low-temperature photoinhibition due to interruption of chill-induced increase of S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase activity in leaves of spinach (Spinacia oleracea L.). Plant and Cell Physiology 43: 196–206. , , , .
- 1979. Ornithine decarboxylase activity in rapidly proliferating plant cells. FEBS Letters 104: 146–149. , , .
- 2002. Involvement of polyamines in root development at low temperature in the subantarctic cruciferous species Pringlea antiscorbutica. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 1463–1473. , , , , .
- 1994. Characterization of a cDNA encoding a novel DNA-binding protein, SPF1, that recognizes SP8 sequences in the 5′ upstream regions of genes coding for sporamin and beta-amylase from sweet potato. Molecular and General Genetics 244: 563–571. , .
- 1994. An ethylene-responsive enhancer element is involved in the senescence-related expression of the carnation glutathione-S-transferase (GST1) gene. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 19: 8925–8929. , , .
- 1987. GUS fusion: β-glucuronidase as a sensitive and versatile marker in higher plants. European Molecular Biology Organization Journal 6: 3901–3907. , , .
- 2003. A simple method for obtaining cell-specific cDNA from small numbers of growing root-hair cells in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 1373–1378. , .
- 1997. Calcium signalling in Arabidopsis thaliana responding to drought and salinity. Plant Journal 12: 1067–1078. , , .
- 1997. Polyamine regulation of growth and chilling tolerance of rice (Oryza sativa L.) roots cultured in vitro. Plant Science 122: 111–117. .
- 2003. Sugar and hormone connections. Trends in Plant Science 8: 110–116. , .
- 2002. PlantCARE, a database of plant cis-acting regulatory elements and a portal to tools for in silico analysis of promoter sequences. Nucleic Acids Research 30: 325–327. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Contrasting effects of ethylene perception and biosynthesis inhibitors on germination and seedling growth of barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 1843–1849. , , .
- 1997. Organization and cell differentiation in lateral roots of Arabidopsis thaliana. Development 124: 33–44. , .
- 1994. Arginine decarboxylase of oats is activated by enzymatic cleavage into two polypeptides. Journal of Biological Chemistry 269: 2703–2706. , .
- 1997. Differential expression of ADC mRNA during development and upon acid stress in soybean (Glycine max) hypocotyls. Plant and Cell Physiology 38: 1156–1166. , , .
- 2001. Silencing of transposable elements in plants. Trends in Plant Science 6: 527–534. , .
- 1995. Expression of arginine decarboxylase is induced during early fruit development and in young tissue of Pisum sativum (L). Plant Molecular Biology 28: 997–1009. , , .
- 2002. Induction of the arginine decarboxylase ADC2 gene provides evidence for the involvement of polyamines in the wound response in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 130: 1454–1463. , , , .
- 2000. Ethylene promotes ethylene biosynthesis during pea seed germination by positive feedback regulation of 1-aminocyclo-propane-1-carboxylic acid oxidase. Planta 211: 144–149. , , .
- 2003. Plant C-N-hydrolases: identification of a plant N-carbamoylputrescine amidohydrolase involved in polyamine biosynthesis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 278: 1708–1712. , , .
- 2002. Transposon insertions in the promoter of the Zea mays a1 gene differentially affect transcription by the Myb factors P and C1. Genetics 161: 793–801. , , .
- 1996. Effects of short-term and long-term low temperature stress on polyamine biosynthesis in wheat genotypes with varying degrees of frost tolerance. Journal of Plant Physiology 148: 368–373. , , , , , .
- 2001. Sequential steps for developmental arrest in Arabidopsis thaliana seeds. Development 128: 243–252. , , .
- 2000. Characterization of arginine decarboxylase in rat brain and liver: distinction from ornithine decarboxylase. Journal of Neurochemistry 74: 2201–2208. , .
- 1995. Ethylene-binding sites generated in yeast expressing the Arabidopsis ETR1 gene. Science 270: 1809–1811. , .
- 1986. Localization of ornithine decarboxylase and changes in polyamine content in root meristems of Zea mays. Physiologia Plantarum 67: 485–492. , , , .
- 2000. Involvement of polyamines in the chilling tolerance of cucumber cultivars. Plant Physiology 124: 431–439. , , .
- 1997. General stress response: in search of a common denominator. In: HohmannS, MagerWH, eds. Yeast stress responses. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 213–230. , .
- 1999. Arabidopsis knockout mutation of ADC2 gene reveals inducibility by osmotic stress. FEBS Letters 458: 219–223. , .
- 1994. ClustalW: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighing, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Research 22: 4673–4680. , , , .
- 1996. Regulation of Arabidopsis thaliana L. Heynh arginine decarboxylase by potassium-deficiency stress. Plant Physiology 111: 1077–1083. , .
- 1998. Arginine decarboxylase (polyamine synthesis) mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana exhibit altered root growth. Plant Journal 13: 231–239. , , , .
- 1995. Functional dissection of the promoter of the pollen-specific gene NTP303 reveals a novel pollen-specific, and conserved cis-regulatory element. Plant Journal 8: 55–63. , , , .
- 1999. Two Arabidopsis mutants that overproduce ethylene are affected in the posttranscriptional regulation of 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid synthase. Plant Physiology 119: 521–530. , , .
- 1994. A novel cis-acting element in an Arabidopsis gene is involved in responsiveness to drought, low-temperature, or high-salt stress. Plant Cell 6: 251–264. , .